1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Amplification for JBL L150

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by TNTim, Sep 21, 2018.

1. TNTim

TNTim AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just finished applying new surround foam to a pair of JBL L150 speakers. I would appreciate everyone's recommendation on proper amplification for these speakers.

My listening room is 20x13. 8' ceilings with carpet flooring. The speakers are on the long wall with listening area around 8-10' away. I typically listen at reasonable levels. Lol I'm downstairs playing them and my wife and daughter don't appreciate me shaking the upstairs all the time!

I constantly hear that these JBL's need lots of power.

Questions:

With a higher wattage SS amp (200WPC), will they sound better at lower volumes (not ear splitting) compared to a lower wattage SS amp (80WPC)?

I really like tube amps and enjoy the warmth from them. What wattage do I need to be at realistically to enjoy these at reasonable sound levels but get the most out of the speakers?

I hope my questions make sense. :)

I am currently using a Sansui AU9900. I also have a Dynaco ST-70 at my disposal(Need a preamp!)

Please register to disable this ad.

2. embrown057

embrown057 Active Member

I'm sure you'll get a number of recommendations. Unless your planning on investing into a new/restored vintage amp just go with what you have. Sure 80 WRMS is not ideal for the 150's and yes they will open up with a amp with 200`250WRMS range. There are a number of very fine amps in this range for affordable prices, being relative to you budget.

3. TNTim

I don't mind investing in another amp. I can always sell the amps that I have. Is there a specific amp SS or Tube $1000 or less you would recommend for these speakers? As I mentioned, I really would like to go the tube route but may not get it for the budget.

4. SaturationPt

SaturationPt Fickle Collector Subscriber

Hook the pre-outs from the Sansui to your ST-70, not going to shake the neighbor's house but I bet it'll sound great!

More power is great for dynamics, if you listen to dynamic material. Most vintage rock / pop is purposely compressed, not dynamic and you won't hear much difference.

5. embrown057

embrown057 Active Member

You'll have a hard time finding a valve amp at that $. A set of McIntosh MC30's would be a nice pairing. Now down to common sense. If you looking for a nice "warm sound" I would recommend a solid state BJT or Mosfet amp paired with a valve line preamp. That would give you the power you'll need for the 150's without the edge of SS.

6. DavidF

DavidF Active Member

The axiom I retained over the years is to give the JBLs such as the L150 all the current you can.

I have not used the L150 with the PR tuning but I did use the components a la L112 in a DIY, large volume, cabinet.

I would expect you to be pleased with as little as 150 watts at most times, at a minimum. An amp that doubles power at half the ohms will work better still. I f you pull out the stops, then you really should be looking at a good 250 watt amp. I agree that tube power is really a tough one to suggest over solid state at these power ranges.

With a spend range of up to $1,000 that puts you looking for an used amp of something around 150-200 watts. A model that comes to mind at $1,000 and readily available is the Parasound A23. A little light on watts (and ultimate low end control) but you can find them less than $1,000 used and invest a bit more down the line to buy another for use in bridged mode.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018

7. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Super Member

I power my set with 700wpc or so using two bridged Yamaha P2201 amps. I've found that where the extra power really helps is controlling the woofer, particularly when operating near the woofer's limits. You can get away with a lot less in most situations. If you're not listening loud, then you're probably almost never using more than 20 watts, but power usage goes up quick as you raise the volume. It's hard to know exactly what your requirements are in that regard as every person's idea of a "reasonable volume" could be different. The amount of bass content in the music, equalizer and tone control settings, etc, also have a significant impact on power requirements.

8. SaturationPt

SaturationPt Fickle Collector Subscriber

There are a few nice sounding 200wpc+ with lots of additional headroom at 4ohms out there for reasonable money. The Carver TFM series is one, voiced like a tube amp and with meters, or maybe an ADCOM GFA-555 or GFA-565, very stout workhorses and have always been reviewed well based on a Hafler design IIRC, commercial amps are also available at little money/watt but with Ti tweeters I don't recommend anything that can have that industrial sound, ... another option is bi-amping to put the woofers on something high-current high-damping and the mid/HF on something more musical like your ST-70 (which I highly recommend trying, you might never go back to a single amp/channel).

Your current 'sui can be used to run your woofers, and the ST-70 to run the mid-high. You'll need to buy a Mini-DSP or equivalent to do it properly (or other crossover) plus modify the L-150 crossovers but I think it's well worth the experiment.

9. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Super Member

L150 speakers use 033 soft dome tweeters.

10. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

JBL perplexes me sometimes and this model is a prime example. When JBL is capable of building speakers with 110 db sensitivity, why do they build a speaker with a 90 db sensitivity and then limit its dynamic range by making it only handle 300 watts. As a point source speaker, another area for discussion at 10 ft listening distance the speaker is only capable of 103 or 4 db peaks. I prefer the Horn loaded models, either two or 3 way without least 6 to 8 db more sensitivity. If it were me I would look for a Mac amp rated at 200 watts to 250 watts that has power guard. The amps normally put out about 33% more RMS power and up to 70 % more peak power. So a MC 7200 would put out about 324 watt peaks. A MC 252 with Autoformers about 375 watt peaks and about 325 watts rms. Crown amps normally only put out about 10 to 15 % more power than rated. I would want the smaller Reference series Crown amp. About 325 watt rating. They were fantastic amps. Bryston makes some great sounding amps, too. If you are looking for tube amps, and have coin, either ARC or Mcintosh. I would rather use SS amps and a tube pre-amp if you must. $$$$$$$$$$$

11. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

I have an Adcom GFA5500 pushing my JBL250's and L112's . It seems to be OK . I would not use anything less . I have another set of JBL L112's paired with a Harman Kardon . receiver . It is rated at 120WPC and seems to be just OK . They like the watts that's for sure .

12. TNTim

Thanks everyone for the recommendations so far!

13. TNTim

A friend of mine suggested Crown 150, old Harmon Kardon, and Marantz 2325.