alternative solar power collector

Yes it's real. Almost every scientist doing research on improving the efficiency or the manufacturing of new solar cells also mention transistors; almost interchangeably in regard to the doping of rare earths and silicon.

Take care,

Rob

Nifty experiment but would involve a lot of work to result in anything useful, powerwise. FWIW, I bought a 235 W, 37V module a couple of years ago for $150.

There is a lot of work being done on doping and efficiency with PV cells. If you''re interested in experimenting, individual cells and small modules are available on the secondary market. Check E Bay.

we have a supplier over here what sells second hand panels cheap . mainly 36v ones intended for grid tied systems but can be tamed with mppt controllers .
my main concern is the tonne of batteries needed for storage .i am a heavy user . constant 800 watts on average

I had never heard of them so I just read up on MPPT Controllers - interesting stuff.

we have a supplier over here what sells second hand panels cheap . mainly 36v ones intended for grid tied systems but can be tamed with mppt controllers .
my main concern is the tonne of batteries needed for storage .i am a heavy user . constant 800 watts on average
Not totally undoable but there will be battery management and panel amounts to work through, if going off-grid.

I had never heard of them so I just read up on MPPT Controllers - interesting stuff.

MPPT has been around for awhile. FWIW, I have a small Morningstar MPPT controller handling my single 235W module. It really is a great piece of electronica. Besides doing it's duty as a temp compensated battery charger, it has a PC interface that allows real time tracking, customizing charge set points, and does other duties like battery equalization or administering a separate 12 VDC output. All of that for around $200.

Back
Top Bottom