Ampex Reel To Reel

danrclem

I've been wanting a reel to reel and I found this one locally in a console. How good would the sound quality be? Should I wait for something better?

Thanks

I was in a hurry today and forgot to attach a picture. I can't tell what model it is but it's in an Admiral Console. If I find out the model I'll post it.

Attachments

• 00T0T_f8TpKJHZtnX_600x450.jpg
    00T0T_f8TpKJHZtnX_600x450.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 120
Pain in the rear end to change belts on. And there's lots of them off of one common pulley. Solid state. Good when they work well, reliable except for the belts.

And check for hum issues. I had that problem with a couple of 800 series Ampex decks. It was the power supply caps. The ones I had were pretty good sounding. But they did need all new belts, cleaned and lubed.

And I would have to think that after pulling it out, it ain't gonna have any cabinet.

Awkward. Unless you want to build something.

I've been wanting a reel to reel and I found this one locally in a console. How good would the sound quality be? Should I wait for something better?

Thanks
Pass on it. If you really want R2R look for top of the line semi- and full professional decks. At least there you will reach real quality achievable by that technology.

The above reply is, of course, right on.

But the underlying, very important question is: Do you want to spend tens, hundreds or thousands? :yes:

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll pass and try to get something better later on. I know I won't spend anywhere close to $1000 but willing to go a few hundred.

The console looks to be a really nice solid state unit for $50 but I don't need another console.

Old post but I know the specifics so figured worth passing along. That is an Ampex 122 "Admiral" OEM which is same as the 1150, except for trim. The lower front panel and a few other labels are specific to Admiral. Other OEM using same machine are: 120 "Sylvania", 121 "Emerson" and 123 "Fisher". 1150 service manual covers all the details. When properly cleaned, lubricated and serviced, this can be a stellar performer and very reliable. I've restored over two dozen dual-capstan Ampex machines and they are worth the investment for those into reel-to-reel format. BTW: OEM Ampex dual-capstan machines are very rare now, since most of the consoles got scrapped or retired.

The heads on these machines usually don't have wear issues. The mechanism tends to need attention long before the heads ever really do. Ampex deep gap heads here, the best in the entire industry.

It is uncommon to find heads worn to the point where one can snag a fingernail on the surface. Typically the copper-alloy guides will become grooved, but heads remain smooth and intact. What does happen more often on Ampex decks is open head winding. I've had to replace five PB heads over the years, four FWD and one REV. All had Ch. 1 (left track) winding opened. Plenty of good spares exist and Nortronics made good substitutes when necessary. Most difficult spare part to source is plastic control knob, (Function, Volume, Tone, etc.). These D-shaft knobs crack and disintegrate, making repairs difficult.

the heads on a teac 4010GSL for instance have glass/crystal heads that have advanced wear characteristics.

Back
Top Bottom