Amp ID help: old theater, altec, etc SEP 6L6?

asilker

My turn for one of these threads.

This amp has the biggest PT I've ever seen on something running less than kt120s.

Tube compliment is two 6j5 and one 6L6 coke bottle as well as what i believe is one unidentified rectifier tube per channel.

There is an independent filament PT.

Stereo RCA plug ins

Box and amp chassis appear to have been manufactured together, my guess is it is not a DIY job. Way too precise.

Power cord is cloth covered.

My guess is this is either something really cool or a total pile of trash. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

P_20181105_154406.jpg P_20181105_154415.jpg

Last edited:
My guess is it's a mono amp, with push-pull 6L6. That's probably a filter choke, not a second OPT, Looks 40s. Not sure about application, can you clean it off and take some close up pics outside of that big metal box?

Capehart amp made by brooks on the same chassis as the the one in my avatar.
There we go. Man you guys are fast that rocks. Just did some more googling and it looks like this may be the panamuse model? The can caps were aluminum and not paper, which makes me think there may have been a recap along the way.

Does this amp hold any value when it's in working condition?

The can caps on mine are aluminum and have paper slip on covers. Look on yours and see if the can caps have the listing stamped on the can denoting the capacitance. My can caps are blank and the capacitance is printed on the paper. If yours are blank that means that the paper covers disappeared at some time over the last 65 years.

That might be a "theatre" amp or more likely a PA. Whatever the case those were made with reliability in mind and some were left on and not turned off. Like the audio feed of a radio station, or the PA system in a factory. Hence, they are seriously over built for just the 20 watts or so of PP 6L6. The one thing that might be a bummer is if the output tranny does not have 4,8,and 16 ohm taps.

Back
Top Bottom