Ampha AU-Alpha607-MRX

Gilbert2

www.ls3-5a-forum.com
AU-Alpha607-MRX

Please! Someone have more informations for this model! Musical experience?
df_12_sb.JPG

7c_12_sb.JPG

Apparently one of the latest Sansui production !

Last edited:
AU-a607MRX

I believe it is 90 watts a channel and was made around 1987-1989.

We have tracked two sales of this unit on eBay; one at $613 and one at $779. It had a suggested manufacturers retail price of $1,800 when new.

Paul

What I know is that this amp is for the Japanese market. And the alpha is related with the X-balanced circuit to reduce noise related to ground in the amp. The amp should work also with the feedforward technology to reduce the distortion.
With these technologies you can expect very high quality sound.

Thanks for your answer but, according owner engineering this model is from around 1997 !!!
At sansui.us they talk about AU-Alpha907 even MR and premium edition, but not exacatly this one... :scratch2:

Specs:
90 watts per channel into 8 ohms 20-20,000 hz <0.008% thd total harmonic distortion
Will take 4-16 ohms load
intermodulation distortion less than 0.003%
Inputs MC Moving Coil input 300uv /100 ohms
Inputs MM Moving Magnetic 2.5mv/47kohms
CD , Tuner , Line 150mv/20kohms
Tape/DAT pLAY 1,2 150mv/20kohms
Processor Return 150mv/20kohms
Seperate Power Amp selection CD Direct , Line Direct
230 volts 50/60 hz
430mm wide
162mm high
452mm deep
18kg Weight
20kg packed

Last edited:
Yes, 1987 is a mistake. Being from ten years later, it probably features Sansui's newer "alpha-X" construction. I think the reason this model in particular isn't written about much other then being rare is that it's not the top of the line or the second down top of the line. It's only the "607".

Balanced ? Probably not ! :scratch2:
fe_12_sb.JPG

But wath's MRX designation represent ?

Otherwise, are you see on the specs 452mm deep ! :jawdrop:

I found an AU-alpha-607L-Extra and the "L" and the "extra" represents at first view separated power amplifier stages with separated heatsinks, outside is almost the same thing than the AU-alpha-607. Something like that can happens with your amp, may be with the kind of output transistors used, or the amp may have a very high slew rate etc.

I could hear the L extra amp but not with very good speakers : high quality but to really compare to the Sansui amplifiers I have (AUD11 - AU819) the test must be done with the same speakers and in the same room and with the same source and even then after some days the real differences between them could be noted.

Gilbert2 said:
Thanks for your answer but, according owner engineering this model is from around 1997 !!!
At sansui.us they talk about AU-Alpha907 even MR and premium edition, but not exacatly this one... :scratch2:

This is discussed many times at this forum, but here again:
Sansui AU-alpha 907/707/607 MR are the models introduced in 1995, and produced up to the 1997 whent the last generation od "alpha" series is made, that's last called 907NRA.

AUalpha -07 serie from 1995-1997. carries TWO suffixes:
1). MR , which is for domestic (Japanaise) market and
2). MRX, which stays for international market, mainly for EU, middle east, AND all other areas with 220-240V mains supply.
That's mean, the main difference between 607MR and 607MRX is working voltage, otherwise they are identical.

The power amp circuit of all models begenning around 1984, or so, is balanced, so all the models carries prefix "alpha balanced" or "X-balanced". Again, the "x-balanced" was mainly written for export models, and the most famous generation is AU-X907/X701, which is widely known in USA, alongside with AU-X911DG. The "alpha" stays for domestic market, BUT also for several generation of export models (e.g AU-alpha907DR), which was identical to the domestic amps.
Anyway, the "alpha" or "X" abbreviation refers to technical stuff about internal construction. In later models during 1990's you can find also various stage of "sofistication" of the alpha/X-circuit as "hyper alpha balanced circuit", "advanced alpha balanced circuit" etc., but this is basically the same.

So, the 607MRX, will be the 607MR made for export, and probably you are in Europe or some area with 220-240V mains. The models ABOVE 607MRX (these are 707MRX and 907MRX) both have balanced inputs, but the 607MRX has not; the amp direct/source direct funcion is provided via single-ended inputs.

The amp is othewise very good, it belongs to the serie which is beleaved it is the best sounding machines of all generation of Sansui amps, so go for it if the price is resonable enough.

For all the possible repairment, schematics etc. - if sometimes will be needed -, it is extremly difficult to get the original schematic or service manual, but you may safely refer to AU-X911DG, they are VERY similar in construction, check points, and adjusment.
If it should be checked, readjust or just inspect everything, please try search and refer to my posts here with lorne, about AU-alpha707DR and -707LE.

Last edited:
eradoncic: Thanks for that great description of the AU-alpha-series amps. One question, though, do you know what the watts/channel of these amps are?

In the Sansui database I have watts/channel listed only for the AU-a607MRX as 90 watts/channel.

