Ambient lighting.

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by Rollasaurus, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Rollasaurus

Rollasaurus AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMG_2118.JPG
    New ambient lighting.
    Currently listening to The Yes Album, on vinyl, the way it should be.

Treyfus84 likes this.
  2. Hobie1dog

Hobie1dog Super Member

I value low level ambient lighting instead of overhead single bulbs

3. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

Some historic home I toured had similar lighting, but all the way around the room, and with the actual lights hidden behind a ridgeline, so only the softer reflections could be seen directly. It was a very nice effect.

4. Cylontymany

Cylontymany Well-Known Member

I have been wanting to do this kind of thing too! But I am hoping for more responses and Ideas from others here.

5. Rollasaurus

Rollasaurus AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a friend who put painted guttering around the room, in his basement, and layed the light strips inside the guttering. This had a nice glow around the perimeter .

6. Hyfi

Hyfi Super Member

No, the proper way is Black Lights, Glowing Posters, and a Strobe, along with various Lava Lamps :)

7. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

:rflmao:

8. mikeybc

mikeybc Listener

We have a Philips Hue system, I recently purchased a Hue Go portable wireless light that is quite good even on its own without being connected to a bridge. I haven't taken pics though, here's a pic of the light from he web...it can be quite bright, enough to illuminate an entire room any colour you wish.

IMG_1405.PNG

dave1701 likes this.
  9. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

I have hue lights around the house. In the office, I have a couple of their strips behind the monitors. I have some cheaper LEDs connected to the back of my Expedit bookshelves in the living room, but I much prefer the Hues.

10. Ohighway

Ohighway Wannabe Minimalist Subscriber

I'm with these guys. Lights like you already have, placed inside a channel or gutter along the perimeter of the room would work great.

MY rule of thumb with most lighting in my home is that I do NOT want to see any portion of the actual bulb, only the light reflected off walls and surfaces. There's exceptions of course, but you will find me using a lot of uplights and such in the home. Where I cannot do that I'll use fabric shades or frosted glass shades to shield me from seeing the bulb, and to soften and even out the light.

11. orsen

orsen just another old cheapskate that likes audio Subscriber

3 12" led strips on the back of the tv
    20170428_041334.jpg