Ampex console cull and cabinet-ed component reconstruction complete

Nub-Tex? Is that a kind of crinkle finish paint? I love vintage crinkle finish paint.

I have plans for some wood cases for mine (rescued separates, not gutted by me) but too many hobbies and too little time has delayed that plan.

Anyway, nice work!

Very nice restore project there! Were the speakers in open baffle cabinets in the console? I'm guessing you built the new speaker cabs the same way....

Really sorry to see it end up like that. Too many of the rare consoles to begin with and another one bites the dust. Sad, usually it is someone parting to sell the guts out of. I acquired my Ampex console 1960 model cabinet is pretty nice although I have the lowly 6973 mono blocs and I could never do that. I guess the day will come when a complete console will buy a pretty decent house at the rate they are going off into oblivion . It would be comforting to know that the cabinet was junk. There are a lot better tube components than the Ampex but not a better console stereo. Normally I bite my tongue but YA killed it!

image.jpg
1961 AMPEX Model 5202 Stereo with early JBLs completely refurbished using NOS tubes. Been offered ten grand...

Nice console

Did you ever post a thread about it. I didn't find one in a search

10k would be a great price

I paid $160 for mine but it was in french provincial

I started out with the "save the consoles" wale lovin folks... but 14 consoles later, In my house, and 4 unfinished in the garage... I love them wales, but my ocean is crowded. I will probably end up killing the '58 Motorola, the '59 Maggie , the 63 Futura, and the 61 Nordmende that's in the garage to save space....

Well, unless you can pass them on to someone you KNOW will not gut them. Or maybe one at a time to different preservationists.

I often think I gotta save this stuff myself, and admittedly it IS hard to find the right person, but maybe we don't have to do it ALL ourselves.

Ampex Mono-block amp cases Part Deux

I didn't really like the Tolex to metal technique

DSC05107.JPG
so I made a new wood cases for the amps that allow the amps to slip into the case and leaves the metal alone

I used press board instead of plywood easier to work with
I mitered the wood corners just for practice
The case sides are 1/2", the bottom case plate is 1/4"
The case is fixed to the 1/2" platform and then on plastic legs

Its a good thing that Tolex is very forgiving
DSC05487.JPG

1957 Chevy fins
DSC05488.JPG

DSC05495.JPG DSC05500.JPG

Last edited:
I also love how the amps turned out. While I have conflicting feelings about gutting a Magnavox console just for the amp, but this Ampex project doesn't seem the same. All the components are there and it's in a much easier to deal with form factor. I think it was a great project.

Hey,
WoW, very nice job. Did you disassemble the amps to polish the chassis? Or just work around everything? Mine (el 34)are in need of some spiffing up. With my limited skills elbow grease is what I have in spades.:) Eric

I just worked around without dis-assembling them. I used Simi Chrome polish and Brasso, flush with de-oxit and canned air. polish with micro-fiber cloth

The side with the controls retains the original finish. I don't know why I left it like that but there it is

Last edited:
View attachment 719017
1961 AMPEX Model 5202 Stereo with early JBLs completely refurbished using NOS tubes. Been offered ten grand...

:eek2:

Pretty Sweet considering in 1963 The Ampex Signature V sold for $30,000.00 That's an Amazing Price.
http://www.cedmagic.com/history/ampex-signature-v.html

ampex-signature-v.jpg

The Ampex Signature V was offered in the 1963 Neiman-Marcus catalog at a price of $30,000. This behemoth was nine feet long and weighed 900 pounds. It was affectionately called "Grant's Tomb" after Gus Grant, the marketing manager who came up with the idea. The video portion of the system included the Black & White reel-to-reel video recorder with TV tuner and automatic timer as well as a home television camera.

The cabinet also housed a complete audio system including an AM/FM tuner, stereo amplifier, record player, reel-to-reel audio recorder, and stereo loudspeakers. A color TV was viewable from the front of the console, while all other components were accessed from the top. The $30,000 price tag included a personalized plaque and installation by an Ampex service engineer.

Sorry for the Derail just had to Share this when I saw it........

@Omegamen: Thanks for Sharing Your Rebirth of a Classic ;)

,Mike.

Last edited:
:eek2:

Pretty Sweet considering the 1963 the Ampex Signature V sold for $30,000.00 That's an Amazing Price.

The Ampex Signature V was offered in the 1963 Neiman-Marcus catalog at a price of $30,000. This behemoth was nine feet long and weighed 900 pounds. It was affectionately called "Grant's Tomb" after Gus Grant, the marketing manager who came up with the idea. The video portion of the system included the Black & White reel-to-reel video recorder with TV tuner and automatic timer as well as a home television camera.

The cabinet also housed a complete audio system including an AM/FM tuner, stereo amplifier, record player, reel-to-reel audio recorder, and stereo loudspeakers. A color TV was viewable from the front of the console, while all other components were accessed from the top. The $30,000 price tag included a personalized plaque and installation by an Ampex service engineer.

Sorry for the Derail just had to Share this when I saw it........

@Omegamen: Thanks for Sharing Your Rebirth of a Classic ;)

,Mike.

Yes...

I found that article most interesting myself. The model 5202 and the Signature V share the same AM/FM tuner, preamp, stereo amp and speakers and I only paid $68 for it prior to rebuilding. But, there is nothing that a mono record sounds better on. So spending a little over eight hundred dollars to bring it back to life is well worth it. The range of frequency and detail is unsurpassable.

Back
Top Bottom