Thanks,

Paul

Morden2004 said:
eradoncic: Thanks for that great description of the AU-alpha-series amps. One question, though, do you know what the watts/channel of these amps are?

In the Sansui database I have watts/channel listed only for the AU-a607MRX as 90 watts/channel.

Thanks,

Paul

That's correct. AU 607MRX is 2x90/8 ohms, or 2x 140W according to DIN.
There's not much difference to other 607's in terms of power (e.g AU-alpha607DR, -KX, -LE), since the basic construction (transformer, capacitors, number of output transistors) are the same. All these amps are around 2x100W, and are pretty same as in US well known AU-X701, exept the internal construction (dual mono vs common PCB, etc).
AU-alpha707MRX is 2x130W and 907MRX 2x160W, 8 ohms, respectively

eradoncic said:
That's correct. AU 607MRX is 2x90/8 ohms, or 2x 140W according to DIN.
There's not much difference to other 607's in terms of power (e.g AU-alpha607DR, -KX, -LE), since the basic construction (transformer, capacitors, number of output transistors) are the same. All these amps are around 2x100W, and are pretty same as in US well known AU-X701, exept the internal construction (dual mono vs common PCB, etc).
AU-alpha707MRX is 2x130W and 907MRX 2x160W, 8 ohms, respectively

Terrific! I will add the watts/channel to the listings and I'll correct the years of manufacture to 1995-1997 - is that accurate?

Thanks,

Paul

Morden2004 said:
Terrific! I will add the watts/channel to the listings and I'll correct the years of manufacture to 1995-1997 - is that accurate?

Thanks,

Paul

Yes, that' s accurate year of mabufactoring of MR(X) series.
After that year, from 1997-2001 (up to the bancrupcy of the company) the last produced models carries -NRA

Hello Folks ! :D

Well, i received today by UPS from UK and it's so terrific nice ! Very high level of quality for all, including controls on solid metal...

Them i switch on with my little pair of Dynaudio 52 Special Edition with Supra ply cables 3.4 and with my Hybrid CD +Audioquest Diamondback and (after little heat) result is a """fantastic""" sound, very detailed, dynamic and very clear like cristal ! Deep bass and clean !

Power 2 x 90w :lmao: It seems much more ! :yes:

Also have one AU-X901 no bad of course but it's a little different sound...

Gilbert2 said:

Well, i received today by UPS from UK and it's so terrific nice ! Very high level of quality for all, including controls on solid metal...

Them i switch on with my little pair of Dynaudio 52 Special Edition with Supra ply cables 3.4 and with my Hybrid CD +Audioquest Diamondback and (after little heat) result is a """fantastic""" sound, very detailed, dynamic and very clear like cristal ! Deep bass and clean !

Wonderful! I'm happy for you. :thmbsp: Enjoy your new high-end Sansui.

Paul

Very informative, Erden, thanks for posting it. And yes, I do remember a post by yours truly about the 1990's Sansui models.

If you've listened to these series of amplifiers, tdid you notice a liquid 3-dimensional sound? I'm asking this because I'm curious for a similarity with the au-x1111MosV and it's is how I can best describe its strenght. The sound enveloppes you so you can set volume level low and still feel presence and don't need a loudness switch. (although it has a 'presence' switch)

On none other amp have I heard this, be it AU-919, BA-F1, AU-D9, an Onkyo Integra "M" power amp, Arcam alpha 8R, or Yamaha B-1.
Even with the mightiest of models in that list a comparison with the au-x1111 has been a 'no contest case' for musicality. (even it has more powerful lows then the Yamaha monster amp!! But that's another matter, perhaps thanks to the 14kg Tamura transformer. I remember at a time when I still listened to some Pink Floyd, the bass from the string ensemble intro of 'Wish You Were Here' made my room feel like it was going to take off for a flight! I have big windows and its an open construction so it added to the effect)

Last edited:
Gilbert2 said:

Wow!! Well done!!! (for buying it) I had no idea you were going to buy it so quickly. I should have adressed the question from my previous post to you then!

btw, Gilbert I didn't buy the second AU-X1111MosV. I was going to pay that money but I'm in the process of moving to Brussels now and have that in my head; btw will have to use the money as a 'garanty' for renting a flat. Too bad though.

1420-1503 said:
Wow!! Well done!!! (for buying it) I had no idea you were going to buy it so quickly. I should have adressed the question from my previous post to you then!

Bonsoir !

Sorry i forget our last thrad ! :headscrat

This one was a unique occasion to buy, because very "rare model" :naughty:

Gilbert2 said:

You know I can imagine how it should feel to receive such a well constructed (judging from the photos) amp and playing with it for the first time. And yes I remember that you were very happy with your au-x901. The difference in sound should be interesting to note. I think a good trick to clearly find out is to listen to one amp for a time say 2 weeks, and then switch to the other in the same configuration rather then quick A/B.

Back
Top Bottom