Always-on Pioneer SX-1980

You'd be surprised at how much comes back from the nether reaches of "that Gray crap between your ears" as my dad puts it. The more you research the more you start to remember. Honestly, I'd find something a bit easier to fix 1st and work your way up to the 1980. You can always sell the lesser stuff to finance the next project, all the while reading up on everything you can on the 1980 (bookmark them as you read them so you have an index of 1980 threads).
:eek:"Sell the lesser stuff" !?!?? Blasphemy! This would interfere with my goals, which are simple - a silver-faced unit in each room!

I started fixes on the outside on the1980 with new walnut veneer. Somebody in the past had used what looked like a 36 grit flap wheel to remove the old veneer. The edges were rolled over and horrific gauges into the base plies. Making the outside pretty was very good spousal politics:

Veneer.JPG

Next I need to find a thread that gives direction to making top metal cover look more like OEM(color / texture / sheen). It now looks like some cretin with a tar mop and a drunkards confidence got a hold of it.

I think the top grill is just painted so maybe the best thing to do is either strip it or sand it back before priming and repainting?

I think the top grill is just painted so maybe the best thing to do is either strip it or sand it back before priming and repainting?
Wasn't sure if there was a texture like the 1250. Also wasn't sure of the gloss level - matte, semi or full gloss. The underside thankfully doesn't look like it was exposed the same sacrilege as the veneer or the top side of the metal cover. The underside is a matte black, not sure if the top side is supposed to be the same.

It can sometimes vary from different models but I've often found the bottom panels on the SX's to be Black Gloss. Sometimes higher gloss than the top but maybe that's just age. The top might be Black Satin?

Back
Top Bottom