Am I the only one who hates levers?

As much as I love the Pioneer SX-x3x line of receivers I really dislike that row of buttons on the SX-838 and larger models. They’re always causing problems, they’re hard to clean and they’re hard to see. Much prefer the toggle switches on the SX-x50 models.

A guy once told me it was "...a push/pull, twist/turn world". I gave him a menacing look, including the raised eyebrow and squinty eyelid, and said, "Oh, yeah? Then how come we "switch on" our gear?". Switch levers are for Real Men. Buttons are for fops.

thompsonmississippi.jpg
175px-Badische_Guillotine.JPG
wands2.jpg

Whenever you get dead serious about something, you go with switch levers.

I don't mind levers but they seem to get bent a lot from mishandling.
Definitely another vote for no sliders. Ugly and noisy.

I especially hated concentric volume and tone controls on cheap gear when it took two hands to control each channel individually.
Ah but concentric knobs should have a felt clutch washer between the knobs. This way, you can easily turn both together, even if they are set up differently.

While Archimedes did not invent the lever, he gave an explanation of the principle involved in his work On the Equilibrium of Planes. Earlier descriptions of the lever are found in the Peripatetic school of the followers of Aristotle, and are sometimes attributed to Archytas.[41][42] According to Pappus of Alexandria, Archimedes' work on levers caused him to remark: "Give me a place to stand on, and I will move the Earth."
[borrowed from Wikipedia]

Obviously Archimedes thought they were pretty cool!:idea:

While Archimedes did not invent the lever, he gave an explanation of the principle involved in his work On the Equilibrium of Planes. Earlier descriptions of the lever are found in the Peripatetic school of the followers of Aristotle, and are sometimes attributed to Archytas.[41][42] According to Pappus of Alexandria, Archimedes' work on levers caused him to remark: "Give me a place to stand on, and I will move the Earth."
[borrowed from Wikipedia]

Obviously Archimedes thought they were pretty cool!:idea:

Despite the fact that moving a planet and turning on a tuner's multipath filter are rather different applications, I am a fan of levers. Knobs are fine, but push buttons can have a BPC look/feel to them, and nothing shouts "cheap" like a slider. The capacitance switches on the old Philips Lab Series gear are cool. When they work.

View attachment 1217840
I don't mind levers like the 1978 lineup of Technics receivers have...
But I don't like Slider's At All .. Slider's are cheap and should never be used outside of seperate Multi Band EQ's or professional broadcast or recording equipment.
Slider's Suck!
When I think of levers I think of early Sony, where the flat metal shaft stuck out from a mere felt lined slit in the panel, not recessed through wide vertical slots. The style of the Technics loses that appeal for me... though the Technics is a good piece, I think linked to the levers are the square tube multi section switches used for pushbuttons, not wafer switches. I'm with most everybody else with the slide controls... don't like them at all on home audio equipment except multi band equalizers where facilitate the purpose by showing the curve at a glance.

Levers are not my favorites either. The Outlaw is knobs and pushbuttons. The center stack on our car has no knobs or levers all controls are touch and while it's not a must have I'm surprised how much I like it

Never had levers on any piece of equipment until my recently acquired Sansui TU-217 tuner.
Kinda diggin' them but yes, I can see them being easy to damage.

Levers and toggles are more reminiscent of 'mission control panels', test gear or 'cockpit switch panels'. I think they are more positive and lend a vintage 'air' to gear, one that pushbutton panels lack.

That said, levers and toggles can end up looking aesthetically messy, with some up and some down, whereas pushbuttons and rotary selectors keep the design 'look'

I think we are all in agreement with sliders and concentric level/ vol/balance controls- they are utterly putrid- leave them on mixing desks, not in my loungeroom.

OP must really struggle when presented with scissors or when listening to all the levers in a piano.

The only levers I have are on my first tape deck (which still runs great, by the way) and, not only have I always liked them, but they have just grown more endearing to me through the years.

Those big solid power switch toggles on the L-09s make a very satisfying and positive thunk when you operate them. You don't get that from a push button.

Back
Top Bottom