Am I Cured Or Am I Afraid My Wife Will Bury My Body In A Shallow Grave?

I said no to a pair of Apogee Divas for free. Like you, to me holy grail speakers. They were in good shape operationally, but a mess cosmetically — and I'd made a vow No More Projects.

Do I regret it? Rarely — specifically when my friend who did take them tells me how great they are, how stupid I was, and every variation on the theme. I'm sick of explaining my reasons to him and I tell him to shut up — but I have to enforce it with seriously raised voice, because he gloats in it.

BTW, he did nothing about their appearance and they look like shit. So there!

Clever guy, your friend. He knows that he can keep razzing you for quite a while longer, before he slays you one day when you see the speakers beautifully restored.

So you were afraid to even ask ?
Whipped-calling-your-wife-not-matter-what.jpg

:D:jump::naughty::bye:

I wouldn't have passed those up.

But in reality your new speakers are probably good enough to keep a pig in the pen. Pigs are actually pretty easy to keep happy, they rarely break out of their pens, and if they do its usually because their is either a young gilt, or a fresh sow near by. On the other hand Cows always think the grass is better on the other side of the fence and are constantly getting out of their pastures. .

Last edited:
well, she did ask me if I still had my backhoe....

perhaps its just some drainage work around the house...?

A set of JBL L7s popped up on CL here recently, and I confess I was briefly tempted. However, with two complete sets of large JBLs already in use, and another set upstairs, and two sets in the basement unused, I decided I had enough. My Performance Series stacks are sounding great, why do I need another pair of speakers with a reputation of sounding terrific, if their placement is just right (otherwise, they apparently sound terrible).

I think you did the right thing. I also think there is a fine line between being a collector, and a hoarder, and I'm trying to stay on the collecting side.

Yeah, I saw a pair of DQ-10s the other day for a good price. I've always wanted to try a pair. But too many speakers already and the problem of placement... I passed. If I was single, maybe.

I read most of your posts and, as you’ve indicated in several, your JBLs are “long term” speakers. Why are you even looking? Sounds to me like you aren’t really cured yet.
Bob
There is no cure for many of us, always looking..sometimes it's a gearhead thing, the stuff is just so cool/unique. I can have a favorite meal but might want to change it up regardless.
I try not to look too much theses days as I'm pretty happy but you just never know.

Here's my guaranteed recipe for finding rare things I've been hankering for:

1. Balance checkbook.
2. Conclude that there is enough money for current needs and an ability to make a contribution to savings.
3. Compliment myself on being responsible and tell wife "If we are conservative with spending this month we will be in good shape."

4. Open Cragslist/Barter Town/Ebay "just to look around..."

5. Dilemma commences.

Works every time!

Once reach you a certain level of contentment with gear it's a lot easier to pass up good deals.

I think the many are ready to put theirs head into the proverbial trough, looking for that last edible morsel that will be better tasting than the one before. It's just the human condition that afflicts us to a large degree, which should not manifest itself in your current bodily condition, Mr. P.

Stay within the confines of your elected position in the animal kingdom and wont not for future audio tastes that might surpass your present diet of sound.

Q

I think the many are ready to put theirs head into the proverbial trough, looking for that last edible morsel that will be better tasting than the one before. It's just the human condition that afflicts us to a large degree, which should not manifest itself in your current bodily condition, Mr. P.

Stay within the confines of your elected position in the animal kingdom and wont not for future audio tastes that might surpass your present diet of sound.

Q

Yeah but I really do like these

attachment.php

Regards
Mister Pig

Yeah but I really do like these

attachment.php

Regards
Mister Pig

Wellllllllllllllll. They DO look purdy. They DO have a quality brand. IF they sound as good as they look...I too just might be tempted.

I wonder if the upper end would be compromised by the horn application? Not wanting to stir up the waters with the "Horny" types out there. lol

Can see why yer really on the fence on this one...as would I. And I'm a cat ! Not the fraidy one either! :D

Q

As my better half has moved on to that sound room in the sky I would give all I have to have her be at my side again in good health. So think twice what you wish for a pair of Apogees or your loving mate.

Really either one should keep a pig content in the pen. Myself I would want both, hide one out in the shed and move it in once and a while, but the Apogee's would lean more to my taste.

Back
Top Bottom