Ampex 985A Reel To Reel

krisjay

Picking one of these up Thursday, needs some cleaning and such. Hope to make it a nice little peice. Anyone who has alot of experience with really old reel to reels feel free to message me some advice. I have already got the don't get yourself into it advice, lol.

I'm not certain about the precise configuration of this unit, but I'm assuming that it is probably one of the dual-capstan auto-reverse models.

These have an exceptionally simple transport, and only have one main belt, if memory serves. I can pretty-much guarantee you that this belt will have long since turned-into black goo. But once it is replaced, the odds are that this machine will run again.

With the series you speak of, belt changes are a pain in the rear. And the machine when in good order is a nice performer. Flutter is low even at 3 3/4 IPS.

I've never worked on a reel to reel, if I get into trouble, can anyone walk me through some of the issues?

I've never worked on a reel to reel, if I get into trouble, can anyone walk me through some of the issues?

Depending upon how the unit has been stored - you may get lucky and replace a couple of belts. If it has been in a damp basement or garage, then expect much worse - corroded heads, frozen motors, etc. The "shall I fix it" decision becomes one of passion v. what do I end up with when all is said and done. For me, it is a passion - I love getting obsolete things to gleam again!

Depending upon how the unit has been stored - you may get lucky and replace a couple of belts. If it has been in a damp basement or garage, then expect much worse - corroded heads, frozen motors, etc. The "shall I fix it" decision becomes one of passion v. what do I end up with when all is said and done. For me, it is a passion - I love getting obsolete things to gleam again![/QUOTE
I would fall into that category also, but having zero experience, it is going to be a tuff go. I haven't seen this unit yet, as described, he says it fast forwards, rewinds, but says the buttons don't match what happens when you press them, or switches, whatever they are. I am hoping to get lucky and a good cleaning helping alot of issues. As I am hoping, maybe someone would mentor me in this endeavor. I'll know alot more come tommorow.

If this is the model that I'm thinking of, then the mechanism is as simple as they come, and the belt replacement shouldn't be too difficult. The hardest-part is opening the machine which involves removing a bunch of extremely tiny allen-head screws just to get the front panel off. Once the panel is off, I think that there are only four screws holding the transport in the case. Then you just pull the whole thing out of the wooden case, and everything is exposed. And as I said, there is only 1 long belt, if this is the machine which I think that it is.

As far as one-motor machines go, this has the simplest mechanism of any that I have ever seen. I just hate the transport controls on this unit which are exceedingly clunky IMO.

If worst came to worst, and this is a truly trashed unit, couldn't I build something out of the tube amp in it?

If worst came to worst, and this is a truly trashed unit, couldn't I build something out of the tube amp in it?

Are you sure that it has a tube amp? It looks mid-60s and solid state.

I'm pretty sure it has tubes, I could be wrong. The guy who is selling it said all the tubes light up when he turns it on. So I am not sure, I will see today when I pick it up.

Yes, some of those had tubes. I had one (I thought it was an 1155?) that had tubes. If I recall correctly, it was a mix of transistors and tubes. It had small vertical VU meters. My friend had a similar model that had the cat's eye level indictors.

I'll be interested to hear about it if it does actually contain tubes. There is very little information about this whole series of Ampex machines on the web. My dad had one of the SS units growing-up, and it was made in the early 60s, so I had assumed that this series was all based on germanium transistor tech.

Well I got it, no tubes, solid state. I got it home, sat it on the counter and said to myself, what the hell do I do now. I haven't got the first notion of what to do. Lol, I guess it will make a nice stand to put plants on. The guy I got it from also gave me a Ampex HCR-8 8 Track player/recorder, that seems to work fine, just needs soem cleaning. Also gave me an old Westinghouse AM/FM Tube radio, with phono and aux inputs. It doesn't seem to be working, some tubes light up, some don't. I was curious if I could do soemthing with the tube amp from this radio, but I think I am in the wrong section for that. I'll continue this in the tube threads.

You need a set of allen-wrenches with some super tiny bits to pull the front cover off. Sorry, I don't know the size, I just know that it is slightly larger in diameter than a sewing-needle.

You can test it very easily though. You just have to push-up the tape sensor rod which sits at the left hand side of the head-block assembly (close to the pinch-roller). If the motor works, you should hear it spinning once that sensor-rod is pushed-up.

Whatever you do, the following is a cardinal no-no with this machine: Do not change its speed if the motor is not running! You will dislodge the belt when you do so. Changing speeds on this machine is like changing gears on a bicycle; it needs to be done only when in motion.

The fact is that the belt is almost certainly just black goo inside of the machine right now anyways, so you won't have hurt it as is. But this is a very important point to know when you get it changed (which really isn't that hard).

I actually just saw the belt and it is not goo, it is actually pretty stable. Is that good, well obviously it is good, but does that help my situation alot?

It means that you don't need to pull it apart simply to try running a tape on it.

Back
Top Bottom