Amazing $50 3 Tube Preamp

Well,
if it is only one channel, problem could be in tube or maybe capacitors on that channel.
Try swapping tubes left<>right and see if then you have same problem at the right channel...
Does potentiometer setting make any difference?

I don't use the pot, it's set to max and I use software volume mostly :yikes:.

I will rotate the tubes and see if it switches channels.

Thanks to you guys im listening to my black/blue 3116 and guanzo 2 tube pre amp right now and enjoying it very much:) Would like to try the russian 6n3p-ev tubes. Is there a u.s. seller for these or is it only thru ebay. Would gladly pay a little more and not wait very long. Any links would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to you guys im listening to my black/blue 3116 and guanzo 2 tube pre amp right now and enjoying it very much:) Would like to try the russian 6n3p-ev tubes. Is there a u.s. seller for these or is it only thru ebay. Would gladly pay a little more and not wait very long. Any links would be greatly appreciated!

I found them only on ebay. Took about a month to get here from one of those former block countries.

What kind of modification is needed to make potentiometer on this thing usable, so i can use it throughout at least 70% of it's range (up to 2 o'clock, so to speak)?

What kind of modification is needed to make potentiometer on this thing usable, so i can use it throughout at least 70% of it's range (up to 2 o'clock, so to speak)?

My suggestion is to find a amp that likes a hot signal. This is an outstanding pre-amp which I'm currently using with a Crown XLS 2000. The combination is the best I've ever heard. I've got the amps gain really low and can use the full range on the little bear p3

Has anyone tried upgrading the caps on the board to higher end caps, or maybe done some tweaks with different value caps?
Using better matched tubes, and higher end caps might bump this baby up a few notches? Normally, I'd recommend the TK421 amp mod, which will kick it up a few, uh, quads per channel, but that's technical talk that doesn't concern you... :)

Has anyone tried upgrading the caps on the board to higher end caps, or maybe done some tweaks with different value caps?
Using better matched tubes, and higher end caps might bump this baby up a few notches? Normally, I'd recommend the TK421 amp mod, which will kick it up a few, uh, quads per channel, but that's technical talk that doesn't concern you... :)

Phalanger did it with success, as it is described in this thread, post 309
I plan to do it when I find cheap delivery for four of those to Croatia...
I will also replace carbon 0.5 W resistors with metal film type for even less noise.
I put attenuator between my 2 Vrms DAC and Little Bear P-3 preamp and control is way better with less noise (almost none, whatsoever).
Also I plan to replace linear pot for log type.

I only need to tweak LM1036 tone board; there is something wrong with it, I get variable noise depending on volume pot position on the tone board...

...anyway I tried my old cheap "frankensteiner" model speakers with 6N3 preamp and D-class amp, and there is way more bass due to 3-4 times bigger woofer... I almost don't need tone board in this combo. For small shelf speakers loudness is mandatory, in my opinion though...

Sweet sound as it is now... but we always want more, don't we?;)

Well,
if it is only one channel, problem could be in tube or maybe capacitors on that channel.
Try swapping tubes left<>right and see if then you have same problem at the right channel...
Does potentiometer setting make any difference?

So after some critical tube swapping, I still see that the left channel cuts out and comes back to life with a quick flick of the switch.

How would one test the capacitors?

Comparing 2/3 tube pre's to Dynaco PAS3

Glad you're enjoying the gear sempai.

Would like to know how your Little Bear compares to the 3 Tube 6N3 preamp

Have been reading with enthusiasm about the 2 and 3 tube preamps pairing with the tda3116 amp.
Could anyone help me compare any of them with the PAS3 I have, either with the 3116 or for use with other amps please...?
I have several power amps which need a preamp, and wonder how the 2/3 tube ones would do for other amps?
Use the PAS3 with SS as well as tube amps with nice "results." Bet sound for me has been PAS3 to Baldwin organ amp with 6BQ5'sf to Altec Bolero's. Also PAS3 to Sansui AU717 to speaker selector to CV DX9, CV 380SE, ADS L990, EPI 200b. All good, just different good.
I have really no clue how to compare these new preamps. Only other pre herer is Denon PR1100. It OK, kind of "neutral and smooth to my ears.
Thanks very much for opinions and experiences. Which to get, or if others are much closer to the PAS3 sound I would appreciate those mentions.
Daves

I had a PAS2 for awhile and it may have benefited from some work but I was never that impressed with it. IMO the 6n3 three tube is a better preamp that the PAS I owned.

Help with transformer wiring: 2 tube Guanzo

Hello,

I just got the two tube, YZ "Guanzo" preamp using 6N3 tubes.

My transformer input wires are two reds, and two blacks. Can anyone with experience with this particular transformer tell me what to do with those AC input wires?

Do I twist the 2 blacks together and twist the two whites together and run then to an IEC socket? Or just ignore one black and one white and cap them off?

Or, something else.

I realize the blue wires go to the B+ and the whites to the tube filaments.

Thanks!

OH YEAH, by the way. This one (got it on Amazon) has the same acrid, horrible industrial SMELL that I once experienced with a very nice 813 integrated amp. I don't even know if I will be able to use it. I tried everything to get rid of the smell on the 813 amp, but eventually had to get rid of it.

Any thoughts on that?

Mark

Back
Top Bottom