Amazing $50 3 Tube Preamp

Both blacks together and both reds together. No whites to iec. I dont think you meant to write that:) I wire nutted them to electric cord to test.Both whites to 6.3 volt and blues to 170. Enjoy and get the russian tubes asap:) It really is better. The smell on mine went away quickly.

Doogie!!!!

Thanks, no I did not mean the whites. I wasn't thinking correctly when I wrote that.

OK, I will twist the 2 reds together and then the 2 blacks together and use those for the VAC.

I hope you're right about the smell and it goes away soon. I've had it sitting outside all morning. It never, ever went away on that 813 amp. Too bad because that was a really cool amp. It sounded great and lit up the room like Christmas!

I appreciate the wiring help. I'm interested to try this buffer preamp.

Oh, by the way........are GE 5670 tubes a substitute for these 6N3's? Is that correct? I have some of those.

--Mark

On a lark, I hooked up a two tube p5 in between my iphone and some Bose Companion computer speakers. (I use the Blowse Companions as my AC powered travel speakers.)

There was a noticeable tightening of the bass and general improvement in sound.:yes:

So, do with that what you want.

PAS3vs 2/3 tube pres

I had a PAS2 for awhile and it may have benefited from some work but I was never that impressed with it. IMO the 6n3 three tube is a better preamp that the PAS I owned.

Thank you very much for your comparison on this. I enjoy your posts.

I'm thinking of upgrading the caps on the three tube version to experiment. Anyone have any suggestions on which caps? I'm not seeing much with the same specs. My three tube uses 2 450v 290uf caps. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Anybody know of a seller for the 3 tube pre-amp that has the right 110 transformer for US. It seems rather confusing and have read in this thread where a couple of guys have got the wrong one. Any help or links would be appreciated.

Well, I just replaced the Philips mkt caps on my amp with sonicap Gen 1's (200v 2.2uf). So far it sounds great. I'll give an update once they burn in on my impressions. Sonic Craft is currently having a sale on these but the upgrade costs about half of the cost of the whole preamp. WP_20150705_16_57_12_Pro.jpg

Anybody know of a seller for the 3 tube pre-amp that has the right 110 transformer for US. It seems rather confusing and have read in this thread where a couple of guys have got the wrong one. Any help or links would be appreciated.
I bought my board from Poker Electronics on Ebay. Good seller.

I recently hooked up a relay (directly to the mains) to switch on and off this little amp along with my main amplifier. However, I now notice an audible 'pop' every time the relay switches on/off. Would anyone have some ideas as to what might be causing that?

Loving the two tube Sain Smart preamp. Sounds really nice with the Audiobah clone TPA3116D2 and Foster 4" drivers. Needs a little more bass, but a sub is next on the list, so that will sort itself.

Still need to build my Sain Smart that I bought 2-3 months ago...a lot going on lately! I do have the box stained...need to cut some holes for the power switch and RCA's and get it hooked up! Then when my tube amp shows up, I'll have an "all tube" system to feed my new Quad 57's! Woo-hoo!

Yes this is the same one. The Amazon one comes from the same seller. eBay you pay shipping, Amazon you don't.

Back
Top Bottom