Amp problems not speaker problems?

echron

not really a problem, but am I one of the strange ones? I read about all these speakers in rotation and I own several pairs. I find that the speakers I have don't have much of a limit so to speak. All vintage amps I can get my hands on that operate do not put out enough watts to harm my Norman labs so I find myself rotating out amps searching for the best sound I can make in the room I have.
Kenwood, onkyo, sansui, technics, all sound great and different. My stack of amplifiers is getting larger than my speaker collection. Anywho just curious if I'm the wierd one. Lol

Cheers
Eric

So, you are not satisfied by any amplification you acquire? Seems like you need to find something that cuts the mustard.

My living situation dictates I should probably get by with 20 decent watts per channel but I have 500. Can't use that much power to it's extent but sound quality wise, it bests the pants off of any integrated amp or receiver that's found their way into my hands.

I too am afflicted by stereo accumulation-itis. I get something when the opportunity presents itself and if necessary, spend time and money getting it working. I listen to it for a few days then on the shelf it goes. It serves no purpose really because the main amp will win out every time.

Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results is called in-something or other.

lol I might be "in-something " lol. My sansui 771 tops all others right now and generally stays as main amp but has never been rebuilt let alone cleaned thoroughly. I have the 881 on a shelf too and it will probly stay in main system when it's ready. It needs work and have issues in the middle of nowhere Arkansas finding a tech. So I must practice and learn before I open that one up.

This begs the question. Why are you seeking to harm a fine pair of speakers? :confused:
Lol. Not trying to harm them. But they don't seem to have a limit I can find. I'm running a pair or Norman labs model 10a's and two pairs of Norman labs model 8a's. The bass is outstanding and highs are super crisp. Just looking for the "that's it" sound. May have already found it but won't know till I have tried enough to mayb cover a whole wall in silver faces with pretty lights and meters. Lol

Lol. Not trying to harm them. But they don't seem to have a limit I can find. I'm running a pair or Norman labs model 10a's and two pairs of Norman labs model 8a's. The bass is outstanding and highs are super crisp. Just looking for the "that's it" sound. May have already found it but won't know till I have tried enough to mayb cover a whole wall in silver faces with pretty lights and meters. Lol

Why do you feel it's necessary to find out your speakers limits? I'm presuming you mean how loud they will play. What's the point? If they play loud enough for you with your current gear what's the problem?

Why do you feel it's necessary to find out your speakers limits? I'm presuming you mean how loud they will play. What's the point? If they play loud enough for you with your current gear what's the problem?
I guess mayb I worded it wrong. They will get LOUD with most amps I've tried. Mayb I'm just searching for the best sound. Maybe my problem is me and my wanting to hear a different sound that might be a better quality or tone range. My ears are shot from too many young days building systems in cars for db events (which I hit 169 one time with a Supra I built) and for the last 15 years I've been a diesel technician can't really hear much above 11.5 anymore. I think really it's to justify to the wife my growing stack of amps:dunno: mainly wanted to see if I was alone in the pursuit of the "right" amp and not speakers

Sounds a bit like your spinning your wheels in your search for that sound you're looking for. What are your source components ? I think the source will have a greater overal impact on sound over the amp selection.

Last edited:
Mayb I'm just searching for the best sound. Maybe my problem is me and my wanting to hear a different sound that might be a better quality or tone range.
You might not want to hear this but it sounds like you have an issue with the speakers. I'd be looking there instead of the amps.

Sounds a bit like your spinning your wheels in your search for that sound you're looking for. What are your source components ? I think the source will have a greater overall impact on sound over the amp selection.
I run a pioneer pl514 which I know is not the best. And I run a Sony tc 377 R2R. Most of the time they are run through the sansui 771. And I don't have bad sound at all just wondering if I'm getting all I can out of the speakers. They produce tremendous bass and very detailed upper end imo at least. Especially to be a two way speaker. I realize a lot of you have never heard a Norman lab. Those that have will understand the sound I am speaking of. But in response I know my sources are limited. I run the iPhone a lot and digital definitely is an improvement but really like my records and reels.

