Always. Check. The. Resistor. Values. Don't. Trust. The. Label.

Seems like the SMD parts are a lot more accurate if you buy from Digikey etc. There is no marking on 0603, 0402 and smaller parts. You have to rely on their accuracy in manufacturing, the stake is too high. If there is any wrong part, it can cost a lot of money and the manufacturer will definitely complain and reputable distributors like Digikey will rectify the problem very very quick. Through hole resistors are really a thing of the past in the most part, quality control might be slipping. I never heard of SMD got it wrong from a few companies I worked for.

Alan, the resistors were colour coded correctly, they had just been put in the wrong bag by one of the major suppliers. They have credited me (at my request) with the (tiny) value of the resistors as I found I have spares of the 22ohm ones I needed.

Yes, I know, I was just telling my experience that the resistor I got has wrong value from the color band.

I've seen this a couple times on new modern metal films, that or colors very vague. I have poor color vision so I never count on the bands because I'll screw it up on my own anyway. If I'm not assembly line building boards I do measure all through hole resistors, its faster than finding my reading glasses anyway lol.

the new ones which are smaller, have more bands ( and sometimes you read them
backwards), and each band is very thin. It is impossible for me with ambient light and
unassisted eyes to determine it's value. and I have to pull out a 5-band color diagram.

For me, it is faster just to measure it.

Back
Top Bottom