Amp upgrade needed? Help please!!!

Hellbent

Hello to All! I am looking for your advice, if you would so kindly take the time. I have a HK730 receiver rated at 40 wpc and a few others in my collection of equal or less power. The 730 is my favorite and everyday player with a few different speakers I interchange( Altec Santana, Large Advents, AR's). Although, I like the 730, I LOVE loud clear classic rock more!!!! I feel the Speakers have more to give than the 730 can dish out, especially at loud levels where I still prefer clear. What would you all recommend as a good upgrade(Integrated or Receiver) within $1000.00 budget? Thank you all in advance for your knowledge in this predicament I am having!

The 730 has preamp outputs. Get a PA amp and go wreck some speakers! :banana:

You can get a pretty nice power amp for $1K.

Here ya' go. 340 WPC into 8 ohms. Made in USA. $400.
https://carvinaudio.com/collections/hdseries/products/hd3000-ultra-light-2850w-power-amp
I appreciate that suggestion, but I dont believe that amp will solve any of my issues. I enjoy the vintage sound and want strong, loud and clear. That will just kill speakers and is not at all what I am aiming too do... Thanks, but I am taking that request as sarcasm...

I appreciate that suggestion, but I dont believe that amp will solve any of my issues. I enjoy the vintage sound and want strong, loud and clear. That will just kill speakers and is not at all what I am aiming too do... Thanks, but I am taking that request as sarcasm...

I don't think it was such a bad suggestion. If you like the sound of the HK then you can just get a separate power amp to hook to the HK like tarior was suggesting. Pro amps are a lower cost way to get lots of power.

The only thing that will kill speakers is if you crank the volume up to high. Also "overpowering" speakers is better then "underpowered" speakers.

Hi and welcome to ak.

Your new here so I wouldn't assume you know all and their style.

But tarior was serious and a bright and helpful person here. I imagine his use of "wreck" may have thrown you off tho.

Also high power amps very rarely kill speakers. 2 big reasons being few listeners of gear like this own an amp powerful enough to blow up their speaker. In the big picture here folks, I know allot here own em lol. But more so a lack of power when driving speakers loudly kills em. Read up on the topic of clipping. It's likely what your hearing which is making you yearn for a bigger amp.

Also you mentioned wanting to keep that vintage sound. His suggestion of using your receiver as the preamp would allow just that. To a point obviously. But the preamp will have a far bigger impact on the sound you hear... in general....

This would also allow you to keep within your budget. Especially if you really want vintage. I'd be looking for a vintage power amp that's been rebuilt. All this stuff needs servicing given its age, in general.

Also I'm a user and lover of vintage pro power amps. I always have to giggle at the notion many turn their nose up to em in the home scene. Funny they were good enough to use in the studios which made the old albums you know and love but not good enough for a listeners living room. You get my notion here.

Also I've used very large 300 wpc power amps on speakers rated for 100-200 watts and played loud enough to make the clip lights flicker. Those speakers were seeing more than their rated handling. Guess what, never blown a driver. Again it's too little power aka clipping that's the problem in general.

I'd personally suggest a power amp pre setup. I simply find having 200 watt amps just brings something to the table in quality no matter the vol or speaker. Again in general. I own and love less powerful amps and don't think less of them.

I don't know your habits or listening levels on the whole so that might not be needed. There's a member here who has an accuphase integrated that was rebuilt as he states in the ad. That might do the trick for you. Who knows...

All the best and good luck on your search.

Last edited:

As my esteemed colleagues noted above, I was being serious, but in a fun way.
I used a H/K receiver like yours (actually a 430 with pre-outs added) as a preamp with a Mackie M1200 power amp as my main system for several years, back when I didn't have the cash for home audio gear with that kind of capability.
It sounded fantastic, with great clarity, lots of headroom, and rock solid bass. I never blew a speaker.
BTW, I still have that Mackie amp that I bought new in the spring of 1997. Great amp.

Also as noted, the main thing that kills speakers, usually tweeters, is overdriving an underpowered amplifier.

