Amazing story unfolding in front of me

Yes, I auditioned in the middle room. did you know they are moving across the street to their own building? They will have parking and everything. I guess they move next week. Brian seems like a good guy, and I really like that he seems to speak what is on his mind. He was not afraid to agree with me that the Klipsch KG 5.5 towers sucked. I think he even used those words.

Did not know they are moving, thanks for the info!
That's a good sign, along with 12 weeks for your gear to be serviced.
Both would seem to be signs they are busy and business is good.
I've told Brian before I am glad they are in business, both for repair and sales.
IMO they are a valuable asset to west Michigan audio geeks.

Did not know they are moving, thanks for the info!
That's a good sign, along with 12 weeks for your gear to be serviced.
Both would seem to be signs they are busy and business is good.
I've told Brian before I am glad they are in business, both for repair and sales.
IMO they are a valuable asset to west Michigan audio geeks.
I expected very much less when I pulled up - crappy side of town, and I had never heard of them. While I was there I witnessed 1400 in revenue and three drop-offs happen. I think there are a lot of Hi Fi folks in good ole GR

You are starting with equipment some of us would finish with. Karma is in your favor.
wow...that is definitely not the first time I have heard that. I am humbled and feel like I was at the right place and time. I cannot wait to hear what it sounds like as a system!

You are off to a great start. Take your time and only invest in speakers you will enjoy for a long time.

My system is similar to what you listened to. A pair of McIntosh MC40's, Conrad Johnson Pre and Altec Model 17's 604-8g with Markwardt xovers. I haven't felt a need to upgrade for about 10 years.

So ... who might you be? I was in car audio for 20 years, the last ten with Rockford. I left the industry in 2008, after Rockford closed our woofer mfg facility in GR. I know the time period you speak of well and all the "Vega Dicks." I also remember the CV graffiti van that Cobbs and Schmitt built. 3 Kinds of Bass in that was an experience...

Glad you found your way to AK, McIntosh, and Altec.

I like the way you’re going about this. A few years back I found something of a legend in the solid state world, and found a way to find the money to buy it. One didn’t work, and I’ve had a 4 years long journey fixing them, which is about done. The satisfaction you’ll have when the Mc’s return, their newly found health being thanks to your getting them and deciding to restore them right off will be unparalleled.

My first tube amps were a set of crusty MC40 monoblocks. After a total rebuild by member NJPhoenix I have slid into the rabbit hole myself. Current preamp is a VTA SP-9 and speakers are HeathKit AS101's, basically Altec Valencias that I have heavily modded.
I've tried several SE amps to see what I might be missing but keep coming back to those Mac's. Lot's of power and my Altec's sing beautifully, couldn't be happier. Almost always play CD's so I'm keeping an eye out for a good used DAC. Can't think of anything else to upgrade.
Much like me, you stepped into a high end unit, no need to spend money and chase rabbits, just find the speakers you like. BTW, my modded Altec's are modeled after the Model 19's, you can't go wrong.
Congrats!

BillWojo

Welcome to AK and to owning nice gear. It's good that you've made contact with the Misfitz dudes, I like that place a lot. To deepen your addiction, you might check out Wayback Audio as well. Super cool dudes and awesome gear. Northwoods Audio is a good one, too. Haven't been in there in a while as it's on the exact opposite side of town, but Ron is a really good guy who knows his stuff.

For DIY supplies, I've made several trips to T&W Electronics. Pretty good selection and no waiting/paying for shipping. They have tubes, too. We've got some other pretty good techs in this area, as well. My Marantz is currently in the capable hands of Dan over at DCS Vintage, for example. For speakers, I know Meniscus are fantastic and The Circuit Shop has a good reputation.

There are several AK'ers in the area, but let me be the first to extend an invite. If you want to hear a pair of series 1 Cornwalls, a model that might sound good with your gear, you're in luck. Bell's Best Brown and a couple of Oberons in the fridge, as well as a variety of Kentucky's finest on the shelf. Same goes for anyone else in the area who wants to get together for a listen and a sip.

So ... who might you be? I was in car audio for 20 years, the last ten with Rockford. I left the industry in 2008, after Rockford closed our woofer mfg facility in GR. I know the time period you speak of well and all the "Vega Dicks." I also remember the CV graffiti van that Cobbs and Schmitt built. 3 Kinds of Bass in that was an experience...

Glad you found your way to AK, McIntosh, and Altec.
Curths and Esnaola were the brains of the operation. I was the eager learner, cross-country driver, and resident smart-ass. We hung out a lot at the Electronic Connection, and the car involved was an old Isuzu impulse with 4 Stroker subs, PPI Pro Art 125s all over the place, and cement in the doors - baby poop gold in color. Curths also had his own badass Orion based stereo in his 1993 black F150. I think he had 16 12s in that. They went on to win the IASCA DB drags or something a few years later with the same setup - I was not a part of the team at that time. That was in Texas in 1998, I think. It was a tough time to be a badass in car stereo back then. There was this one girl cutting her teeth in car audio - she had this insane silver Bronco...

Welcome to AK and to owning nice gear. It's good that you've made contact with the Misfitz dudes, I like that place a lot. To deepen your addiction, you might check out Wayback Audio as well. Super cool dudes and awesome gear. Northwoods Audio is a good one, too. Haven't been in there in a while as it's on the exact opposite side of town, but Ron is a really good guy who knows his stuff.

For DIY supplies, I've made several trips to T&W Electronics. Pretty good selection and no waiting/paying for shipping. They have tubes, too. We've got some other pretty good techs in this area, as well. My Marantz is currently in the capable hands of Dan over at DCS Vintage, for example. For speakers, I know Meniscus are fantastic and The Circuit Shop has a good reputation.

There are several AK'ers in the area, but let me be the first to extend an invite. If you want to hear a pair of series 1 Cornwalls, a model that might sound good with your gear, you're in luck. Bell's Best Brown and a couple of Oberons in the fridge, as well as a variety of Kentucky's finest on the shelf. Same goes for anyone else in the area who wants to get together for a listen and a sip.
I will gladly take you up on your offer. Brian had a pair of Cornwalls there, and I asked to audition them, but the woofers were out for work. i will PM you for details.

Back
Top Bottom