Altec University Speaker/EH Scott B Console

*cast aluminum, sorry. That's the mechanic in me showing through...

The cab is an 833a. Would be hell finding another to match.

And that Racon stuff is rare enough to where it doesn't get talked about much. Dates to around 1950. Probably a couple hundred in that unit alone I'm sure, depending on condition of course.

The small one is a University UTX-5.

No clue on that sealed back cone tweeter...

HyKlas, you're the man!!! Thanks for all of that info, exactly what I needed on the Altec. The Altec Lansing Verde 833A comes up once in a blue moon as singles. There's a pair on ePay, right now, they're asking almost 6k for, plus shipping. There was a single not too long ago that went unsold at 2k, plus shipping. It appears the Verde I'm looking at is a complete and total franken-speaker. Maybe I'll buy it, gut it, and make this a very long term project or part it out to work on buying these pair of Braun speakers I want for my tubes. Thanks again.:bowdown:

Elitopus, here's what is selling on ePay. It seems like that cut out to the left of the woofer should have a horn there, right? Seems like it's missing components, but what do I know. There's a ton more in the one I'm looking at.

IMG_2058.JPG IMG_2059.JPG IMG_2060.JPG IMG_2057.JPG

The 602B is a weird, and somewhat compromised, beast. The 416 woofer section doesn't really like to stretch up to meet the 3000 series tweeter.

The slot isn't for a horn, it's a port. You'd get better sound with a 604 or 605 in there, even if the cabinet is a bit small for one. Mid-century furniture lovers would go nuts for that 833 cabinet.

Ooo that speaker cab makes my legs tremble some.. Love Altec and that is my cup of tea right there. I'm always looking for those!

The mid century folks would either re-purpose the speaker, paint it, or maybe if you find the right one restore it purely for the look.

I personally would be the latter and do a complete restore, load it with either a 604-605 as mentioned and call it a day. I have the bug bad, but the Heathkit Legato's that I run help scratch the it at times.

How much would this sell for? I'm well aware of selling cabinets so someone can try to make them sing again, but I didn't think people would be interested to use just as furniture.

Now THAT is an exotic beast. I have never seen a Verde, especially not one with speaker guts from four different manufacturers in it! This is a case where I would recommend the gut and sell, just because nothing matches, and then dropping in the Legato parts, or a 604, or the Brauns you already have, with a new braced motorboard, and calling it good. The Verde has some nice lines.

As noted, the Verde is so rare as to make it hard to do more than guess at the price. The bigger high-style Altecs (namely the 830A Laguna and 831A Capistrano) command big money.

Conversely, the speaker values are the inverse of the enclosure size for these Altecs. The tiny Lido pairs get the most money historically, then the Capistranos, then the Lagunas, in this trio. I think shipping costs play a significant role in this relationship. The Verde fell in that gray area where they were not heavily advertised, and style wise were beat out at market by the similar JBL Harlan, so they withered on the sales vine. Being an Altec fan, I would not hesitate in picking a cabinet up locally for $300, and then tossing in the 414/N3000 or 604, for a mono speaker.

The Thorens looks like a Concert cd43 : http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/thorens-changer-vintage.747481/
The Scott I'm unfamiliar with.
From all the parts, it looks like it was built between 1952-1955. With maybe some year-later add-ons. I love this kind of stuff. If it was in front of me, I'd feel comfortable offering $200, I'd stretch to $250. I would then try to sell the Altec cabinet to Galaxy (for $100... Sound fair?) and sell off the rest of the parts except the Thorens... I'd like to play with the Thorens.
Good luck with the acquisition!

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to pull the Thorens out of the 800b... So many of those consoles have had the turntable replaced, it's pretty uncommon to find one with all original guts. Chrome covers on the amp appear to be unusually clean as well. If the cabinet is in good shape it's an excellent cantidate for someone to restore.

This is the other Scott company correct? If I recall, there was 2 named Scott, with one from the early days bringing outrageous sums of cash for their console amps.

Back
Top Bottom