Amp for HPM 200

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by OfficeMax, May 4, 2017.

1. OfficeMax

OfficeMax Member

I have been using my SX1050 for the HPM's, but I really don't feel like they are getting enough juice. I dont know if the 1050 is running at full capacity or not. It feels like there should be more. I love the vintage look of the Pioneer receivers, but I am wondering if a separate amp would be more effective.

Curious to your thoughts?

Last edited: May 4, 2017

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jeffpaletz

jeffpaletz AK Subscriber

An SX-1050 has more than enough power to play your speakers very loud and with lots of deep strong bass. If you are not getting that your receiver may need repair. Can you describe the sound and explain why you think there is something wrong?

3. OfficeMax

OfficeMax Member

I can't say that it sounds any different. It just feels that the volume is not where it should be. I can easily play it at halfway. Maybe I will hook up my sx950 and listen for a difference. I also have an old VSX D1S that I may try.

4. rwartner

rwartner Super Member

I have A-88X connected to mine. Similar power. The speakers seem to like the volume up a little to wake up. Don't mean blasting. Just more than low. I agree that you don't need more power . I would definitely try your other amps. VSXD1S is a beast. That is one that I have been curious about. The 950 has plenty of power if that works maybe the 1050 needs work. Maybe some deoxit on the switches.

5. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

Not knowing your room size and what you consider realistic listening levels, only you can judge if the 1050 is lacking.
    The HPM-200 will surprise at the amount of power it can absorb without showing distortion characteristics.
    My 17X20' room gives up before the speakers, luckily, realistic listening levels are attained before that occurs.
    I power them with a Yamaha M85/C-85 combo, more than enough however I wouldn't want to drive them with anything of lesser power.

6. roblectric

roblectric New Member

I hooked an SX 1080 to my 200's and and half volume was as high as I dared go. Might let it play at that level if I wanted some music while mowing my lawn.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. nrenter

nrenter Active Member

What’s the state of your 1050? Restored? I’ve driven my HPM-200s with an HT receiver, but you’ve got me wanting to check them out with my SX-1250.

8. OfficeMax

OfficeMax Member

I just had my SX1050 restored. What a difference. Much more musical.

9. Southern

Southern Active Member

I would like to have a pair of HPM 200's mated to my SX-1980.