Amazon ECHO now on sale, $99 special intro price for PRIME members

I understand it can be moved. Still I would prefer that it had a battery option. For example, it would be nice to take out on the back patio where our outlet is difficult to access. Same for the front porch. I know mine would get far more use with a battery option. I still believe this is a mistake on Amazon's part. How much more would a battery cost? It certainly would add much to the size.

cubdog

I understand it can be moved. Still I would prefer that it had a battery option. For example, it would be nice to take out on the back patio where our outlet is difficult to access. Same for the front porch. I know mine would get far more use with a battery option. I still believe this is a mistake on Amazon's part. How much more would a battery cost? It certainly would add much to the size.

cubdog

Cub:

I have not looked exactly at the power out from the adapter, but the wall adapter looks the same as for FireTV except with a different connector. I would wager it's USB Standard power out but slightly higher amps (1/2 or 3/4 amp). You could probably use a battery like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2JBTEM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AVWEWK27WU24S

And then use a USB to barrel adapter to power the Echo. Just an idea. I understand you'd just like to move it without having to deal with any power source. Perhaps they will give this consideration. You are probably not alone on this issue.

EDIT:
It seems the output is more than USB Standard. There is a thread and reviews on Amazon regarding SPARE power supplies for Echo. They say they buy them so they can move Echo around the House without having to move the power supply, and that there is no aftermarket in that power range readily available. We may be stuck with an Amazon only adapter. I'm not near my Echo at present so I can't check the power out from the adapter, but it's reported to be over 15 volts 1.4 amps. Way beyond a USB power output unfortunately. Makes sense though. It's probably a power hungry device with good RMS power to the speaker, as well as streaming and microprocessor.

That's the biggest difference on Echo. It has a full Microprocessor on board unlike regular streaming speakers.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to look for options for me Billy. It's much appreciated. :thmbsp:

cubdog

I wonder if the power unit is the same one that is used with Kindle Fire tablets. They look identical. That would be nice as I have two of those now.

cubdog

Aren't the Kindle Fire Micro USB connectors?

Unfortunately, the Echo is a Barrel connector, as you will see on Wednesday.

Aren't the Kindle Fire Micro USB connectors?

Unfortunately, the Echo is a Barrel connector, as you will see on Wednesday.

Your right. I wonder if they could have used the same type of connector or if they did this as a way to get more revenue?

I also wonder if, as the Echo evolves and is improved on in later versions, we guinea pigs will be offered any type of discount to upgrade to a newer unit. Doubtful but that would be very nice.

cubdog

I wonder if this has the same issue they are reporting with Samsung TV's? That anything you say in the room is picked up and sent to a third party.... I can imagine conversations at home I'd not want a third party a part of...

I got my Echo back in mid-December, so I have had quite a bit of time to play with it.

It appears there have been quite a few updates to the system since first receiving it. Had some real annoying issues at first, many of which have been fixed/updated.

At first, it was pretty difficult to find a question Alexa could actually answer. Much better now. The most common feature I use is the timer. Great when you are making dinner. "Alexa, set timer for 40 minutes" is much easier than messing with the oven timer. Also great for playing games that use a timer. Learned that it not only responds to the "off" command, but also "shut the f**k up". (which I thought was pretty cool)

The sound quality is not the best, but for what it is, it is not bad. A little boomy in the mid-bass if you turn it up. Good for background music. Has some trouble understanding the correct station you request when using i-Heart radio. You have to experiment with your phrasing to find the right words that it will understand. (this part is a bit frustrating and applies to most questions and commands)

Something that it does an excellent job on is researching movies. If you have ever seen someone in a movie and couldn't come up with their name, you know how much it drives you nuts until you find the answer. "Alexa, who plays the role of XXX in XXX?" has so far scored 100% accuracy. No more firing up the laptop and going to IMDB.

Weather forecasts for any city is kinda handy if you travel. I check a couple different currencies periodically for my business, which is very handy. "Alexa, how many Yen to the Dollar?"

The news headlines is pretty lame. Also, so far, I have not found the magic words to get it to give me the current Dow, S&P or NASDAQ. Seems like that would be a basic request, but apparently not.

It does not have a sleep timer, which would be very handy for us that go to sleep with music playing. So if you have one, please send in a feature request through the app for a sleep timer.

Supposedly, it is always listening, but only for the "Alexa" (or other) startup command before sending what it hears to the cloud. So they say.

Tried the shopping list function, but the voice recognition is just not good enough to make it functional. The items it adds are usually not what you told it to, but rather something that sounds like or rhymes with most of the time. Gave up on this feature. After you add items, you have to log into the app on your phone or laptop to check to see if it got it right and delete it if it didn't. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Bottom line: If you want a $100 toy to play with and won't miss the money, go for it.

Your right. I wonder if they could have used the same type of connector or if they did this as a way to get more revenue?

I also wonder if, as the Echo evolves and is improved on in later versions, we guinea pigs will be offered any type of discount to upgrade to a newer unit. Doubtful but that would be very nice.

cubdog

Who knows. It could be the manufacturer that Amazon contracted with just used this connector and Charger, or you may be right. It may be a proprietary thing for extra revenue. My suspicion is that Echo uses a bit more power than you may think, and they probably just matched a wall transformer and did not worry about the type of connector.

Also Cub, the Echo receives Updates. I've already had one. Hopefully, UNLESS they Change Hardware, we will be set for a while with updates frequently as they improve Echo.

JSISK:

The Flash News Briefing is one of my favorite parts of Echo. Did you know you can go online and CUSTOM many aspects of YOUR Echo, INCLUDING the Flash News Briefing? I've got mine to where I absolutely love it. It gives me just the news I am looking for.

Also, the smartphone app (I'm using iPhone) is fantastic. Shows you what's playing, and you an use it to fast forward, or call up music or search for music much easier than the included remote as you have a screen showing you what's up.

BTW, speaking of "What's Up", to get my Flash News Briefine, Echo responds to, "Alexa, What's Up?" :D

The link to customize your Echo is: echo.amazon.com You have to have your Echo UP AND RUNNING BEFORE YOU TRY THIS LINK! And there is no www in front of it. I's a direct link to your Echo once it's set up.

Lots you can do there. But again, It's a tie-in DIRECTLY to YOUR ECHO ONCE YOU HAVE IT SET UP. You can see what your Echo is up to, playing, etc. with Album Covers real time as the songs are played. Very nice. You can FF and RW, Pause, Play, etc. You can basically remote your Echo from there. It's a nice feature.

Last edited:
Here is a quick Tutoral on certain aspects that I found in the remote area:

Amazon Echo FAQs

1. How does Amazon Echo work?
Either say the wake word, press the action button on top of Amazon Echo, or press and hold your Amazon Echo remote’s talk button, and then ask Amazon Echo a question, such as "what is the weather today in New York?", or tell Amazon Echo to take an action, like "add milk to my shopping list" or "play Bruno Mars". Your question or request and related information, like your music playlists and to-do and shopping lists, will be processed in the Cloud so your Amazon Echo can answer your question or fulfill your request. Amazon Echo may exchange information such as your music titles, radio stations, and zip code, with third party services to fulfill your requests.
2. Will the voice services improve over time?
Yes, Amazon Echo’s voice services are developed to get better over time. For example, the voice services use your voice recordings to improve the results provided to you and improve our services. In addition, when you activate your Amazon Echo, the voice services begin processing some information, such as your music playlists, to improve response time and accuracy. You can help us improve the voice services by providing feedback within History or by using Voice Training in the Amazon Echo App.
3. How does Amazon Echo recognize the wake word?
Amazon Echo uses on-device keyword spotting to detect the wake word. When Amazon Echo detects the wake word, Amazon Echo streams audio to the Cloud, including a fraction of a second of audio before the wake word.
4. How do I know when Amazon Echo is streaming my voice to the Cloud?
When Amazon Echo detects the wake word, when you press the action button on top of Amazon Echo, or when you press and hold your Amazon Echo remote's talk button, the light ring around the top of your Amazon Echo turns blue, to indicate that Amazon Echo is streaming audio to the Cloud to process your question or request. When you use the wake word to talk to Amazon Echo, the audio stream includes a fraction of a second of audio before the wake word, and closes once Amazon Echo has processed your question or request. Within Sounds settings in the Amazon Echo App (Settings > Your Echo > Sounds), you can enable a 'wake up sound,' a short audible tone that plays after the wake word is recognized to indicate that Amazon Echo is streaming audio. You can also enable an 'end of request sound' that will play a short audible tone at the end of your request, to indicate that the connection has closed and Amazon Echo is no longer streaming audio.
5. Can I turn off the Amazon Echo microphone?
Yes, you can turn Amazon Echo’s microphone off by pushing the microphone on/off button on the top of your Amazon Echo. When the light ring around the top of Amazon Echo turns red, the microphone is off. Amazon Echo will not respond to the wake word, nor will it respond to the action button, until you reactivate the microphone by pushing the microphone on/off button again. Even when the Amazon Echo microphone is off, Amazon Echo will still respond to requests you make through your Amazon Echo remote.
6. Can I review what I have asked my Amazon Echo?
Yes, you can review your voice interactions with Amazon Echo by visiting History in Settings in the Amazon Echo App. Your interactions are grouped by question or request. You can tap an entry to see more detail, provide feedback, or listen to audio sent to the Cloud for that entry by tapping the play icon. Sometimes Amazon Echo does not understand you perfectly, and the translations you see in History may not always reflect exactly what you said (for example, they may be inaccurate or incomplete). You can help us improve your experience by providing feedback on inaccurate translations in History.
7. How do I delete individual voice recordings?
You can delete specific voice interactions with Amazon Echo by going to History in Settings in the Amazon Echo App, drilling down for a specific entry, and then tapping the delete button.
8. Can I delete all my voice recordings?
Yes, you can delete the Amazon Echo voice recordings. Doing so will delete related Home Screen cards, and may degrade your experience using Amazon Echo. To delete the recordings associated with your account, visit Manage Your Content and Devices at www.amazon.com/myx and select Amazon Echo, or contact customer service. While a deletion request is being processed, the Amazon Echo App may still display and allow you to play back the voice recordings that are being deleted. You can delete specific voice interactions with Amazon Echo by going to History in Settings in the Amazon Echo App, drilling down for a specific entry, and then tapping the delete button.
9. What happens when I delete voice recordings?
When you choose to delete voice recordings, we will also remove Home Screen Cards related to those voice recordings. When you remove a Home Screen Card from your Echo App, we will not delete voice recordings related to that card. You can delete individual voice recordings by going to History in Settings in the Amazon Echo App.

I wonder if this has the same issue they are reporting with Samsung TV's? That anything you say in the room is picked up and sent to a third party.... I can imagine conversations at home I'd not want a third party a part of...

They say it only "Listens" when it hears the Wake-Up word, "Alexa"

If someone is concerned about this, there is a Mic OFF Button on top of Echo to turn off the Mic until you are ready to use it. Even with the Mic Button OFF, you can use the Remote, a SmartPhone App or the Webb App.

Alexa is out for delivery. Only one problem, UPS doesn't stop by our house until late in the day between 4 and 5. I'll get her set up tonight and then, hopefully, have some fun tomorrow. :thmbsp:

cubdog

Alexa is out for delivery. Only one problem, UPS doesn't stop by our house until late in the day between 4 and 5. I'll get her set up tonight and then, hopefully, have some fun tomorrow. :thmbsp:

cubdog

I hope you enjoy it Cub. Just have fun with it. Ask it anything. You can do voice training with it via the link I provided above. I don't need it. She recognizes just about everything I say, so no issues on my end.

Take it out of the box, plug it in, connect it to your wireless network via a smartphone app or ONLINE. Have FUN! You can read my experience again out of the box and setting it up that I posted last week in this thread if you want to or have mental questions before it arrives.

For some reason, I love this thing. I'm not exactly sure why. I use it constantly. I like ordering music and weather and news and reminders and timers and alarms via voice as I sit in my easy chair. I have great playlists set up in Prime and I just say, "Alexa, play Classic Standards" and I'm set for an hour of great music. I happen to think the sound quality (for the size) is great. Perhaps you will like ordering music and news and weather and timers and reminders and definitions and spellings and other things via voice command too. Time will tell.

I communicated with Amazon that I would like Bluetooth OUT so that I could port Echo to my Stereo Bluetooth Receiver or another Bluetooth Speaker for true Stereo. They responded that that was a great idea and would be considered. We'll see.

Keep us posted. Enjoy. Have fun.

I'm not paranoid, but is having an internet connected device that listens all the time and has access to your bank account really a good idea? What if you try to disconnect it? What if it has a hidden camera and can read lips? Dr. Frank Poole found out the hard way.

In my bedroom, I use a Kloss Model 88 Table Radio that is basically a Bose Wave Radio...

:) really? But i digress.. Interesting topic for a different thread. In a fight Ill put my money on an 88 though.

The Amazon Echo looks cool, but it definitely errs on the side of spooky. like the always on voice command functionality for the google app. just say "ok google" from any screen on your compatible phone and tell it what you want to search for. no fumbling for buttons. I use it when I need GPS info while I'm driving but it's definitely spooky. I wonder what else they can hear?

Last edited:
:) really? But i digress.. Interesting topic for a different thread. In a fight Ill put my money on an 88 though.

The Amazon Echo looks cool, but it definitely errs on the side of spooky. like the always on voice command functionality for the google app. just say "ok google" from any screen on your compatible phone and tell it what you want to search for. no fumbling for buttons. I use it when I need GPS info while I'm driving but it's definitely spooky. I wonder what else they can hear?

And you'd win. I love the Kloss 88. I have THREE of them. In Hawaii, it's really my daily driver. I only tell people it's "Like" a Wave Radio because some do not know what a Kloss 88 is.

Regarding spooky listening, you can always shut off the Mic and just use it with the remote or a Smartphone or online App.

I should probably post;
My opinions are purely from a user standpoint. I have absolutely no interest in Amazon, I am not a stockholder nor an employee. Although I wish I had bough their stock when it was an IPO. I bet we all do.

First stupid question. How do I remove the back to the remote control. I pull the little clip down toward the bottom of the remote but no matter what I try the back remains in place.

cubdog

It "HINGES" out.

Pull the little tab down with your fingernail, and then HINGE (Swing) the cover out from (with) your fingernail as if a HINGE was in the BOTTOM.

Easy once you see it done or you do it once. It does not SLIDE, it HINGES or SWINGS.

Last edited:
Pre-ordered one a few weeks ago. Mine is due June 1 to July 12 or so. Encouraged by some of the early reviews. Wrote this basically to subscribe to the thread. Privacy concerns me also somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom