Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You!

Please start the thread in "Vintage Solid State" or probably better the "Marantz Audio" sub forum for your problem - this thread is not for in-depth fault diagnosis.

Apologies, will do. I was actually trying to be good in posting this here rather than starting a new thread. My mistake!

Measured my one amp, 2.8 mv and 0.3mv... Is this good?

(copied and pasted from the first page)

0 - 15mV: Damn good!! If you read '0V', you may have a capacitor output, or your meter is set wrong

16mV - 50mV: An acceptable value, especially at the lower end of this range. 2nd harmonic distortion is probably twice to four times what manufacturer's spec calls for at higher frequencies. Probably not audible, as the distortion is mostly in the upper octaves. At the upper end of this range I begin to raise an eyebrow.

50 - 85mV: Something is certainly amiss, and while this is not enough to put your speakers or equipment in jeopardy, the amp is running nowhere near where it should. I'd venture to guess that most of the DC-coupled amps that are in use by forum members here fall into this range.

100mV to ?: A high enough voltage will cause the DC protection to kick in. This happens at a level determined by the designer, but is usually equivalent to about a diode drop (600mV)or so. Needless to say, if you are listening to an amp with 100mV or more of DC offset, you have no idea what the amp really is supposed to sound like. Indeed, some amps without a differential input are actually designed to have a bit of DC at the outputs, but this is triple-rare, and I don't think anyone here owns one. (in my book it's piss-poor design, but if you can sell it WTH..)

Nikko TRM-1200 Integrated Amp

Left: .77 V
Right: .29 V

This can't be right.

Technics SA-GX690 Receiver

Left: 10.2 mV
Right: 6.8 mV

Akai AA-1050

Left: 11.0 mV
Right: -35 VOLTS

Last edited:
That channel is dead. It will toast any voice coil. Power transistor (or power module) needs to be replaced. Probably, it died because of another defective component. If you have no clue, have it repaired by an experienced technician.

I thought the 1040 was capacitor coupled. Leading to my question, can I check dc offset on my capacitor coupled s.s. amps by checking voltage upwind of the capacitor?

I thought the 1040 was capacitor coupled. Leading to my question, can I check dc offset on my capacitor coupled s.s. amps by checking voltage upwind of the capacitor?
You thought wrong. The output is not cap coupled. Measure the DC-offset at the speaker terminals as normal.

You thought wrong. The output is not cap coupled. Measure the DC-offset at the speaker terminals as normal.

Thanks. I have some amps that are cap coupled and was wondering if there's value in checking for dc offset on the amp side of the caps?

Thanks. I have some amps that are cap coupled and was wondering if there's value in checking for dc offset on the amp side of the caps?
There's not much point in measuring before the output coupling cap. There IS gonna be DC. What do you think the whole purpose of the coupling cap is? Measure the cap coupled output with a load.

OK was just wondering if ideally there would be a minimal voltage even without the cap. Thanks.

OK was just wondering if ideally there would be a minimal voltage even without the cap. Thanks.

No, the offset before the cap will usually be ca 1/2 total available rail voltage in a complementary totem pole output circuit. It is what it is by design.

Checked my CR-620 today and it was showing values in the 150mv range. Thought this was odd. Gave the unit a smack and the values jumped around like crazy. Poking the board with a chopstick revealed a dirty board to chassis ground. Cleaned and holding steady at 10mv l and 6mv r.

1.5mv and 20 mv on this old Hafler DH220. I think I should be happy with that but there is a thingamagig on each side that says DC OFFSET right above it. Is it really that easy to adjust on an old Hafler?
Rob

Attachments

• DSC09454.jpg
    DSC09454.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 34
In a word, YES.

Thanks. Both sides low in the single digits now. This little beauty is working great. I wanted to say "who would have thought that this little beauty would be running this well so many years after it was made" Thing is though, when this was made they expected things to do just exactly that! Gotta love this stuff.
Rob

What are symptoms of bad output transistors?

I caused a short in 2 amps during dc offset/idle adjusting(don't ask, dumb mistakes) and afterwards I got ultra high dc offset readings(7-10 volts!)

I suspect the transistors overloaded since the problem would transition to the other channel as well(to a lesser degree).

I ordered new output transistors to replace but was wondering what other components can cause skyrocketing DC offset/idle values after a short?

Last edited:
Bose 1801 DC Offset

Just got this and a 4401 preamp. Found 1 bias pot faulty and changed it out.
Tested dc offset. L 80mv R 120mv---no adjustment pots. I added a 10k pot
to each input op amp --mc1556. Adjusted bias to 90ma per spec.Adjusted dc
to around 1 mv each channel.Put on cover and let soak for a while. L 1.4 mv
R 14.2 mv both steady. Sounds much better, tighter bass, more transparent.

Back
Top Bottom