Ambassador Rescued From Impending Doom!

Maybe you can replace the hinge on the right side with one of those spring hinges that gives when bent back. Could save the wood on the door from cracking that one time it's bent back when you bump into it carrying something that blocks your vision.

Alas, Red, my unit seems to be from the silver era. More pics attached. Next step will be to take the back panel off the right speaker bay and take a gander.

The amp looks just like my 690A, which I assume it is based on your model number...I can't get mine to make any sound, so far. But I have only the amp.

The amp looks just like my 690A, which I assume it is based on your model number...I can't get mine to make any sound, so far. But I have only the amp.

The amp I've got is a model 59A (see pic). The labling on the cabinet back, and on the owner's manual, refer to model A-690, which seems to me to be a designation for this Ambassador component configuration--amp 59A, tuner 59T, 4-way speakers with 12-in woofers, and Dual 1009 record changer (plus one of several cabinet styles).

I just make a point of this because it might help you find info on your amp as you troubleshoot.

Attachments

• AMP ID detail.jpg
    AMP ID detail.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 18
The amp I've got is a model 59A (see pic). The labling on the cabinet back, and on the owner's manual, refer to model A-690, which seems to me to be a designation for this Ambassador component configuration--amp 59A, tuner 59T, 4-way speakers with 12-in woofers, and Dual 1009 record changer (plus one of several cabinet styles).

I just make a point of this because it might help you find info on your amp as you troubleshoot.

Hmmm...mine says 690A in the place yours says 59A. They appear cosmetically to be exactly the same. Thanks for the photo!

I've since been reading the beginning of the thread you've got going. It seems Fisher was swapping numbers around in a confusing manner in 64 and 65.

vanmeterannie and donquixote99.

The 690A is the '64 version. FISHER redesignated their model #'s in 1965 for separates for consoles. Hence the 690A for 64' is now the 59A in 65'. Basically they are the same amp.

The 49A in the Custom electra VIII and the Diplomat is a 59A with 4 less transistors and the associated parts. If you compared the parts lists from the 49A and 59A they would be identical up to the transistors (different amounts) and the resistors/caps for the extra transistors. Everything else is identical.

What we should do is compare the parts lists for the 690A and 59A. THEN we'll see what's what.

Back
Top Bottom