Ampex Signature Timeline + A visit to the Ampex Archives

CoastinHome

1961 Ampex Signature Promo Photo.jpg

Hi All,

I've shared details of my Ampex's on earlier threads -- (finally) a complete (1961) 8202 -- and my knowledge of the original population of the two empty cabinets which I had rescued after having been parted out by others -- a (1959) 8002 and a (1961) 8012.

I'm making a diligent attempt to put the confusing Ampex Signature production history on a timeline / spreadsheet. I'm grateful for whatever knowledge (and pictures!) you can share here.

I plan to dig further into the Ampex archives at Stanford University in September and intend to eventually share something of an informal "recognition guide" which will help us understand how these consoles came and went. (This is a MUCH easier hobby than working on old cars!)

Does anyone know when production began on the Signature? (late 1958?) When did it end? (Late 1961?)

What advertising have you encountered? (Sunset Magazine September-November 1960; HiFi Review June 1959 - components, etc.)

Is your owner's manual representative of the actual components in the unit? (Although my signed original manual shows the earlier 402 preamp, 502 tuner, and 30W (tube rectifier) monoblocks, it actually has the 403 preamp, 503 tuner and 40W (solid state rectifier) monoblocks. (...and a charcoal 960 reel to reel and Garrard Type A w/ M7D).

Is your manual hand-signed? Owner's name on the cover? Warranty cards for the non-Ampex components?

Tape deck option? Turntable option? Speakers option? In the June 1959 issue of HiFi Review it shows the 30W EL-34 amplifiers, raw drivers and crossovers being sold separately as a Model 303 kit for $285.50. Does anyone have any information on this kit?

How many different model designations where there? (In Ampex' 1958 literature, a Signature designated Model 8002 is supposed to have a Garrard changer and a Model 8012 is supposed to have a Garrard 301 -- That's the only two options offered). I have photos of a (1961) 8012 with a changer, though. And mine is a (1961) 8202... so I'm not seeing a consistent pattern to the model numbers.

Has anyone seen one of these with the six-door cabinet? The promotional pictures in the Ampex Archives (taken September 1961 -- see attached) show only this style of cabinet. I always assumed the six-door style was a prototype -- until one showed on Craigslist.

Were any of these delivered with the 520 Multiplex Decoder installed? Do you have the installation guide or service manual for one of these? Is there a such thing as a Model 510 Multiplex decoder? Promotional literature for the 510 is easily found on the web and the appearance and function is identical to the 520.

Were there ever other than the 402 and 403 preamps? The 502 and 503 tuners? My undated 520 Multiplex Decoder reference manual refers to specific connections to the 404 preamp and 504 tuner. I've never seen either of these. Were these to be the 1962 models which never came to fruition?

I'm interested in any information you can share, especially the serial number, configuration and purchase information is known. if there's enough input I will compile all information into a simple and evolving "recognition guide" for all.

Thanks!

Bob in San Diego

1961 Ampex Signature Promo Photo.jpg Sept 29, 1961 Product Shots.jpg Six Door Ampex Signature 2.jpg Six Door Ampex Signature.jpg View attachment 1213744 Tech Shots 1.jpg Tech Shots 2.jpg Tech Shots 3.jpg

Attachments

• HiFi Review June 1959.jpg
    HiFi Review June 1959.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Ampex 6-Door.jpg
    Ampex 6-Door.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi Bob.
Sounds like a great project!

I recently acquired an Ampex Console, locally. I will be opening it up and will start a thread with pics.
Mine is a French Provincial style cabinet with 6793 Tube mono blocks and the separate Tuner and Preamp. Plus looks to have a factory installed MPX. It has only a RTR and no TT. I'll take plenty of pictures.

Welcome to AK

Lee in Tampa Fl.

Back
Top Bottom