1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Altec Valencia = Heathkit AS-101

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by hjames, Jan 20, 2018.

1. hjames

hjames dancing madly backwards ... Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Well, I was successful. I had a demo of a pair of these a couple weeks back and from all I read and heard about them, it seemed like a holy grail. Tonight I bagged a pair of them - so my new Altec project will begin once I get them home in a couple weeks. Like any nearly 50 year old speaker, they are not perfect - some dings and scrapes are there. And at a minimum, the crossovers need refreshing. But they look to be a good base to start with.

Front-Pix.png Inside.png
    crossover.png Woofer-rear.png

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BillWojo

BillWojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Aren't they sweet looking? I love the grill cloth, just something so cool about that. They blow the Valencias away in the looks department.
    I have a female friend over at the moment and have the stereo cranked up, playing some Mindy Abair, Robin Lee and Alison Krouse. The girl has tears in her eyes listening to this rig, just can't believe it.
    Ear buds will never be the same...............
    Oh, congrats on a great set of speakers!

BillWojo

EarlK likes this.
  3. bryans12v

bryans12v Marantz Junkie Subscriber

Congrats on the beautiful speakers! Always on the look out for a pair of those!

hjames likes this.
  4. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Behind The Curtain Staff Member Admin

You must be living right to snag a pair of those. Send some of the good karma my way. You can never have too many speakers. :beatnik:

hjames likes this.
  5. Leben

Leben AK Subscriber Subscriber

Congrats! I’ve only heard Valencias briefly but liked what I heard. I’d love to own a pair of those, glad you found a set. I’m looking forward to following along and seeing what you think of them.

hjames likes this.
  6. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan AK Member Subscriber

One of the better systems I heard was electrically stock Vals with very thick (2 or 3 inches) baffles and heroically damped horns driven by Conrad-Johnson tube gear. I think it was the electronics and the basic rightness of the speakers more than anything he did to the speakers.

Altec made a simple circuit that depressed the extra midrange, thereby extending the highs. If you intend to “improve” the speakers (which be best simply left alone) I think that circuit is the best place to start. This circuit is for 8 ohm drivers, the values would have to be changed for 16 ohm drivers; I think GD worked out those values, it was discussed here recently.

DC6AC971-850B-4713-8657-5F60A3090D64.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    hjames likes this.

7. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan AK Member Subscriber

GD on the values for the Altec compensation network.

DE1CBC8E-DA77-47A2-AA3A-9951C1626C44.png

hjames likes this.
  8. hjames

Thanks Tom!

9. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

Be sure to post your listening comparisons of the AS 101 with your Model 15.

The speakers appear to be in remarkable condition. Congratulations.

hjames likes this.
  10. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice! Great looking for sure.
    I just recapped the 30904 Networks on my Santiagos and have some fresh photos. I used Dayton 5% on them and the crossover and they sound wonderful.
    0122181451_resized.jpg 0122181451a_resized.jpg

11. hjames

Now, I had a Heathkit radio in school and still have a Heath audio sig gen on my workbench -
    even used some of the Heath gear as they drifted into Zenith Data Systems - and I was sad when Heath went out of business - apparently twice.

I'll share some interesting trivia on these speakers. After I closed the deal and made payment on the speakers, the seller told me his dad
    had been President of Heath company from 1966 to 1980. Call me cynical, but I've been on the internet since '96 or so ... and people Do say things.
    I used The Google and checked it out - the names are right, the locations are right, the times are right.

It appears that these Heathkit AS-101s, aka (early) Altec Valencias
    WERE actually owned by the president of Heath Company, were passed on to his son,
    were put in storage when they sold the house, and are now headed to me.

That is stunningly cool - I had no idea of that when I sniped the bid Saturday night!

12. cendrar

cendrar Member

Congratulations on your acquisition. Aside from the recommended crossover refresh, might I suggest building some stands to bring them up ~ 10 inches, this provides a significant improvement. It certainly was my experience with the Valencias.

. fullsizeoutput_f5e.jpeg

If you haven't read this little review you will likely enjoy it. https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-125

Ohighway and hjames like this.
  13. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

That certainly makes the speakers all the more special as well as helping to explain the condition. Glad to see they found an appreciative home. They are a treasure.

Well done and many, many congratulations. :beerchug:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    hjames likes this.
  14. dezmond76

dezmond76 Well-Known Member

Nice ones :beerchug:

15. K2SA

K2SA Active Member

Nice purchase, cool that they were Dave's speakers, he was a great guy.

hjames likes this.
  16. hjames

On the Way ... I'll have them this weekend!

ALTEC-uShip_0238 crop.jpg

17. BillWojo

BillWojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi Heather, I can feel your excitement. Looks like you have both of the HeathKit badges on there. Mine were missing one so I picked up some nice brass Altec Mistro badges on Ebay. Figured since the important parts were Altec the badges were just as appropriate. Can't wait till you get them hooked up.

BillWojo

18. hjames

I do like the brass Maestro badges, and I like the GPA Atom-age variation as well!
    Pretty amped up on all of this!

FWIW, I've got empty spaces downstairs, waiting to be filled!
    I need to put the Volkswoofer somewhere for a while (used it with the JBL L212s).
    The semi-loaded Model 15 are on the far right in front of my CD shelves,
    (once they're empty - FREE giveaway locally!) The L212s are just a bit further over ...
    The Heaths will go between the Von Schewikerts, 'til (Emma and) I figure out which are the keepers ...

(I really need to send those railings out to get them powder-coated silver! - too many projects)

Empty_Spaces-5849.JPG

19. hjames

Delivered ... More tomorrow!

Heath-In-Place_5861.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    EarlK likes this.
  20. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Anti-Muppet Subscriber