Am I going to blow up my cr-1020?!?

Riki

I recently aquired a CR-1020. There is a sticker on the back that says if you are running both pairs of speakers, at the same time, none should be under 8ohm.

IMG_20180903_101026.jpg

I have a pair 8ohm 16ohm speakers that I would like to run at the same time (45 and 30 watt rated respectively). Is this going to hurt the Yamaha?

When i was trying to do the same on my Marantz 2230, the general consensus I found was that mixing impedance would over stress the amp. I ended up running both speakers by jumping off of the preout of the Marantz to the power section of a pioneer qx-8000.

It woud be rad if the yamaha could run both speakers on it's own. According to the sticker, it sounds like it can. But it's also a little long in tooth.

What do you think?

You will be fine. They are warning you not to run two pair of speakers below 8 ohm. Having one higher is just fine.

Running two amps is better because you are able to balance the output to match. Though two amps is better, an 8ohm and a 16ohm will work together nicely on your Yammie. I said what I did because I have 3 double amp setups in my house; so that is decidedly my personal preference. Enjoy your new setup.

Back
Top Bottom