Amazing deal on speaker wire today!!!

Do you guys ever get tired of bashing expensive wires? Dont think they make a difference, dont want to spend the money on them, dont buy them....it's that easy. The amount of time and energy put towards the cable debate on this forum is astonishing. Snake oil, diminishing returns, placebo, psychoacoustics blah blah blah, we get it, you dont think wires make any difference in sound. Do we really need a new thread everyday on the subject?
It's not just expensive wires. Various controversial topics get promoted and bashed in roughly equal proportion, and for every such topic there are proponents, opponents, a majority who ignore it, and few who wish the combatants would shut up and get along. That's what keeps an audio forum lively, vibrant, active and healthy. If we all agreed about everything all the time, this would be a pretty dull place.

Interesting that you should mention that. This thread got me to measuring some wire tonight and in the process I noticed that one of my banana plugs had high resistance, about 0.06 ohms. It should have been 0.002 ohms like the other one. Some polishing and some DeOxit brought it down to where it should have been, but those physical connections will misbehave every time you turn your back.

I'm not surprised.

Part of my job at work is to do verifications for all the Fluke and Keithley meters, we have about thirty meters that I check yearly.

The number one problem I run into is high resistance in the "low ohm" range when compared to a calibrated standard. Usually this can be fixed with a little alcohol and a Q-tip shoved right down into the female banana plug.

It's not just expensive wires. Various controversial topics get promoted and bashed in roughly equal proportion, and for every such topic there are proponents, opponents, a majority who ignore it, and few who wish the combatants would shut up and get along. That's what keeps an audio forum lively, vibrant, active and healthy. If we all agreed about everything all the time, this would be a pretty dull place.

Well I agree that our differences are what makes us interesting and I am in no way suggesting everyone should agree with me but the multiple threads a day on the same tired subject is about as dull as it can get.

The recounting of personal experiences with the details and the specifics is a useful exercise. The more details and the more specific the better.

You are not required to read them.

I completely agree with this statement, only problem is 99% of these threads contain very little personal experience and even fewer details and specifics. If a member says " I tried cable A,B and C and these are my thoughts" I am very interested in reading them, however when a member says " I have been using lamp cord for 40 years and any cable claiming to be better is just snake oil" it is not helpful or informative for anyone.

I have switched to using super-expensive speaker cables for all my lamps. I see colors that I have never seen before and the books I read are much more dynamic, and the writing seems to have better pace and rhythm.
Sorry to hijack the thread, I will post this over at the LampKarma website.

Just joking.

Folks there's one thing that I will add.

The cheap speaker wire looks like crap compared to the Kimbers!

I wouldnt use this stuff with beautiful high end components regardless if it makes a sound difference or not.

Well that's just silly. I use 18 gage lamp cord on lamps and it works just fine.

I have switched to using super-expensive speaker cables for all my lamps. I see colors that I have never seen before and the books I read are much more dynamic, and the writing seems to have better pace and rhythm.
Sorry to hijack the thread, I will post this over at the LampKarma website.

Just joking.

:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

Well I agree that our differences are what makes us interesting and I am in no way suggesting everyone should agree with me but the multiple threads a day on the same tired subject is about as dull as it can get.

I completely agree with this statement, only problem is 99% of these threads contain very little personal experience and even fewer details and specifics. If a member says " I tried cable A,B and C and these are my thoughts" I am very interested in reading them, however when a member says " I have been using lamp cord for 40 years and any cable claiming to be better is just snake oil" it is not helpful or informative for anyone.

If you really want to start a fire go over to Watchuseek.com and ask which is better, quartz or automatic......... you think things get heated here? :yikes:

Last edited:
I've got the exact same speaker wire as the OP connected to a set of NLA Advents and a set of Altec Model 19's. The Altecs sound better to me, so I conclude every speaker probably requires a specific wire to perform their best. I took the wires off the Advents, and put them on What's-Her-Face's iron (General Electric), and it worked the same as the original cord, that is, never.

Part of my job at work is to do verifications for all the Fluke and Keithley meters, we have about thirty meters that I check yearly.

The number one problem I run into is high resistance in the "low ohm" range when compared to a calibrated standard. Usually this can be fixed with a little alcohol and a Q-tip shoved right down into the female banana plug.

hello tony,
thank you for the tip :)
keithley160-2.jpg

greetings
Martin

Back
Top Bottom