Amplifier has been sounding better than usual

Eastham

More Class-A than ever!
To prefix. I've noticed it with both headphones and my speakers, my amp has been re-capped for a few months now. My hearing still seems to be the same, up to 16.5K in my left ear and 16K in the right.

So I've taken note that my amplifier has steadily sounded better and better as the days have passed, for instance, when I first listened to Animals by Pink Floyd it sounded great but the more I listen the more and more it sounds as if the music is becoming clearer and defined, quiet parts inbetween beats just sound clearer and instruments sound more defined, I'm even noticing background noises sounding clearer and even hearing parts that wern't there before. Not just this album but even with albums I've heard a million times before.

I always though "Burn in" was bull$hit but well... I can't really come up with another answer... Thoughts?

You hear what you hear! I thought tweaks in general were all BS until I took a challenge to use contact enhancing silver grease and heard a very big positive difference in volume. Did the music also sound better? I thought so. Were the highs higher and were the voices more "voicy"? I can't say. I can tell you that since then I don't scoff anymore at people who say this or that change improved the sound.(as much).

There might be electrical changes causing acoustic differences, such as electrolytic caps that have sat unused for a while -- including possibly those that were replaced -- are re-forming, and slightly-tarnished switch and potentiometer contacts are getting cleaned by repeated use.

It might also be the more you listen, the more your brain gets used to the big picture and starts to concentrate on the subtleties. It's like looking at a great painting; after a while you start to notice details you didn't see before.

It might be you're feeling good, and your positive mood is improving your perception of sound.

It might be all of these at once.

There might be electrical changes causing acoustic differences, such as electrolytic caps that have sat unused for a while -- including possibly those that were replaced -- are re-forming, and slightly-tarnished switch and potentiometer contacts are getting cleaned by repeated use.

It might also be the more you listen, the more your brain gets used to the big picture and starts to concentrate on the subtleties. It's like looking at a great painting; after a while you start to notice details you didn't see before.

It might be you're feeling good, and your positive mood is improving your perception of sound.

It might be all of these at once.

Could very well be a control getting cleaner with use, one change I did make recently was to cleaner the jumpers on the pre amp jacks and cleaned all the jacks themselves with metal polish and contact cleaner. And well, I am feeling pretty chipper at the moment.

It might be both at once.
One never really knows in this instance.. Can't travel backward in time to abx.

I believe the OP. If I had such a definitive experience, I'd be certain about burn-in, too. A/B comparisons would not reveal subtleties like that even if it were possible, IMO. Mood should average out over a long time period. If the songs were new, I'd give some credit to a gradual increase in attentiveness, but...

Why are engineers so deaf, dumb, and blind to things they can't measure? Maybe an attitude of superiority? I'm not singling out anyone in particular, and I enjoy alternative theories. Nobody has denied the OP's experience yet - so far, so good. :)

I believe the OP. If I had such a definitive experience, I'd be certain about burn-in, too. A/B comparisons would not reveal subtleties like that even if it were possible, IMO. Mood should average out over a long time period. If the songs were new, I'd give some credit to a gradual increase in attentiveness, but...

Why are engineers so deaf, dumb, and blind to things they can't measure? Maybe an attitude of superiority? I'm not singling out anyone in particular, and I enjoy alternative theories. Nobody has denied the OP's experience yet - so far, so good. :)

Personally, I like to be skeptical but I try to keep an open mind and keep my opinions to myself until I've confirmed it for myself. Everybody has their opinion and their side, and the reason will probably vary from person to person. Superiority complex probably plays a part though I'm sure. Though I'm no psychologist.

Last edited:

I guess my problem is I question myself too much. I once recapped my JBL L200's and noticed a change, but just that, a change. Couldn't discern whether it was an improvement, a lateral, or worse, and having no way to go back and listen to the old crossover I decided it was all good!

my amps are not rebuilt and sound different on different days . current one sounds good all the time but on the odd occasion it sounds exceptional .

Why are engineers so deaf, dumb, and blind to things they can't measure? Maybe an attitude of superiority? .... :)

Firstly, I am one of those 'deaf, dumb and blind engineers'. Also I am trying really hard to be kind to you. Because these accusations have existed for decades now, without anybody heeding our replies. I will not expound on as to who is - er - incapable of comprehending .... ;)

Well, one can but try again ......

Firstly, not sure how to inform you nicely, but there are not matters audiowise that "can't be measured'. Electronic instrumentation has passed that point several decades ago. You can inform yourself by reading up on the capabilities of audio instrumentation, also vis-a-vis the limitations of hearing. The latter has been researched to death, not nearly because of hi-fi, but in aid of acousto-medical research in the service of those with impaired hearing. Such information also abounds on the internet. :)

What strangely appears to consistently 'fall through the gaps', is the equally well researched and documented ability of human hearing to adapt, compensate, introduce misconceptions (the latter the influence of the brain) etc.; plus the very powerful psychological influence of 'expectation bias'; plus the inability of the hearing mechanism to accurately remember even for tens of minutes, the exact nature of a previously experienced sound - yet again thoroughly researched and documented! :) :)

Perhaps it is not too much to ask that you inform yourself of the whole scenario regarding human hearing, before hurling derogatory opinions/accusations?? :D :D

Last edited:
All of you are WRONG! It's astronomical! Depending on the alignment of the planets and if the moon is in the house of...

Not buying that one? Here's another...

Quantum entanglement. Yes, the electrons flowing through our equipment are linked to other electrons in a parallel universe. When you in one of numerous alternate realities listens to music at the same moment...

No, I haven't been drinking. Why do you ask?:blah: Blood alcohol level also changes the sound of any system.

Last edited:
on the rare occasion i rebuild an amp i always think it sounds wrong whilst testing .. then the owner calls round and demands it back so they can go and use it as it sounds good . maybe they dont like it loud ?

One never really knows in this instance.. Can't travel backward in time to abx.

But you can revisit your test results/plots etc. I test amps before restoration, after restoration and sometimes down the track just for fun.

Nothing leads me to believe that amplifiers change in any measurable parameter in the period after a successful restoration. How that translates to how people feel, or what they think they hear, doesn't bother me in the least- as long as they are happy. :)

Back
Top Bottom