American Pickers pick a Dual and a Fisher studio standard... hmm...

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
So I'm watching American Pickers (love that show), Season 12, Episode 11.

Mike buys two dusty old turntables... one looks like a Dual Five-oh something and the other is another Black-Plastic-Crap Fisher studio standard model ... guy throws out a $200 dollar price, and POP! Mike says "what do think Frank?" Frank says "yeah"...

So, what about the carts? That's the only way I would have sprung for that much...

Hmm... maybe Mike and Frank should stick to motorcycles and oil cans...

They really do strike me as crappy businessmen. Some stuff they clearly overpay for - especially items that need work and they think can be fixed up for short money.

Remember, that whole show is staged - just like all the other “reality” shows.

I think the same thing about that show. Storage Wars is another one; not just audio gear but bikes, vacuum cleaners and tools are so arbitrarily and grossly overvalued..

Storage wars is totally scripted and pretends that it isn't. Those storage units are all staged.

Pickers is somewhat genuine, but a lot of it is for production value, and I'd agree. This is what contributes to every idiot with a few Elvis records thinking that they'll pay off their mortgage by selling them.

Maybe American Pickers is staged, and the Pawn Shop as well - I like both of the shows. The only "reality" shows I'm watching regularly. I do not care much about how real they are. American Pickers is special for many reasons. I really love to watch that white van traveling across various American countrysides, for example.

Referring to the original post (and this is what we should actually do) - the five oh something could have been a CS 505, which is a very good one.

I absolutely hate reality shows but I like American Pickers because I would love to go out there and dig around like they do. Of course it's all staged but some of the stuff they come across is pretty cool. The early seasons were a little more genuine because they were really trying to steal some deals from those folks with lowball offers lol.

Didn't see the episode, but even a CS-506-1 looks like plastic junk but sounds surprisingly good. Got one for cheap with a B&O cart and messed up patch cords. Replaced cords with Mogami and threw an Ortofon OM-10 on there (someone in Germany was blowing them out at the time for $40 or so) and it sounded surprisingly... fantastic.

Maybe American Pickers is staged, and the Pawn Shop as well - I like both of the shows. The only "reality" shows I'm watching regularly. I do not care much about how real they are. American Pickers is special for many reasons. I really love to watch that white van traveling across various American countrysides, for example.

Referring to the original post (and this is what we should actually do) - the five oh something could have been a CS 505, which is a very good one.

Thanks HK !
The fact that American Pickers is a show that is looking for viewers, and that it is a pseudo-reality show is so obvious, I didn't know it required mentioning. I love to watch the show, and I don't think they are "putting" one over on me, because I expect reality to be mixed with fiction when I watch tv. Someday, I want to go to one of their shops, and poke around... although I expect the prices to be crazy.
If that Dual was a 505, then they lucked out. It was also quite evident that they don't know much about audio.
Thanks HK !

I hate those kind of shows. They just make the average idiot think their beat up junk is worth a fortune.:rolleyes:

Who cares if the average idiot thinks their crap has more value than it does ? I'll tell you who cares... the guy who is perhaps looking to buy from them. If the owner thinks it is worth a mint, then don't buy it.

They really do strike me as crappy businessmen. Some stuff they clearly overpay for - especially items that need work and they think can be fixed up for short money.

Remember, that whole show is staged - just like all the other “reality” shows.

Hmmm... maybe their "business" is a t.v. show... and the prices are just an anecdotal sidebar from the objective of the show... entertainment. I would love to make the 500k that Mike Wolfe made in 2015, sounds pretty savvy to me.

Didn't see the episode, but even a CS-506-1 looks like plastic junk but sounds surprisingly good. Got one for cheap with a B&O cart and messed up patch cords. Replaced cords with Mogami and threw an Ortofon OM-10 on there (someone in Germany was blowing them out at the time for $40 or so) and it sounded surprisingly... fantastic.

Oh yes... I am a big fan of Duals also. I own many, even the Five-oh models. Love them. Never meant to impugn the Dual.
I just meant that for the 200 bucks represented on the show ( could be fiction, could be non, oooooh) that I wish I knew what carts were on them... and I don't think I would pay as much as the did. You are correct, I should not have lumped the Dual in with BPC.

I absolutely hate reality shows but I like American Pickers because I would love to go out there and dig around like they do. Of course it's all staged but some of the stuff they come across is pretty cool. The early seasons were a little more genuine because they were really trying to steal some deals from those folks with lowball offers lol.

^^^^^^^^^ Yeah, I can't believe that I fell into a defense trap for American Pickers... I would love to be out their digging in them "honey holes" too. Great entertainment!

I watch these type shows when I'm flipping around, but it's purely for the stuff. I don't care at all about the actors or situations and only a little about the value.
I will say that the experts on Pawn Stars are more entertaining than the Pawn Stars.
At the end of the day Antiques Roadshow is still the best style of this show ever.

One American Pickers episode did rub me the wrong way when they decided to get a new van and half the episode was basically a Ford (or Chevy?) commercial. Not even close to subtle product placement...

Oh yes... I am a big fan of Duals also. I own many, even the Five-oh models. Love them. Never meant to impugn the Dual.
I just meant that for the 200 bucks represented on the show ( could be fiction, could be non, oooooh) that I wish I knew what carts were on them... and I don't think I would pay as much as the did. You are correct, I should not have lumped the Dual in with BPC.

I know what you meant, was just clarifying for those who aren't familiar with Duals.

This might sound like heresy, but I think it may have sounded better than the 1218 (I think that's what it was?) that I also had at the time.

I passed it on to what's her face's daughter along with a Marantz 2220B and some small EPI speakers (A50? I think?) apparently she's been happy with that setup.

Well there we do confuse reality with show business.
They do have an actual store though-
http://www.antiquearchaeology.com/locations.php
Here in Amurica... ALL we do is mix reality with fiction. It's a "believe anything" Fantasy Land.

Both of their stores are pretty far from me. It will need to be combined with a family vaca someday.
I watch these type shows when I'm flipping around, but it's purely for the stuff. I don't care at all about the actors or situations and only a little about the value.
I will say that the experts on Pawn Stars are more entertaining than the Pawn Stars.
At the end of the day Antiques Roadshow is still the best style of this show ever.

One American Pickers episode did rub me the wrong way when they decided to get a new van and half the episode was basically a Ford (or Chevy?) commercial. Not even close to subtle product placement...

YES ! AR is fantastic! It is the only time when my wife and I can agree on almost everything... We play a game while watching Antiques Roadshow called " keep or sell " , we look at each other after an appraisal and in tandem holler "Keep!" or Sell.

I saw that Van episode too... but not the whole thing, I shut it off.

Well there we do confuse reality with show business.
They do have an actual store though-
http://www.antiquearchaeology.com/locations.php

I know a few people who have visited their Iowa store and said it's pretty underwhelming with most of the stuff sold being merch from the TV show and high dollar display stuff. LeClaire is a touristy river town and stands on it's own as a cool place to visit I here so a road trip from Chitown will probably happen someday. Of course I'll have to visit the AA store when I go.

Yeah I saw that van episode too. As much as they loved that Sprinter, Ford must have paid them plenty along with that new Transit for all the advertising play they got.

Back
Top Bottom