altec model 19's vs. klipsch chorus II's

jgarcia

ok, i brought out the 19's, and compared against the chorus 2's w/ the same 30 wpc sherwood tube amp. the 2's were more detailed w/ more bass to boot. WTF!!. i am thinking, the 19's have been put away for some time, so maybe i need to let them run a bit. what gives? do the 19's need to be remagnetized?

regards, j garcia

Chorus II's winning against altec 19's? Did I read that right? I wonder what's wrong with your altecs?

I've been listening to my Chorus (1's) connected to my 15 watt Super T amp and the detail is simply amazing.

With the right amp, these speakers are fantastic.

jgarcia said:
ok, i brought out the 19's, and compared against the chorus 2's w/ the same 30 wpc sherwood tube amp. the 2's were more detailed w/ more bass to boot. WTF!!. i am thinking, the 19's have been put away for some time, so maybe i need to let them run a bit. what gives? do the 19's need to be remagnetized?

regards, j garcia

The 19's are trash. Give them to me and don't look back. :D :D :D :D

i will have to pull the drivers out to see if they are alnico. maybe i need to recap them. i bought the chourus II's because that was a speaker i had not heard, and i had just bought a tube amp. real nice bass and detail out of this combo. all the talk about the 19's, i thought i should bring them back out. i was expecting more. they have been put away for about a year. the tweeter does not work on one of them now, i will look into this soon. i had the chourus on the left channel and the 19 on the right. i do not like the way the chourus sounds on ss at all. i will try this w/ the altec.

best regards, j garcia

I have Altec 19's and love them but I keep revisiting my time with the Chorus II's. I am thinking of selling my 19's and picking up some some Chorus II's. Hopefully I have no regrets!

No way should your Chorus's sound better ! Your 19's need a bit of maintenance my friend. First off your 19 crossovers should be rebuilt if they haven't been already.There are a couple mods that can be done to them to improve them as well.. The 416's should be remagged if they have the 416B..Also the HF drivers should be remagged as well..Without hearing them I can't recommend whether or not you need HF diaphragm replacement.

Altec has always maintained that corporate sound developed over the years and a Model 19 with the Equalization network had a very smooth high end. The Chorus had a different balance for me, maybe a tad brighter. The bass of both speakers is a little different, too. And I am not surprised about there being more bass from the Klipsch. Now whether it is accurate or not is to be determined by the listener. Its really put a bit of a perplexing mind scramble on my part. I normally prefer older Cornwalls, they had the smoothness of the model 19 and more accurate bass than either the Chorus or the Altec when placed against the wall. But a Chorus has to be placed away from the wall and in those positions A Cornwall and Altec don't fare as well. I would imagine it has a lot to do with the 19 suffering from bass issues as compared with the Chorus and more highs doesn't make things right either, and new Klipsch can be rather ragged on top if everything else is equal. That said I would rebuild the crossover and supplemental EQ circuit on the model 19, play around with positioning and if that doesn't work send the woofers to Great Plains Audio for a rebuild and possible up date.

regards, j garcia

Re-magging the woofers in all probability won't increase the bass, and may even decrease it. This is because a weaker magnet doesn't control the movement as well and may let the woofer "flop around" a bit more increasing the excursion for a given signal. It does improve the upper bass and mids.

Re-magging the woofers in all probability won't increase the bass, and may even decrease it. This is because a weaker magnet doesn't control the movement as well and may let the woofer "flop around" a bit more increasing the excursion for a given signal. It does improve the upper bass and mids.

The proper way forward would be to measure the drivers T/S parameters...FWIW it's hard to recommend anything without those in hand

Back
Top Bottom