Amazon Firestick

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by bluescat, Dec 9, 2017.

1. bluescat

bluescat Well-Known Member

Don't know if this is the appropriate forum, but I figure someone here might be able to answer my question.
    I've been using a fire stick for mostly youtube videos, run thru my tv and stereo system. I am now getting a message when I log onto youtube that it will not be available on the fire stick after the end of the month. What other "CHEAP" devices deliver youtube? The message I receive says log onto a web address, to find out, but I get a Japanese band, when I type in the address. I don't want to by a new (smart)tv, just for that. Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. transmaster

transmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

What is happening is Google, and Amazon have a snit going over YouTube. The thing do is purchase a Google Chromecast dongle, $35 bucks, or even better a Roku Steaming Stick $39 bucks, and you good are to go. You don’t need the “Smart” in your Smart TV with the Apple TV, Fire TV, Chromcast, or a Roku Plugged into an HDMI port on your TV you have everything.

Here is the story:
    http://uproxx.com/technology/google-amazon-feud-fight-youtube-removed-fire-tv-history/

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  3. transmaster

Dup posting

4. bluescat

Thanks for that!! I was afraid that I would buy something else and the same thing would happen.

transmaster likes this.
  5. transmaster

If you are not into the Apple ecosystem as am I would get a Roku. I have everthing except for the Chromecast. My favorite remains the Apple TV. Now that Amazon Prime Video is back on the Apple TV it makes the FireStick irrelevant. I never used the Alex feature. I don't have an Amazon Echo. I am waiting for the Apple HomePod we will see about it is about.

6. bluescat

Yeah, I'm not into the apple thing, I just want something that's (1) CHEAP (2) plug and play (3) gets youtube and (4) won't have to replace again soon, so it looks like the Roku will fill the bill. If I want to watch a movie, which I seldom do, I will still have the firestick (and Prime).

7. mars_volta

mars_volta Super Member

Safe bet for Youtube is the Chrome stick. Youtube has been yanked from Roku multiple times.

The long hard way is a Rpi with Kodi and Youtube with proper keys.

8. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

My Blu Ray player does some of this.
    Sony BDP55500
    $60, shipped when I got it.

9. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

+1 on the Roku, have 2 in the house. Amazon, Netflix, & youtube are all in without conflict.

10. transmaster

The thing about the Roku is they are independent. Chromcast, Apple, and Amazon have other fish to fry.

11. Stefus_Prime

Stefus_Prime Member

Go with Chromecast, Google owns YouTube so no risk there.

12. +48V

+48V hi-fi or die

Roku Express - $30

Pio1980 likes this.
  13. johnebravo

johnebravo I should be practicing

I encountered the same problem. You download the Firefox browser for the Firestick and you're back in business. It was free.