Altec TL-217B Output Transformers

multichamp12

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey everyone, I recently was offered a pair of Altec TL-217B output transformers for a decent price, and have been debating whether to get them or not since there is hardly any info out there on them. They are fairly rare, and I have only seen 1 come up for sale in the past. The altec amplifiers they were used in bring thousands for a pair. They are 6.6k primary, and were used in multiple altec amplifiers, including the A-323 (A,B,C), the Altec/Century W3-11, and the A-324, using 6L6PP, 6J7, and 6J5 tubes.

I was considering building two 6L6 PP monoblocks with them, but am debating whether a pair of acrosounds would be a better choice. Heres the altec a-232c schematic they were used in. Its kind of a PITA to view on my computer at least since it will not let me rotate the schematic.
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/pictures/alteclansinga323c.gif

Any thoughts?

OQJEmeu.jpg

Error when looking at the schematic
You don't have permission to access /electronics/schematics/audio/pictures/alteclansinga323c.gif on this server.

Found it:
alteclansinga323c.gif

Last edited:
I would be careful. I have seen the A-323 twice with transformers that leaked DC to the secondary. They sound great when they are good but I think the insulation that particular transformer is prone to degradation.

If you can test the transformers with B+ on the primary and read 0 vdc on the secondary, go for it.

Check pics for signs of hot tar leakage as well. When they are leaky they get warm.

You gotta ask why they are not still in the original amps?

Back
Top Bottom