AMC CD6 transport..fix it or buy a DAC?

ssdestroyer

Hello all,
I have a AMC cd6 player/transport from probably the mid 90's that has quite a few capacitors in both the main section and the tube output sections that are bulging a bit. I took the cd player in to a shop in order to get the transport mech looked at and he said that was an easy fix (a belt) but the bigger problem was all the caps. So I didnt have it fixed because the dude said it would be cheaper to get a new one. And he told me it might blow the caps and not to play it...So now its sitting in the garage waiting for me to try to fix it.
I would be stoked to get all your opinions if you think I should try to fix myself (never done that myself) or maybe yall know someone in San Diego that could help me out or if yall think its a lost cause.
any input would be appreciated.

Right now I am playing my music from my apple laptop through an AE with the analog out. Been looking at DAC's and using the toslink optical into one. Any recomendations on something around 400 that I can plug the toslink into that I can get. There are so many DACs out there....

thanks so much
-chris

hey man- i had an amc amp and cdp. both were junk. man those things were a pain. took the amp to a guy who does a lot of repair, i ended up throwing it and the cdp away. now i'm in the process of putting all my cd's on a hard drive, using airport with toslink into a benchmark DAC1. the banchmark gets pretty much rave reviews. it's a grand, but apparently worth it.

Back
Top Bottom