You might not want to hear this but it sounds like you have an issue with the speakers. I'd be looking there instead of the amps.
I appreciate your input and you may be correct but as long as I can keep gathering Norman labs and rescuing them I feel it's my duty. Lol. Not many left and the craftsmanship on the cabinets alone is worth the hunt. I've listened to a lot of others that don't come anywhere close to my model 10's that cost way more than I have in my whole set up. Don't want to step on anyone's toes everyone has their favorite for different reasons. Like I mentioned in another reply I might have worded my title wrong. Just was curious if was gaining another addiction. Lol.

Thanks
Eric

And cost on one of those shveeet bad boys is?
I'm cheap too if I didn't mention. lol I have about $700 in all my gear. But I'm also playing with unrestored adopted from unloving homes gear.
And luckily most people I know are like here get this heavy ugly old thing out of here. Lol
They're rare, but not that expensive when found, have two and paid less then $300 for each. Beefy little bastards lol.

20160817_235316.jpg

Hi Eric!

FWIW, here's my two cents. Having heard your system last fall, I'd say your speakers are fine. Refinement comes from myriad directions, but since vinyl is your primary source, I would look to replace your aged cartridge or simply replace the stylus. Old speaker cable tends to oxidize over time and that puts a veil over the sound. Simply cleaning all contacts with a good cleaner like DeOxit can do wonders, too without spending much.

Hi Eric!

FWIW, here's my two cents. Having heard your system last fall, I'd say your speakers are fine. Refinement comes from myriad directions, but since vinyl is your primary source, I would look to replace your aged cartridge or simply replace the stylus. Old speaker cable tends to oxidize over time and that puts a veil over the sound. Simply cleaning all contacts with a good cleaner like DeOxit can do wonders, too without spending much.
Hey Ralph glad to hear from. I know you are correct with the evaluation of my tt far as I can tell it's all original down cartridge. Need to order a new one that's for sure. I pulled the 771 last week to clean and tune (needs it bad) I'm running the onkyo integra right now which is no where near as nice as the sansui. Got a kenwood I'm working on as well. I think I should do some fine tuning and small upgrades and mayb a recap on speakers.
Thanks for the reply
Eric

They say the speakers make the biggest improvement. Maybe yes maybe no. But all my old box speakers do sound very different. And they all have whopping flaws do be heard.
Not so much with the old receivers. But I can clearly hear the difference in them also. So I can only conclude the speaker technology trailed the receiver technology.
The speakers are the big show stopper here. They're good but still clearly the weak link.
So my journey is reverse of yours.

I'm currently listening to a pair of Norman Labs 335s thru a Sansui AU 317; 50 watts/channel. Used to have them hooked up to a Sansui AU 717; 85 watts/channel. Nice acoustic suspension sound. Kind of like an AR with more high end. A fellow AKer had Norman Lab 8's? He powered them with a Sansui 9090 and an Onkyo A 10.

I love the build quality of Norman Labs and their sound. Excellent bass as you said, and nice balance. My favorite media is reel to reel tape. Digital input (lossless flacs) is very good, tape is excellent. Instead of chasing amps, I think you should take a look at your source. I'm not a vinyl guy so I can't help you with cartridges. With tape, tape formulation and deck setup makes a big difference in sound.

The magic is there, you just need to find it.

I'm currently listening to a pair of Norman Labs 335s thru a Sansui AU 317; 50 watts/channel. Used to have them hooked up to a Sansui AU 717; 85 watts/channel. Nice acoustic suspension sound. Kind of like an AR with more high end. A fellow AKer had Norman Lab 8's? He powered them with a Sansui 9090 and an Onkyo A 10.

I love the build quality of Norman Labs and their sound. Excellent bass as you said, and nice balance. My favorite media is reel to reel tape. Digital input (lossless flacs) is very good, tape is excellent. Instead of chasing amps, I think you should take a look at your source. I'm not a vinyl guy so I can't help you with cartridges. With tape, tape formulation and deck setup makes a big difference in sound.

The magic is there, you just need to find it.
I know my old Sony needs help. My father bought it new in early 70's while we were in Germany and I took possession of it in the early nineties and ashamed to admit it know that I'm typing this but not sure I have ever cleaned it. Man I feel bad now. Lol. I also have a set of 335's. Are yours light or dark laminate?

Mine are light colored and wearing wrong woofersnin this pic. They still are technically wrong. They are now wearing a set of rubber surround woofers from a parts model 10a. So more correct but not correct lolIMG_0788.JPG

Back
Top Bottom