As my esteemed colleagues noted above, I was being serious, but in a fun way.
I used a H/K receiver like yours (actually a 430 with pre-outs added) as a preamp with a Mackie M1200 power amp as my main system for several years, back when I didn't have the cash for home audio gear with that kind of capability.
It sounded fantastic, with great clarity, lots of headroom, and rock solid bass. I never blew a speaker.
BTW, I still have that Mackie amp that I bought new in the spring of 1997. Great amp.

Also as noted, the main thing that kills speakers, usually tweeters, is overdriving an underpowered amplifier.

My apologies Tarior, and an added thank you for being the first trying to help my problem! The whole "wreck" remark caught me good! Lol... I am definitely going to look into that, especially since I have the HK730 which I can use as a pre and give it a try! Thank you again!

Actually the HK730 receiver looks to be an outstanding stereo receiver with it's dual-mono power supply, and serous FM tuner.

100_2874.JPG

For most of us 40wpc is enough power for very satisfying SPL's from most speakers. But for those who want more power, But don't want to compromise the SQ of the 730, I would add an external power amp like this Bryston, Which also uses a dual mono design. With 150 wpc @ 8 ohms and an 250 wpc FTC @ 4 ohms, IMO this is a no brainer for me. It's not only a powerful amp with SQ 2'nd to none, but has been refurbished by Bryston.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649411698-bryston-3b-early-90s-version/

If that 730 is up to spec, Which may require some servicing, Which if you can find a good technician will be worth every cent, You will have a killer combo here for any speaker, or pair of 8 ohm speakers you wish to drive.

I have half a mind to take the 3 hr drive myself to pick it up and use it with my Bryston B100 SST Integrated amp.

Last edited:
Actually the HK730 receiver looks to be an outstanding stereo receiver with it's dual-mono power supply, and serous FM tuner.

100_2874.JPG

For most of us 40wpc is enough power for very satisfying SPL's from most speakers. But for those who want more power, But don't want to compromise the SQ of the 730, I would add an external power amp like this Bryston, Which also uses a dual mono design. With 150 wpc @ 8 ohms and an 250 wpc FTC @ 4 ohms, IMO this is a no brainer for me. It's not only a powerful amp with SQ 2'nd to none, but has been refurbished by Bryston.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649411698-bryston-3b-early-90s-version/

If that 730 is up to spec, Which may require some servicing, Which if you can find a good technician will be worth every cent, You will have a killer combo here for any speaker, or pair of 8 ohm speakers you wish to drive.

I have half a mind to take the 3 hr drive myself to pick it up and use it with my Bryston B100 SST Integrated amp.

Couldnt agree more on this idea.

And I once owned a HK 930 which I must say I miss. Built like a tank. Amazing sound quality.

Id snag that Bryston that was recapped by them. Given their same age Im kinda surprised they didnt do that for the other. Maybe they pitched it as an option as it still worked. Who knows...

But yeah, thats a real amp for one that doesnt need 500 watt monsters. Only half the desired budget on top of it. Minus shipping whatever.

Spend part of the other $500 to have that 730 rebuilt. Then snag a preamp some day should you desire so. And have a rebuilt wonderful vintage receiver for another room.

Cool toys all around.

I'm a big fan of the H/K 430/730/930 series.They sound good, are well made, and are virtually bulletproof.

I was 17 when I got the 430 that was my first real receiver. It was a major upgrade from my Ward's Airline all-in-wonder that I had been using since I was 12 or 13.

For my $$, I would buy the Carvin rather than the Bryston. Bryston amps are nice, but they seem kinda speaker-picky as to what they sound good with. Heck, if I had the extra $$ kickin' around, I think I would buy one of those Carvins just for a backup.

Hey Tarior, I think I am going to take your advice on the Carvin( Steve Vai uses them!) and see how that will satisfy my Watt hangry appetite! I was looking them over on the link and was wondering if you could give me some instruction on how to hook that particular Amp up to the HK730? Thanks again Tarior!!!

Back
Top Bottom