Altec Valencia = Heathkit AS-101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wooohoo - Bass Energizer Modules are ON THE WAY!!

16AWG teflon Silver plated red/black pair hookup wire has arrived,
as has the 470 ohm load resistors for the drivers - parts for for rebuilding the crossovers,

But with 3 busy weekends, I'll need to find the time!

And - still need a pair of 18 x 24" granite tops.

USPS delivered these today ... Altec Bass Energizers from 1966!
Note - I still have not rebuilt the original crossovers, and will need to refresh the caps in the Bass Energizer modules (I can hear a dullness in the treble), but - SHEESH!!
Lets just say these "Valencia" speakers hit HARD now.
Played Cousin Dupress, Boz Scaggs and Tree Top Flyer from Stills Alone - stunning!

IMG_6604.jpg IMG_6606.jpg

Last edited:
Can’t remember how much room is inside those. Maybe give these a try as cap replacements. Bennic 31 mfd Electrolytic Caps

If I didn't say so already, thanks again for the 100A sale, Bryan! And thanks for the link!

Yesterday I took some time to mount the Energizers to the back panel on the cabinet,
but the big deal will be finishing the crossovers I am reworking - If I get time today or tomorrow, I'll pull the back panel on the Heaths and finish the crossover rebuilds ...

Here is the High leg of the "valencia" crossover - 2 of them, with the huge Russian Teflon cap in place.
I have more work to go for the rest of the crossover (it all goes on the metal plate still mounted inside the cabinets).

Heath-Crossovers.jpg

Can’t remember how much room is inside those. Maybe give these a try as cap replacements. Bennic 31 mfd Electrolytic Caps
I just bought a quad of the Bennic 50 mfd caps for the energizers. The value my audio guru used for his pair was 100 mfd, he suggested 2 x 50 should fit decently in each case.
Madisound was $16 shipped priority ...

If I didn't say so already, thanks again for the 100A sale, Bryan! And thanks for the link!View attachment 1177442

You’re welcome, really good to see these being used again. I should have played with them more when I had them but... When tested on my Altec 816s there was a huge increase in bass while the mid, highs remained unchanged. Much better sound than just maxing out the bass tone control on my receiver. When pushed to high db’s they do suck up the watts though.

One crossover is now built, and installed ...
Sadly, I misfigured the length needed of the 16AWG Teflon/Silver hookup wire, so I ordered a 2nd package of the wire, due Monday.

I also ordered (new) Electrolytic caps from Madison for the (1966) Bass Energizer Boxes, so I bypassed the Energizers for now. Since its simply swapping caps, I should be able to rebuild them next week sometime.

The one refreshed speaker (on the left) is playing very well - & sounds better than the old-capped speaker on the right! Looking forward to finishing the second crossover!

Of course, I still need to get the stone tops for the cabinets.

Crossover-New_6612.jpg

Had a bit of time on Saturday morning, so I opened up the Bass Energizers
and saw an iron core choke and bundle under some black potting compound.
It felt waxy but its not like the beeswax in the old JBL crossover cans I've owned.

Put it in a shallow pot of water and set to boil ... it softened but never fully melted -
I gather its some kind of tarry compound and not wax. That smell of warm tar!
But with an old fork I was able to pop the old network loose from the warmed compound.

I peeled open the bundle - a cap and wirewound resistor.
The old caps (circa 1966) are 100mfd. Since I knew from my audio gurus they were 100mfd,
I had already ordered 4x 50mfd NP electrolytic caps from Madisound on Monday
I was worried that size might be an issue for larger values in that can, so I'll stack 2 per can,
and I'll start reassembly with fresh caps shortly.

ALTEC-BE-boiling_6617.jpg ALTEC-BE-apart_6618.jpg ALTEC-BE-partsview-Zoom_6621.jpgALTEC-BE-NewCaps_6622.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a schematic with a parts list anywhere for the Energizers? Any FR plots for it?
Thanks

BillWojo

Is there a schematic with a parts list anywhere for the Energizers? Any FR plots for it?
Thanks

BillWojo
Not that I've ever seen.
They have a single 100mfd cap, an unmarked choke, and 2 resistors,
which I did not measure.

