Altec VOTT A7 on SF Bay Area CL

The cabs are a little rough. Rough like unfinished.

Honestly with homemade cabs, the value is in the drivers. I'm sure he priced them with some room to haggle.

Last edited:
The cabs are a little rough. Rough like unfinished.

Honestly with homemade cabs, the value is in the drivers. I'm sure he priced them with some room to haggle.
It looks like they were well executed by somebody who did some research before their build.

In my mind what kills the cabs is not the homemade DIY aspect, it's the personalized interpretation of adding the horn enclosure to make one big cabinet. That kills the versatility of an 825/828 cabinet, and prevents you from physically adjusting the phase alignment of the LF and HF sections when modifying, or otherwise experimenting with crossovers.

Additionally, an 825/828 box is already rather over-sized in terms of handling/moving. Why anyone would want to augment their hulk with the addition of more cabinet is beyond me.

It looks like they were well executed by somebody who did some research before their build.

In my mind what kills the cabs is not the homemade DIY aspect, it's the personalized interpretation of adding the horn enclosure to make one big cabinet. That kills the versatility of an 825/828 cabinet, and prevents you from physically adjusting the phase alignment of the LF and HF sections when modifying, or otherwise experimenting with crossovers.

Additionally, an 825/828 box is already rather over-sized in terms of handling/moving. Why anyone would want to augment their hulk with the addition of more cabinet is beyond me.

Definitely a bit odd, especially considering that Altec's preferred method of in-cabinet horn mounting was to simply flip them over and shove the horn in the port.

The cabs just look a little unfinshed. I bet if they were painted they could look nice.

I also don't like the cabs with built in horn enclosures. I don't want to be stuck with a 511 horn.

If I get that second pair of 828 this summer I was thinking about trying that. :eek:

You would have to squeeze some horns between them too. It wouldn't be a problem for the above setup, but for me, I'd have to make some sort of cradle for the top pair.

I always wanted to try stacked 817 cabs but could not find another pair close enough and cheap enough.

These Altecs look to be in great condition...wish I had the space to try them with my Dynaco Mk III's. Well, if you have the space...are these the correct drivers for the A7?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/6086292891.html

View attachment 909150

Hello,

Your Dynaco will drive those easily.

Those look serious as the guy seem to recess the Horn to match it... is this nice alignment ???
You can see the brace,
is it 3/4 inch Plywood?
The port still regular one.
At that price, very close to Altec model 19, can you listen to both, if you compare, you could be surprise, upon of were you use it.
Just my 2c

So, good luck. with the price if you decide to go for it.

Mario

Back
Top Bottom