Amateur review of Schiit Vidar power amps in single and monoblock configuration

Hi everyone, now that I’ve had my Vidars for a week and change I'm going to write a review. First, let me say that these are my first “audiophile” amplifiers so I don’t have a whole lot to compare it to. My two Vidar monoblocks are replacing an Emotiva BasX A-300 poweramp, which puts out 150 watts per channel @8ohms and doubles to 300 watts at 4. My speakers are Sonus Faber Venere 3.0, which are 6 ohm, so let’s call it 225 watts per channel. I will also compare two Vidar monoblocks to a single Vidar running in stereo mode. Note: I spent some time listening to each device level matched using an SPL meter and pink noise. However, I mostly just spent time cycling through a folder of test tracks and constantly choosing volumes I enjoyed best for every device and track. These were almost certainly not the same SPL, but are "the same" in that they are my ideal listening level for each combination.

1 Vidar in stereo vs. Emotiva A-300:
The Emotiva is a $400 stereo amp and generally reputed to be a good value. It definitely made an improvement when I started running my L/R front channels from the preouts on my Marantz NR-1604 (entry-level slimline AVR) through it. Vidar costs $700 and change with shipping, so they’re close enough in price range that someone shopping for a budget amplifier might ask themselves if it’s worth another $300 to take their game up a notch. My answer is an unqualified “ABSOLUTELY”. If you can afford to spend an extra $300 on an amp, then you should seriously consider Vidar. Compared with the Vidar, the Emotiva is very “pale”, like looking through a pair of hazy-white eyeglasses, lacking contrast and detail. The Vidar was comparatively rich with vibrant color and dynamics. Blacks are blacker, whites are whiter, reds are redder, blues are bluer, etc. Bass extension was fuller and less effortful. Midrange seemed more forward and detailed, creating an overall much more complex musicality. The Emotiva did pretty well with electronic music, but really fell short on instruments and vocals. In general, vocals seemed too far forward to the point of stridency, while mids were too far back. SRV’s Tin Pan Alley was borderline unlistenable, while being so much more lush and enveloping with the Vidar. The major downsides with the Vidar is that it generates quite a bit of heat and has no standby mode or trigger port. It idles around 60W so it isn’t particularly green, and I think it takes a bit of time to warm up.

1 Vidar vs. 2 Vidar monoblocks: I tried going back to the Emotiva from my Vidars and entertained the possibility of returning/selling them and saving 1100-1200 bucks after restocking fees and return shipping which would likely be gargantuan for these heavyweight blocks of metal. I just can’t do it. If I really needed to, however, I could go back to 1 Vidar from 2. Don’t get me wrong, Vidar monoblocks are more of everything that makes the Vidar better than the A-300. In monoblock configuration these beasts are probably putting nearly 600 watts into my 6 ohm speakers. Everything is deeper, richer, fuller. Bass is significantly boomier and entirely effortless. I don’t think there is anything that these things won’t power, though one may run into some issues when trying to run monoblock with 4 ohm speakers because they aren’t technically rated for that.

Comparison with other component upgrades: I’ve also recently acquired a new (to me) preamp (Bryston BP17), which I was testing along with a Schiit Freya. I tried listening to the Emotiva A-300, 1 Vidar, and 2 Vidars with the Bryston, the Schiit, and just my old Marantz AVR. I’ll save you my thoughts on the Bryston, which I ultimately kept. If you have any questions about the Bryston or the Freya I’ll happily answer. Let me get straight to the point here: Two Vidars in monoblock configuration sounded FANTASTIC coming right out of my old Marantz. I’ll be absolutely clear, the Vidar monoblocks made a significantly larger, more musical, and unforgettable difference in my experience than getting a fancy preamp like the Bryston or the Schiit. Both of those devices did significantly change the sound signature of the music, but honestly I could do without a dedicated preamp. If I had to choose between getting 1 Vidar and 1 preamp versus 2 Vidars and 0 preamps, I’d get two Vidars. They difference they made is that big. In fact, I’m still thinking of selling my Bryston because the Vidars driving the preouts on $600 AVR from Best Buy sounded incredible. The highs were rolled off a bit compared with the incredibly revealing Bryston, but god it just sound goooood. Gummy and yummy.

Great review, thanks for taking the time. I was surprised that the Emotiva A-300 claims to double its wattage at 4 ohms. I checked out the product page, and Emotiva measured the 4 ohm spec with a completely different benchmark than the 8 ohm spec, which is underhanded in my book. They measured the 4 ohms at 1kHz at 1% THD instead of the 8 ohm's .1% THD 20-20 kHz. There's no way it can do 300 watts at .1% THD from 20-20kHz.

Great review, thanks for taking the time. I was surprised that the Emotiva A-300 claims to double its wattage at 4 ohms. I checked out the product page, and Emotiva measured the 4 ohm spec with a completely different benchmark than the 8 ohm spec, which is underhanded in my book. They measured the 4 ohms at 1kHz at 1% THD instead of the 8 ohm's .1% THD 20-20 kHz. There's no way it can do 300 watts at .1% THD from 20-20kHz.

Thanks for the kind words. That's a really good point. I didn't notice that.

I've read several glowing owner reviews of the Vidar, finding it's a step up from their existing gear. Does it get pretty warm in monoblock mode?

"In monoblock configuration these beasts are probably putting nearly 600 watts into my 6 ohm speakers."

"The highs were rolled off a bit compared with the incredibly revealing Bryston, but god it just sound goooood. Gummy and yummy."

Thank you for the nice review! Two points I would like to educate on:

The amps are probably putting out around 8 to 20 W RMS when you listen at high volumes. Only in certain peaks, like a big bassline, or if you play with the bass tone controls it needs more. Like 75 to 100. I would also run them monoblock, because I can. More in reserve is always more in reserve!

EQ is your friend. You like revealing, just EQ some "revealing" in. Or "Body".

Thanks again for the review, I want to buy those exact amps because I really like what Mike and Jason do. The whole thing, not "just" the products.

This review reminds me of when I replaced my Emotiva XPA amp. The Schiit product is really a different animal. Designed from the ground up by veterans in the industry, not ordered from a factory in China like the A-300(which also has internal fans). The Vidar is made in the USA from domestically sourced parts. I'm going to get some more Schiit by Christmas. I can't decide whether to get the Vidar or Freya first. Maybe I'll just get both!

Last edited:
This review reminds me of when I replaced my Emotiva XPA amp. The Schiit product is really a different animal. Designed from the ground up by veterans in the industry, not ordered from a factory in China like the A-300(which also has internal fans). The Vidar is made in the USA from domestically sourced parts. I'm going to get some more Schiit by Christmas. I can't decide whether to get the Vidar or Freya first. Maybe I'll just get both!
Both are great deals, imho! I have some thoughts on the Freya. In the end I ended up sending mine back, but it wasn't because it wasn't a good value. Mainly I wanted something a bit more fully featured with HT Bypass. Also, the tubes get very hot in tube mode and thus isn't child or pet friendly. If you get a Freya, I do recommend a tube upgrade to really make it sing. So in conclusion, if you have kids or curious pets, or your Freya will find itself situated within a home theater, it may not be or you. BUT, for a pure 2-ch system in room unlikely to be probed about by paws or small hands I don't think there's a better deal. Let me know if you have more questions.

They all do it. It is nothing new and nothing underhanded about it.

They all do it? That is simply not true, many amp manufactures don't change the parameters of the 4 ohm wattage specs when compared with the 8 ohm specs. Nad doesn't do it. Parasound doesn't do it. Schiit Audio doesn't do it. Wyred4Sound, Cary Audio, Marantz and I'll stop there. To say "they all do it" is a rationalization to defend Emotiva's silly attempt at stretching the numbers, and it's the worst kind of marketing.

Last edited:
Both are great deals, imho! I have some thoughts on the Freya. In the end I ended up sending mine back, but it wasn't because it wasn't a good value. Mainly I wanted something a bit more fully featured with HT Bypass. Also, the tubes get very hot in tube mode and thus isn't child or pet friendly. If you get a Freya, I do recommend a tube upgrade to really make it sing. So in conclusion, if you have kids or curious pets, or your Freya will find itself situated within a home theater, it may not be or you. BUT, for a pure 2-ch system in room unlikely to be probed about by paws or small hands I don't think there's a better deal. Let me know if you have more questions.

Yep, as far as the Freya goes, it does not have the latest features, and I am not a tube guy. Sound quality, true balanced output and the 3 modes for playback may be the things it has going for it. I have a separate 2 channel system so don't need to integrate it into my theater system.

For the money, it really does seem to be a good option.

Last edited:
I'd definitely be interested in hearing about your impressions of the Freya. After reading a few other reviews I'm just about definitely going to pick one up. I'd be running it in 2 channel only and have no curious fingers to poke at the tubes so it should be a good fit around here.
I only live about 2 (or 3 with traffic) hours from "The Schiitter", I really need to get up there and play with some of their gear.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing about your impressions of the Freya. After reading a few other reviews I'm just about definitely going to pick one up. I'd be running it in 2 channel only and have no curious fingers to poke at the tubes so it should be a good fit around here.
I only live about 2 (or 3 with traffic) hours from "The Schiitter", I really need to get up there and play with some of their gear.
I really liked the Freya! While I found the passive and JFET modes to be not particularly impressive or useful to me, tube mode is excellent and has a lot of room for improvement with tube upgrades. To me the JFET mode was a bit thin sounding, but had the nice feature of being immune to some kinds of EMI that tubes are susceptible to--so in that way it offers a certain flexibility. Tube mode was much fuller and richer. Not a trace of digital glare and really good dynamics. I also messed around using my Mjolnir 2 as a pre (I'm a bit of a Schiithead). Compared to the Freya, the Mjolnir 2 (with stock tubes) sounded a bit flat. Freya definitely had better dynamics, especially on the higher end. It's a really beautiful device to behold that will add a heavy touch of class and style to your listening room, very high WAF. I doubt there is a better standalone, analog preamp for $700. Fully balanced, great distortionless volume control, quality inside and out. The only thing I wish it had (but could still do without) is the usual with Schiit (i.e., on/off switch in the front and on the remote). So if you have a pure 2 ch system and no concerns over paws, tiny hands, or HT bypass needs this is a great device. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the impressions! I've never messed around with tube anything and am very curious to see what differences it would make. I've been looking at matched pairs of 6SN7s on eBay and they are reasonably priced as well which should mean tube rolling on the fairly cheap.
I'm also in the market for a DAC and am trying to decide on a Yamaha CD-S2100/3000 which has digital inputs as well as balanced outputs or keep my current player and buy a standalone DAC like the Yiggy. Tough decisions to be made...

Thanks for the impressions! I've never messed around with tube anything and am very curious to see what differences it would make. I've been looking at matched pairs of 6SN7s on eBay and they are reasonably priced as well which should mean tube rolling on the fairly cheap.
I'm also in the market for a DAC and am trying to decide on a Yamaha CD-S2100/3000 which has digital inputs as well as balanced outputs or keep my current player and buy a standalone DAC like the Yiggy. Tough decisions to be made...
I really love my Gungnir multibit. I don't know if the "multibit" thing is real or what, but I I'm very happy with it. I upgraded from a Jotunheim and I find it significantly more enjoyable. Just better presented somehow.

They all do it. It is nothing new and nothing underhanded about it.

It's not anything new, but IMO it is deceitful. They deliberately massage the ratings to appeal to a very specific audience.

Every amp I have "doubles down" if I play with the numbers. LOL.

They all do it? That is simply not true, many amp manufactures don't change the parameters of the 4 ohm wattage specs when compared with the 8 ohm specs. Nad doesn't do it. Parasound doesn't do it. Schiit Audio doesn't do it. Wyred4Sound, Cary Audio, Marantz and I'll stop there. To say "they all do it" is a rationalization to defend Emotiva's silly attempt at stretching the numbers, and it's the worst kind of marketing.

Nope, not all do it. But, if the mfg shows ratings that appear to "double down" odds are the ratings have been massaged.

I was at RMAF this past weekend. And I have been seriously looking at the Philharmonic BMR. So the closest thing to the BMR was the Salk that was being shown at RMAF. Same RAAL tweeter. Low and behold, guess who Salk's partner's were in that room. Schiit Audio! They were running 2 Vidar amps in monoblock mode, with a Freya pre and one of their dac's, forget which one. Well..... I was highly impressed with that room! So I want to build my system around these monoblocks. Where I am having a problem is the wording of how the monoblocks work.

"ask your preamp manufacturer if it has true balanced, differential outputs"

Well I have asked and asked and asked again and can't get a solid answer. I am looking at some home theater pre/pro's to use but obviously I want to make sure they match up with the Vidar's for monoblocks. Both units I am looking at say balanced XLR outputs. But I can't find anything about if it is a true differential balanced output. I am pretty sure the units are what I am needing but can you guys take a look and let me know? One is from Marantz and the other from Integra.

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...1.2-ch-networking-a/v-preamp/processor/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...ch-thx-networking-a/v-preamp/processor/1.html

Frankly, I think Schiit is sorta outwording themselves in this case.

I'm trying real hard to think of a case where a unit with balanced pre outputs wouldn't be supplying the normal (+) and inverted (-) signals Vidar needs to operate in bridged mode.

Back
Top Bottom