Here is an article from a 1965 issue of Audio Magazine in PDF form.
The article had these charts -

Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 11.02.57 AM.png

Attachments

• AudioMag-Altec-Energizer.pdf
    794.5 KB · Views: 12
Any chance you could measure the resistance and inductance of the choke? That would be the hardest part to replace.

BillWojo

Any chance you could measure the resistance and inductance of the choke? That would be the hardest part to replace.

BillWojo
Well, they're closed up and screwed back in place onto the speakers.
I only swapped out the caps, and did not disturb the rest of the circuits ...
next time maybe ...

Done!
Crossovers are in and most everything is done, short of the stone tops.
Tho I'm playing them without the Bass Energizer for now (I have a bass rich room).
Sound is quite nice and full - very tight dynamics -
80s electrodrum stuff is almost too lively!

Last edited:
So - All I want to do now is listen to all of our music (again) and see what has changed.
Frankly, I was so happy to have them listenable again I just played a lot of tracks for my own aural amusement!

Emma listened to a number of her tunes for close to an hour last night as well.
Getting her review was like pulling teeth (!).
But she rated them an 8 out of 10 - says there is a bit of a drop in the low mids ...

I'll have to grab that Delos test CD and play some pink noise and see what it looks like on the Analyzer app on her iPad when I get home tonight - or over the weekend perhaps.

One thing I will say - with all the extended listening I have been doing in the last week,
this pair of Heath speakers images really well. Its also pleasant to listen -
I spent a 4 hour session in my easy chair Saturday and it was a great time.

One thing I will say - with all the extended listening I have been doing in the last week,
this pair of Heath speakers images really well. Its also pleasant to listen -
I spent a 4 hour session in my easy chair Saturday and it was a great time.

Heather can you recap what has been modded to date ( I've now lost track ).

F.I. , did you ever add a tweeter on top ?

:)

Heather can you recap what has been modded to date ( I've now lost track ).

F.I. , did you ever add a tweeter on top ?

:)
Basic Updates.
Modified Woofer replaced stock woofer (Same model)
Tweeter with back-cap pad and vent holes replaced original (Same Model)
Horns modified with 2 layer of QPad lead based damping material.
Notched Fiberglass panel installed between woofer and horn.
approx 4 cups of well fluffed lambs wool in lower cabinet area around woofer.
Existing Rock wool left undisturbed on sides and back.
Removed rock wool blocking "vents" at ends of horns.
2 tiles installed to the bottom of the cabinet - one 18x18 ceramic, one 12x12 granite with RTV silicon for constraint layers
2 tiles installed to the rear panel of the cabinet - one 18x18 ceramic, one 12x12 granite with RTV silicon for constraint layers.
Replaced internal wiring with 13 AWG stranded silver wire in teflon jacket.
Major rebuild/update to crossover network with polycarbonate & Teflon caps
Used stock inductors & tweeter controls.
Installed rebuilt Altec Bass Energizers with (new) Bennic Electrolytic caps.
After listening, removed Altec Bass Energizers (Maybe later) ...

I have NOT installed the stone tops with constraint layer yet but I still plan to
(time and $$ - I want to find a DEAL on price, and not pay market cost)

I have not added a top tweeter yet. I do have a schematic for adding a JBL slot tweeter,
but I'd build the crossover and see how that works.

And yet - I found a pair of JBL slots (2405H - ferrite, not alnico) here in Bartertown the other day for a fair price -
lets hope all is well with them ...

Checked in my parts shelf and found a single 2504 JBL Mounting Bracket for JBL tweeter!
I'd gotten it for 2405/077 slots - and could use one more right now!

Tweeter_Mount_6737.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom