Amp or Integrated Upgrade?

Hello -

I am currently waiting on an MC152 to be delivered. It has been several weeks and my dealer has offered an upgrade to a MA8900. The cost of this upgrade is reasonable and I would be willing to do it.

My main concerns are:
  1. Analog inputs I may not use
  2. Too much power
On the plus side:
  1. Phono preamps in case I purchase a turntable - may make it more likely
  2. Upgradeable DAC module - currently have a MD150

Would you wait on the MC152 as originally planned or go with the upgrade to theMA8900?

Thanks -

Hello -

I am currently waiting on an MC152 to be delivered. It has been several weeks and my dealer has offered an upgrade to a MA8900. The cost of this upgrade is reasonable and I would be willing to do it.

My main concerns are:
  1. Analog inputs I may not use
  2. Too much power
On the plus side:
  1. Phono preamps in case I purchase a turntable - may make it more likely
  2. Upgradeable DAC module - currently have a MD150

Would you wait on the MC152 as originally planned or go with the upgrade to theMA8900?

Thanks -
Obviously, only you can make the final decision on how to spend your money, but I would go for the upgrade. It seems like the MA8900 would be much more future proof. I just recently bought a used turntable to pair with my Mac1700 and have to say that I LOVED the sound and am now researching much nicer tables. So I think you would love having the ability to try vinyl. I don't think it is necessarily too much power either as it seems you can just not use it all and if at some point in the future you fall in love with some power hungry speakers you will be set.

Either way you are going to be getting a great piece of equipment, so I congratulate you and wish you much enjoyment.

Mike

Do it!! Sounds like a win win to me!!
More power, more inputs, DAC module, compact design........I like it!!

The MC 150 is very underrated , testing has shown the amp to produce over 200 watts, the same rating as the 8900. So the amps are with in a couple db of each other, nothing to be concerned about. What the MA 8900 has the MD150 doesn't have are those fantastic graphic tone controls. I know they aren't as important for digital recordings as they are for analog recordings. But I find a lot of analog reissued digitally need all the help you can get and the graphic controls are a big plus. Some original digital recordings are just to much in my face so having the graphic controls can be a real plus there for me, too. Having the plug in module for future up dates is a great idea. I think all Mcintosh products should be equipped with the digital module.

Does the MD150 and 8900 have the plug in connector input for new Mac disc players designed to directly feed and use the digital circuits of the Pre-amps and integrated input digital modules?

Last edited:
If there is a turntable or other analog source in your future, the MA8900 is the logical choice. It would provide more options to you.

Don't worry about too much power. It's all about self restraint and not taking it all the way up to 11. Just because a car has 500 HP, it doesn't mean you have to use all of them.

I like techguy0192's comments on self restraint. I really do not need all the analog inputs and my D150 will fit the bill nicely. I'll stick with getting the MC152 and be patient till it shows up. Thanks for all the comments and guidance.

Back
Top Bottom