Am I ripping CDs correctly

airtime

I'm using my laptop and win10 to rip CD's in FLAC format. Then transfer them to a memory stick and play them on my Marantz NA7004.

When I listen to them they sound a tad "hollow" and the volume swings are very wide. It's like listening to a hearing test during the quiet sections and far too loud on the crescendos.

Is there something else I should or could be doing to transfer my CD's?

Should I be using another format than FLAC?

Another vote for EAC. Have you tried any commercial digital files to see if you have the same effect? That is, is it your rips or the DAC in your receiver?

Why would EAC FLAC sound different than WMP FLAC? Setup in WMP is simple, so that does not look like the issue.

I rip on one computer and transfer the same way to my music laptop. So that is not the issue.

I would try ripping Windows Media Audio Lossless and compare result.

My guess is the problem is somewhere else in the system and not the ripping software.

upload_2017-11-28_7-54-4.png

What are you comparing the sound to? For instance CD vs FLAC. The source CD should sound the same as FLAC file. If you have a way to test that.

Windows playback is weird too. Are you playing through Windows or having the Marantz read the files directly?

What are you comparing the sound to? For instance CD vs FLAC. The source CD should sound the same as FLAC file. If you have a way to test that.
I have, the CD has a fuller sound. More of a normal sound as compared to the copied files that lack a lot.

Are you 100% sure your files are FLAC? Have you checked the properties of a song or two to confirm?
I ask this because we had a similar discussion a few months back with somebody who was using WMP to rip and thought he was getting lossless. Turns out it was some sort of lossy Windows codec because he missed a settings thing.

I don't have much experience with WMP, I'm an EAC guy, but it seems like there are settings with it that you need to be aware of and they're not always obvious.

I will say one thing, and I know I'm not alone here, using FLAC is NOT the problem. It's either a funky settings thing with your ripper, or with your playback setup.
A track properly ripped with FLAC, and then properly played back will sound the same as the CD track.

It would help to know what model Marantz do you have. Is it an all in one DAC/Integrated amp?
If FLAC file or the CD played through the Marantz does not sound very good, then I would suspect the DAC in the Marantz.

Windows tries to do everything "for dummies" that often means that you either can't directly access the settings to make things exactly as you want it or in some cases its not even possible. I can't speak to the specifics of ripping with Win10 because I just don't do it. Win10 is the most dumbed down version of windows I've seen since windows Millennium. I personally wouldn't trust it for ripping CD's. You got good advice for using EAC. It is designed to give you accurate rips with no fuss. FLAC is functionally identical to the source so if you are hearing something funny its in your ripping process or playback mechanism.

No, I was using a NAD CDP. I did try the digital out using the Marantz. It wasn't great but it also wasn't that much different than the CD.

OK, if you are using digital out from CDP into Marantz and comparing to FLAC files directly read by Marantz that ought to be apples to apples. If you are perceiving a noticeable difference between the two it is probably time to look into how you're ripping. Either that or the Marantz is handling S/PDIF and FLAC files in a significantly different manner, but that would be surprising.

It would help to know what model Marantz do you have. Is it an all in one DAC/Integrated amp?
If FLAC file or the CD played through the Marantz does not sound very good, then I would suspect the DAC in the Marantz.
I stream a lot and it sounds great. So I don't think it's the DAC

I stream a lot and it sounds great. So I don't think it's the DAC

Most streaming is low resolution and if you were happy with the sound you may need to take a second look at ripping from CD's.
There is a lot of 'How To' help for EAC on the internet and I would suggest you look into this.

I had a similar experience ripping CD's to Windoze "Lossless" and dumped it in favor of the full featured dbpoweramp cd ripper product. It produced a much better rip with no Windoze codec interference, which I also felt sounded hollow with some weird volume attenuation effects.

Back
Top Bottom