Am I doing this right? Set up advice sought.

Rociante

Hello Audiokarma,

I've been on here reading a lot lately, but this is my first time posting (also not a native English speaker, so sorry for that in advance).

I've been piecing together a low-budget set up in search for a better sounding system. Now since I'm back studying my budget is limited, and so i have made due with what I've been able to find, and this is what I have come up with:

Pioneer PL12D
with a Audio Technica AT-95 E pick up, connected to a TC-778 preamp. I also play 78's through this via a suitable Garrard player/pick up.
A Sony FA30ES amplifier connected to the four speakers below:
One pair of B&W DM5s. (Brought them home and fell in love instantly. They may lack a lot in the lower spectrum, but they do sing a lot for their size/price)
One pair of KEF 104ab. I got these from a friend recently, and they are much loved from what i read on line. The fact that they don't really awe me is partly why I'm writing this...

I have connected the DM5s to the "bi-wire" connectors and the KEFs to the "main" on the amp. Manual for the amp can be found here: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/res/manuals/3864/38644611M.pdf

I mostly listen to vinyl, talk radio, and some streaming services, with my music taste being as bastardous as my set up, where anything goes. Mostly jazz and "world music" lately.

I'm now seeking advice on where to go from here, what would you say are the main faults in this set up, and what components would you change/alter? Any any thoughts or criticisms on this would be most welcome.

Will also post pictures tomorrow.

Thank you for reading
/V

My advice would be to listen to the system as is for a good while. Determine what you like and do not like about the sound it is producing. Prioritize changes and upgrade as you are able to. The main thing is to enjoy the musical journey!

Back
Top Bottom