Am I the only one avoiding going to the movies because..

All movies should go directly to DVD. Also, the reason movies are so loud is to overcome the noise made by the morons surrounding you at the theatre.

I also don't care for most theater parking lots. Too many people reading @ stupid phones, etc. Almost as bad as grocery store lots. (Aside: a couple of days ago an elderly woman uttered the word supermarket. When's the last time y'all heard that term voiced aloud?)

I also don't care for most theater parking lots. Too many people reading @ stupid phones, etc. Almost as bad as grocery store lots. (Aside: a couple of days ago an elderly woman uttered the word supermarket. When's the last time y'all heard that term voiced aloud?)

Don’t you mean "all Y’all"? That is the plural of y’all at least where I come from.:D

Brian said:
Have nor been in years. Last few times I went the volume gave me headaches

I cant stand the aweful loud volume either... Thats this digital sound for ya!!!

Its god aweful and not natural sounding @ all...

Last edited:
I will not go see "slasher" movies, try to avoid heavy violent crime movies, so it pretty much ended me seeing movies. I cannot even remember the last movie I went to, it may of been "Dracula, Dead and Loving It", a Mel Brooks film.

I wait for the DVD or Blue Ray to come out then we fix dinner and some beverages and quietly listen to or read a CC of the movie. If we have things to do(??) we won't miss a part of the movie.
My sound system is not the latest state of the art but it is close.

I`ll have to take you folk`s word for the deterioration of the movie theater experience, as I haven`t been to one since 1980 (Star Wars II)
And from what my friends, who occasionally go, tell me, that I`m no missing anything, and am better off buying the BR DVD movie, if I`m interested in it, and watching on my HT.
No obnoxious A$$Holes in my living room, or house.

With over a 1000 and growing BR DVD collection and a quite good HT 120" screen, 4K Sony projector & multi kilowatts Mac tube/SS tri-amplified sound system 7 channel setup, no real reason to put up with going to a movie theater.

And all my libations are made to my order & strength, and as cheap as Stollie`s and orange juice can be locally purchased, and nothing like being able to pause the movie to pee, make another drink, or step out for a smoke, or all three..

I really love the control of watching the movie my way(special features too), and played at my desired loudness levels..

OKB

Just saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. For me and my wife at least, the floors were clean (first matinee), not sticky, nobody was blabbing, nobody's phone rang, and there was no bad behavior. This was on a Monday - we avoided the Friday release day and the first weekend. It was too loud, but foam earplugs solved that for both of us. And the BIG SCREEN made it all worthwhile. :)

I believe there is a chain in Europe literally named: Profit Center HyperMarket.

Hooray for Truth In Advertising! :confused:

I`ll have to take you folk`s word for the deterioration of the movie theater experience

It's accurate. We still go but no longer to any general admission. We make it a night out and go to Lux Level showings and get dinner there. Cost ends up on parity with going out to hitting a show and getting moderate dinner after. The other alternative is the local cinema pub. We hit it often as well as film cost with burgers, pizza & beer is about the same as hitting the local town tavern for dinner. In either case the moron factor is reduced dramatically. You are usually surrounded by adults who are all there for the same reason.

It's accurate. We still go but no longer to any general admission. We make it a night out and go to Lux Level showings and get dinner there. Cost ends up on parity with going out to hitting a show and getting moderate dinner after. The other alternative is the local cinema pub. We hit it often as well as film cost with burgers, pizza & beer is about the same as hitting the local town tavern for dinner. In either case the moron factor is reduced dramatically. You are usually surrounded by adults who are all there for the same reason.

Well, soundmotor, if there was anything like you described above around here, then that might be a attractive situation to lure me to check it out, but sadly I am unaware of cinema pubs like you have mentioned around here, or at least, non of my more exploratory friends have ever mentioned.

