Ampex Reel To Reel

Also worth noting is the Ampex dual-capstan machines do not use felt pressure pads. This greatly reduces head wear concerns and benefits other aspects as well. The closed loop dual-capstan design provides good tension regulation and tape contact control. I just looked at an AV-770 (1/2-track educational AV recorder-reproducer) and the 1968 R/P head looks as good as the day it was built.
"For a reel good time, play with tape."

I owned F-4460, 300-2, 300-4, AG 350-2, AG-500-2/4, AG 440C-2 and used everything else from 1964 to 2004 including the Tascam versions made for Ampex. I would love to have a MR-70-4, but alas analog tape machines are obsolete. I use to be the substitute home ampex repair man, when we got swamped or when caught in between between techs. 1000 series amd 2000 series in particular. With PRB belts and tires the machines service interval was almost tripled. I only had one machine that never met specs and I had to replace the record and play heads. They showed no sign of excessive wear, which surprised me. F-44 series could be a real pain to keep operating with bushings and felt pressure pad failure. Again PRB belts extended the service interval. Capstan rollers can be a big issue today. I also owned and used many Revox and Studers. Though Revox had superior W&f, and frequency response none of them compared to the over all sound of a Professional Ampex. EVEN a F-4460 in prime could easily put perform a A-77 IV with Dolby. Highs above 17KHZ makes little difference. A F-4460 could easily put as much signal on tape as a professional Ampex and playback the same levels. Something a Revox can only dream about.

Back
Top Bottom