American Pickers pick a Dual and a Fisher studio standard... hmm...

Who are Frank and Mike?

149_1daniellecolbycushman3.jpg

+1

all bull chit, its all staged
I prefer Deadliest catch, hard to stage fishing in a hurricane!

All the insanity and questionable decisions aside they are likable guys and have a fun positive vibe between them.

Compare this to the other (mostly automotive centered) shows where the cast is often at each other’s throats and acting the fool.

You're right.
I also love it when some guys says " oh... you can have that for 25" and then Mike says something like this " Nah, you're too light on that, I'll get $300 for it in the shop, so I'll give you 150 for it" ...
What other reality show celebrates any kind of integrity?

There was one show where they were in California and the guy showed them a room with thousands of records. They spent a couple of minutes and then asked what was in the next room. I was literally hanging out of my chair yelling at them to give me the guy's address.

I remember that one... If I remember right, there was a lot of 45s in there... I love 45s. If you ever get that address, let me in on it too, I promise if you want anything in my stack, you can have it. :deal:

Past it here... kinda of emotional about it though?

Apologies... here is my metaphor for you:

Original post : Hey did you see the comet in the sky the other night?

Every other response :

I hate the sky, cause did you know it's blue...?
I don't look into the sky, because it is SOOO blue...
The sky sucks, like everything else blue...
Sky is blue, so no.

My favorite staged part of any of the shows is when Rick (?...the bald one) on Pawn Stars tries to sound like he knows what he's talking about on some obscure item. When he starts explaining what the item is, including dates of manufacture etc, he sounds suspiciously like WikiPaedia.

My impression is that Mike and Frank know motorcycles and bicycles, and a lot of the other stuff is ad hoc. And pricing was probably based on an average that someone calculated. I suspect that a producer told Mike that turntables are popular so why don't you pick up a couple of turntables? So they did some surface research but really don't know much about turntables (clearly), so we got that segment.

What I don't like about this show is the background shots of amp's, speakers and old electronics in general. Always wondering about this stuff.

What I don't like about this show is the background shots of amp's, speakers and old electronics in general. Always wondering about this stuff.

How about you and I hit up the AA crew and offer our services to educate them on Vintage electronics and the Huge market they are missing out on?

How about you and I hit up the AA crew and offer our services to educate them on Vintage electronics and the Huge market they are missing out on?

Oh, hell yes, they'll love you for it. Especially when you tell them the part about "...and before you even think about powering it up, you better re-cap it".

Reality programs are so frick'n boring. Rather watch cowboy western reruns. " There he goes.. Falling off that damn horse again."

Oh, hell yes, they'll love you for it. Especially when you tell them the part about "...and before you even think about powering it up, you better re-cap it".

Well, I don't think they do their own wrenching on the cars and motorcycles... so they could buy that old roached out Fisher 500C for $200, pay a tech 600+ for resurrection and then sell it for $2k in their over priced shop.
I think they have left far too many MCM pieces behind too... and with the hipster market increasing demand for the Spindle-leg tables and chairs, they are leaving "money on the table" ...
Ultimately, I think they could increase their viewership by diversifying more.

I am not sure what is now the actual topic of the thread, but it is a nice one as far as it remains friendly and civilized.

I like the sound of Rick's giggling, I like the entire appearence of the Old Man, I always enjoy it when this entertainment show is guest in my living room.

Bingo. I don't believe most of what they show. It's a reality show looking for ratings... doing anything to get em.

Alfred Hitchcock called that the maguffin(sp)... the "stuff" they find is immaterial, the point is to air a commercial show...

Well, I don't think they do their own wrenching on the cars and motorcycles... so they could buy that old roached out Fisher 500C for $200, pay a tech 600+ for resurrection and then sell it for $2k in their over priced shop.
I think they have left far too many MCM pieces behind too... and with the hipster market increasing demand for the Spindle-leg tables and chairs, they are leaving "money on the table" ...
Ultimately, I think they could increase their viewership by diversifying more.

Now that you mention it, the show is pretty male oriented, and hung up on cars, motorcycles and "man cave" items, like pinball machines and mechanical amusements. And Frank's toys...

Back
Top Bottom