But they may have a reason/incentive to not to, being they like to show up here, with quality take out, plus they are often in possession a handful of recently released BR DVD`s they`ve ordered off Amazon for me, or choose to select one of my 1000 + one`s, and so I end up firing up the Mac tube, SS amp/speaker tri-amped sound system, and a 120" Sony theater grade digital 4K projector.

And my well stocked liquor cabinet doesn`t seem to discourage their motive`s either !!
But, hey what are friends for.

Only been to one movie so far this year (about par or better for my age group) … Sicario Day of the Soldado. Really enjoyed it .. Taylor Sheridan comes through again. The pre-movie demo was too damn loud but the movie was at the proper volume level. The luxury motorized recliner was a nice touch.

Attended the 10am showing .. maybe the night showings are louder?. If I ever attend a night showing (highly doubtful) of one of those movies that younger folks like .. would probably take along some Heros Ear Plugs.

Things have not changed that much IMHO … worked at movie theatres when I was a high school teenager and the movie audience was mostly young with occasional middle aged or older folks attending the movies (far & few between) that you just knew would attract that age group. Theatre Movies experience were made (then & probably still are) to cater to the core audience .. same as it ever was.

Last edited:
I've only been to the movies once in my whole lifetime. It doesn't sound like I've missed too much.:)

New movies are about like new music for me. Not too much I'm interested in.

I use to go to movies all the time when in my youth .. things is … didn't cost me anything. I got in for free because it was a benefit of working at movie theatres. Worked out

Don't like many modern movies either (comic book/video game mantra) … I just think (IMHO) it's a natural occurrence of age.

I liked Jon Hamm's "Beirut" (this year) … didn't see it at the Movie Theatre … because it didn't even make it close to my area. Had to watch on DVD but it did not take long to come out. Hamm described it as "The kind of movie that does not get made anymore" … he got that right.

I use to go to movies all the time when in my youth .. things is … didn't cost me anything. I got in for free because it was a benefit of working at movie theatres. Worked out

Don't like many modern movies either (comic book/video game mantra) … I just think (IMHO) it's a natural occurrence of age.

I liked Jon Hamm's "Beirut" (this year) … didn't see it at the Movie Theatre … because it didn't even make it close to my area. Had to watch on DVD but it did not take long to come out. Hamm described it as "The kind of movie that does not get made anymore" … he got that right.
I can't really blame it too much on age. I'm only 34. Maybe I just have an old soul.
I just don't find most newer movies that appealing. The comedies aren't funny to me, just annoying. Horror/sci fi movies are mostly full of crappy CGI and not scary jump scares.:boring: Westerns are pretty much non existent. Some drama stuff is watchable, but not really my thing. And, don't get me started on the endless, unneeded remakes they have been churning out lately.:mad:

I can't really blame it too much on age. I'm only 34. Maybe I just have an old soul.
I just don't find most newer movies that appealing. The comedies aren't funny to me, just annoying. Horror/sci fi movies are mostly full of crappy CGI and not scary jump scares.:boring: Westerns are pretty much non existent. Some drama stuff is watchable, but not really my thing. And, don't get me started on the endless, unneeded remakes they have been churning out lately.:mad:

Don't remember what age I was when I stopped going to movies on regular basis. Do remember still going to theatres when I was living in the UK in mid 80's (my upper 20's) .. think I started to tail off when I got back to the US late 80's & early 90's.

Remakes .. I hear you. Nobody wants to take risks anymore. Re-cyle the same old, same old. Only new thing is that the remakes are usually worse than the originals anymore. :(

My last movie was the last Star Wars movie. It was loud but nothing like the rude people around me. They were talking, making comments as the movie continued, talking on the phone, unbelievable food related noise. This crap happens at every movie I have gone to in the last couple of year. I am no longer a movie theater fan. I'll wait and look at them at home.

My last movie was the last Star Wars movie. It was loud but nothing like the rude people around me. They were talking, making comments as the movie continued, talking on the phone, unbelievable food related noise. This crap happens at every movie I have gone to in the last couple of year. I am no longer a movie theater fan. I'll wait and look at them at home.

I hear ya KB :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom