Amp for Kappa 9s

Alright guys, Ive been all over the internet, and I know there is another thread that simply asks what people are using to power their infinitys... but the 20 pages of responses arent specifically talking about 9's. I wanted to touch back on the tube amp suggestion. I have an altec lansing 353a I think its 100 watts peak program, 50 watts RMS so 25 per channel RMS. it has 3 heavy as shit peerless transformers. 3 because it can also power a center channel, its a 3 channel amp. which would be sweet to incorporate that matching kappa center channel that got dismissed earlier in this tread.

Im running my kappas on a denon POA 1500 150 WPC @ 8 ohms, 220 @ 4 ohms, 300 @ 2 ohms. I dont turn them up very load because there was a point that i thought i heard distortion. Im running the denon through a pioneer SX727 as the pre amp, which also says its capable of 195 at 4ohms but i dont want to hook it to the kappas still, dont want to melt it.
Can a sansui g901db be incorporated for just the highs and mids, and another amp running the lows? which uses more power? I assume the woofers but i know the emits and such probably eat up some wattage too...

Hello this is a very old thread but not sure if more K9 owners will respond. I have these speakers as well and have heard of smaller tube amps power the 9s. I have heard these speakers sound fantastic with tubes on top and SS on the bottom. I can't really afford the high powered mono blocks to make them sound great but they sound pretty good with 2 little carver Tfm 25s. One being rebuilt. You might be able to cut out some of the distortion if u used a stand alone pre amp. I would say try the tube amp on top and use the denon on the bottom. I am assuming you have the switch in standard mode for the woofers. Here's a pic of mine in action. I wouldn't recommend using the pioneer to run the 9s to avoid any damage. We like pictures also. Post them if you can.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom