Ampex Full Range Speakers

Wigwam Jones

Caesar non supra grammati
I bought these speakers last week at the local thrift store on a lark - they were only $4.99. Nice wood cabinets.

But I really didn't expect them to sound like much. They have ventilation slots in the back; it looks like there is some soft foam in there to absorb resonances. From the shape of the grill, I suspected an oval driver (I was right). These are Ampex Model 516 "Wide Range" Speakers. I am going to guess the driver is maybe 6 x 9 or 7 x 10?

Ampex 516 Wide Range Speakers by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

Well, I hooked them up just to see what they'd sound like. I was expecting something like a big clock radio or a boombox or something.

SURPRISE!

They sound great! Deep bass - where's that coming from? Nice top end too! Good soundstage, nice presence. Very 'open' sounding.

Now I'm going to have to sit down and give these things some serious listening with good source material and my tube amp.

I don't get it - I don't know how it is that these sound good. What the heck are they? What were they designed for?

Google is my friend, but I can't find anything. I did find one fellow who seems to use his for monitors in his studio, but that's all I've found out.

Any help?

They look to be in really nice shape.

Thanks! They seem to be. The walnut veneer is very nice, not dinged up. Some surface scratches, but I'm sure I can rub those out with some steel wool and a nice wax job. I wasn't even planning on doing it, but they sound so nice, now I want to fix up the cabs. Nothing else to do - with one full range driver, there's no crossover, no caps, etc. Fun!

Wow i would have never guessed they would sound good.

Yeah, me too! I pulled the driver out of one of them to see what kind of magic is going on here. It's a no-namer; got a big magnet, but it's unlabeled except for some numbers on it. The stuffing in the cabinet is egg-shell foam rubber; you see the flat back of it through the slots on the back of the cabs. Frankly, I can't imagine how this can sound good. It does. Weird.

Another single driver speaker that sounds good for what it is, is my cousins cerwin vega center speaker. I can't recall the series or model but it has a single 4x10in driver in it and sounds great.

plenty of good sounding extended-range drivers. The problem with many of 'em is that folks used them in cars with awful amps and sources. A great example was the 5-1/4" pincushion twincone Radio Shack 40-1354 driver. Made and sold for car replacement speakers, these unassuming (and inexpensive when new) drivers get the midrange right and are capable of remarkable sound with a good amplifier and in suitable enclosures.

Elliptical speakers have some interesting advantages over round ones, too... for best results, use 'em with the long axes vertical, Mr. Jones...

DSCN5289.jpg

Sorta reminds me of some rear oval speakers from a 1970-75 Buick automobile

DON'T LAUGH

I'm heard some good ones in DIY projects

Wide-range drivers are VERY source dependent. Put on something with high dynamic range, and pick your jaw up off the floor. Put on a "hot" recording, and run for cover. Toe them in about 15*, and listen to them disappear :). From the looks of them, they may be some vintage studio monitors? :scratch2:

Last edited:
Nice find. What are the numbers on the back of the speaker?

I have found some info regarding the speakers, if you are interested. Found it in one of my hi fi magazines.

Last edited:
Nice find. What are the numbers on the back of the speaker?

I have found some info regarding the speakers, if you are interested. Found it in one of my hi fi magazines.

If you have any info, I'd love to see it, yes!

Here's what is on the back:

AMPEX
Model 516
WIDE RANGE SPEAKER SYSTEM
AMPEX CONSUMER AND EDUCATIONAL PRODUCTS DIVISION
ELK GROVE VILLAGE, ILLINOIS MADE IN U.S.A.

Definitly have fun with the "FR-Driver" road :) Another good driver of that genere is the Delco 6x9 which resided in many back decks of GM cars in the 70's thru 80's :)

I had a pair of 517 speakers that were similar to yours, but a bit more utilitarian style. From what I was able to find, they were for institutional applications... schools, offices, hotels, etc... with a/v systems... projectors, tape recorders, etc.

The cabs on mine were all swollen and cracked so I just saved the baffles with the speakers attached. Frankly, I never listened to them except to see that they worked. Guess I'll have to give them a closer listen now. :yes:

Attachments

• Ampex speakers.jpg
    Ampex speakers.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Ampex speakers (1).jpg
    Ampex speakers (1).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 210

Dimensions 9*14-1/2*7-7/4

Wood finish walnut

Grille color Dark

Impedance, ohms 8

Overall freq rep. + 130-15k + 6db
- -

Speaker size 6*7 dist port type speaker

Weight 22lbs

Cost $59.95 in 1970

Smaller brother to the 715.

No wattage specs without knowing the driver specs. I would guess 30 watts?, the 715 can handle 60 watts.

Cool, these look like fun. They might perform even better in a dedicated enclosure, assuming they sound good enough to warrant one.

You should give them a try with the backs removed to see if it sounds better that way. The present tuning must not be ideal (if BR) and I don't know if there's enough resistive material behind the slits to give the driver an aperiodic load.

Have fun!

az

Dimensions 9*14-1/2*7-7/4

Wood finish walnut

Grille color Dark

Impedance, ohms 8

Overall freq rep. + 130-15k + 6db
- -

Speaker size 6*7 dist port type speaker

Weight 22lbs

Cost $59.95 in 1970

Smaller brother to the 715.

No wattage specs without knowing the driver specs. I would guess 30 watts?, the 715 can handle 60 watts.

THANKS! I really appreciate your taking the time to look those specs up and type them in. I'm sure that was time-consuming; thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom