Amazon Echo Dot

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Gnesen, Mar 3, 2016.

1. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

Echo Show on sale for $129, lowest price ever. Tempting. A friend has one in her kitchen, uses it constantly. Sounds surprisingly good, as good as a kitchen radio needs to be.

She can video call her parents on it; her dad loves it, her mom tries to avoid the camera, lol. Too bad Google is withholding YouTube access, but plenty of other videos available.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. simplynuts

simplynuts Active Member

I used one of those power banks that you use with a phone to make the echo dot portable and bring it outside with a blu tooth portable speaker.

3. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

With today’s Amazon Music update, you can now use the app to cast music to your Dot (or any other Alexa enabled device, such as Sonos). Very similar to Chromecast, except that it’s being done in the cloud, so, unlike Chromecast, it never gets out of sync. The device running the Amazon Music app doesn’t even need to be connected to your WiFi, works fine on 4G, so you can control from anywhere.

Likely that Amazon will open the API so that other Alexa-supported services, such as Deezer and Spotify, can use it.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/26/17616510/amazon-alexa-cast-announced-music-playback-control

4. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Well-Known Member

I've been waiting to be able to control what music is playing in my kitchen when I'm on the other side of the world...

5. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

Lol. Or just from that remote room corner of the house where the Wi-Fi doesn't quite reach, but 4G does.

6. teashea

teashea Active Member

I have eight Echo's in my home ----- five of them are hooked up to my hi fi systems. The quality is excellent. The voice control of Alexa is very well done. One can set up playlists by voice and can add a song by just saying - Alex add song to my jazz playlist ----. You can ask for a song by title or by title and particular artist or by saying ---- Alexa play song with the lyrics no one told me about her ---- It does seem that the high frequencies top off at about 15 khz - which is not a problem since there is very little musi content above that. Other than that, the quality is indistinguishable from cd's played on quality equipment. There are 10 million songs available with Amazon Music Unlimited.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. teashea

teashea Active Member

BTW, the new generation of Amazon Echo (full size) has better wi fi reception sensitivity than the Echo Dot.