Alternate dust cover for PL-530

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by kapohoguy, Apr 20, 2017.

1. kapohoguy

kapohoguy AK Subscriber Subscriber

I recently acquired a PL-530 with a trashed dust cover. Re-veneered the plinth and everything works great. I could buy a new dust cover on eBay but would prefer an original Pioneer. Finding a decent original dust cover however is a long shot. So I've been looking into what other Pioneer dust covers might fit. Info on this is hard to find but there is at least one AK thread about using PL-550/570 dust covers on the Pl-530. The 570 dust covers are a little bigger than the original 530s. Here's that thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-530-dust-cover-question.446747/#post-6449653

I also repair turntables for a local vintage record shop and have a Pioneer PL-A35 in my workshop right now. The dust cover on this turntable looked about the same size as the old one for my PL-530, the hinges were different, but everything else matched up. I swapped hinges and mounted the Pl-A35 dust cover on my PL-530. It fits perfectly, appears to be exactly the same size as the original. It is smoky while the original dust cover was clear. Check out the photos.
    P4200046.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Awesomeaudio

Awesomeaudio AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice going with the lid. I don't mind the look of the smokey type either.
    Hey, I have to ask. You mentioned that you have re veneered your TT.
    If and when you decide to do another can you do a DIY instructional ?
    I have a couple of turntables and some receivers that I wouldn't mind doing them sometime and would love to learn how to do it properly.
    Good post btw :thumbsup:

3. neevo

neevo Active Member

4. kapohoguy

5. kapohoguy

6. kapohoguy

7. Awesomeaudio

Hey neevo,
    Thanks for the link. I had a quick read and it's a very interesting post.
    I'll have to have a good read a bit later.
    I have a PL 530 and a 570 I'd like to do at some point.
    I see that you're also is Sydney.
    Where abouts ?
    I'm also having a tough time choosing a veneer and where is the best place to purchase the appropriate veneer.
    Have you worked with the sticky backed veneer or do you recommend to pva glue them ?
    Man, I also love the rca upgrade too.
    Very nice work :thumbsup:

8. Awesomeaudio

Good to know it fits. I think those new replacement lids are very high quality and really lifts the cosmetics to a new level.
    I'm going to get one for my 530 at some point. My 570 lid is fine, just needs a good cut and polish. That's easy.

9. kapohoguy

Update: I canceled the eBay order for the PL-550/570 lid. Thankfully the guy still hadn't shipped after 2 days! I found a PL-A35 lid on eBay for 1/4 the price, the seller is local and will deliver to my house. Sweet. I'll post a picture later.

10. Lost Monkey

Lost Monkey Active Member

I found a Lloyds (CEC built) TT in the wild a few years ago and the lid fit perfectly on my Pioneer PL-500 (which I had bought lidless over 20 years ago..). The lid was not branded so it was a great match. The Lloyds had some broken plastic parts on the mechanisms underneath, which would have been practically impossible to replace, so since I wasn't really "trashing" a good table, it ended up as a win/win.. basically I paid about $15 for a near mint lid for my PL-500...