Amp layout?

Man!
Layout with artwork.
I just had a series of boxes, circles, and cross marked dots.
Almost a shame it'll all be gone.:thumbsup:
(Art or drafting class?)

Wish I could claim the detail skill.

I did the overall layout and placements for sure, but the OPT and choke are from .dxf files available from Edcor. I imported/copied them into the layout drawing I made using Solid Edge 2D. The choke is actually Hammond, but I stretched the Edcor model a bit to make the mounting pattern match what the Hammond has. Hammond says they do not have dxf (et al) files of their chokes so I had to improvise a bit on that one.

I've noticed the same thing with several Hammond power transformers and chokes. I use plastic or rubber washers and sometimes push small grommets into the mounting feet. I didn't have this problem with the Transendar chokes.

I sent a note to Hammond suggesting they do a quality check and process improvement.

Suggested as long as they might consider a change they should also consider making the end bells so there is a small gap to chassis. That would not only allow the chokes/transformers to sit flat without spacers or hammering on the end bells. Doing so would also facilitate the height of a pass through bushing in the chassis hole.

Got a reply from Hammond that basically says they they won't be changing anything. The guy suggested I drill holes to pass the wires through the chassis. Well, yeah, that's my plan but I wish not to drill two ~1" holes to accommodate the end bell protrusion when a 1/2" hole fitted with a snap bushing would do just fine.

Sent a second email, with pictures, since the reply sounded perhaps like they didn't really get the point of what I was saying. Hammond choke is on the left. That's about 1/8" to either leg.

A raw end bell from Edcor on the right for comparison. Note the snap bushing picture is not to relative scale.

EndBells.png

Rather than getting out the hammer just yet, since this is a common size core (EI-125) I've sent an inquiry to Edcor to see if they'll sell me some end bells painted/coated in their customary Gentian Blue color. That way they'd perfectly match the OPT...and sit flat without needing to bash them with a hammer.

Last edited:
Same problem ive had with their chokes and power transformers. Looking at your picture now I wonder if grinding down that dimple some would work? I seem to remember someone ordering bells only from Edcore in the past. But they wouldn't send decals?

My opinion is trying to hammer it down to position would be better than grinding it. To grind all that away would leave a gaping hole in the end bell.

I have some RAL 5010 paint that is the code for the Gentian Blue. I'll probably try painting one of the raw end bells to see how well it actually matches Edcor's Gentian Blue.

I think I would rather , rubber mount the feet, but that is just me. I know rust will set in one day. Granted a long time away. Good luck.

My opinion is trying to hammer it down to position would be better than grinding it. To grind all that away would leave a gaping hole in the end bell.

I have some RAL 5010 paint that is the code for the Gentian Blue. I'll probably try painting one of the raw end bells to see how well it actually matches Edcor's Gentian Blue.
Ya, your right. Looking at it the bottom is pretty rounded compared to the Edcor bell.

Four brass washers will fix that, and hopefully help reduce transmission of vibrations to the chassis.

Update.

Well, Edcor has, IMO, some odd practices. They'll sell you raw end bells or some black painted ones but apparently not the blue painted ones. Their reply, "We only sell what is listed on the website.". Just seems odd they'd not sell the blue ones despite using them every day. Anyway, I'll make do without their help.

Got most of holes drilled/cut in the chassis' yesterday. Now to mount in the tube sockets and start planning out the component locations/where terminal strips might be necessary.

Edit: Got the Hammond end bells "adjusted" with a 6" C-clamp and a couple small blocks of wood. With that method the raised area pressed down nicely so they sit flat and have room for the flange of the snap bushings.

Got a coat of the RAL 5010 paint on them now. Hopefully it matches decently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom