Amplifier has been sounding better than usual

And this is a record, amplifiers to cars in just 3 pages! Equivalent to the 9 second quarter..

Well I prefer that to a degeneration into name calling!

And every engineer knows that all amplifiers sound the same ::runs away laughing maniacally::

HOWEVER... I did experience (and I have a witness!!!) a set of speakers that had a preference (as in sounded REALLY GOOD) for a pair of Bottlehead Paramour SET monoblocks. The same speakers hooked up to a Pass Aleph (correct me if I'm wrong...it was a big black cube) sounded like garbage. Went back to the 2A3 Paramours... and it was sweet again. So there really IS something to it. Source was the same, a Music Hall MMF-5 I think I have a picture somewhere of that day... I'll look for it. FOUND IT! From 2002.

You can see the little monoblocks on the floor. In the middle is that "magic box" of the Pass amp and the Charios it was powering are those big beautiful speakers. The dinky little folded horns are Horneshoppe's "The Horn" which are the ones I was taking about in the above paragraph. We did not listen to the big Cary (? I don't remember what that was) tube amp above the Pass amp because it wasn't my friend's and he was giving it back to the owner the next day.

Last edited:
Poor sonic memory? I dunno. I hear a Mopar 383 at WOT from two blocks away and I KNOW it's a 383. Similarly, if I hear a 1980's Mustang GT from two blocks away, I know what I'm hearing.
I sure remember the sound of unlimited hydroplanes on Lake Washington in Seattle, every summer at SeaFair. The older ones, before the well-off teams went to turbines - powered by Allison or Rolls-Royce Merlin V-12 aircraft engines. They didn't scream like high-rpm Formula One V-12s - they growled, gargled, and roared, with each sponson's exhaust pipe alternately muffled by spray, and the other unmuffled by anything. We used to tow foot-long wooden hydroplane models behind our bicycles as kids. It was a Seattle thing, like J.P. Patches... :)

Electrons shouldn't have free will or determination to succeed! They should only move from the point where there are too many to the point where there are too few. Orwellian electronics engineer :no:

People who tell me this also tend to believe that all amplifiers do or should sound the same. Component selection is a big part of what you hear.

People who tell me this also tend to believe that all amplifiers do or should sound the same. Component selection is a big part of what you hear.

All amplifiers do sound the same... when off.

I'm not really an Orwellian electronics engineer. Heck, I'm not even a normal electronics engineer. For that matter, I'm not even normal...:crazy:

Last edited:
What about all those wine tasters who seem to be able to identify wines by year, region grape etc? Could these people be compared to the critically tuned audiophile?

Absolutely! An excellent analogy. They are both as elusive as the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

How do you measure your soundstage dimensions? With a tape measure and a protractor? (No, I mean electrically, of course.)

What are the measurements that could determine, say, whether a component or recording has an unpleasant edge? Or a sweet top end? Or authority in the bass? A cupped-hands coloration? What can be measured can be measured very precisely, but no set of measurements can predict how an amplifier will sound, IME.

An amplifier does not put out an audio signal. It puts out an electrical signal. Everything in an electrical signal is easy to measure and analyze.

A speaker puts out an audio signal. That's an entirely different kettle of fish!

Has anyone studied the effect electromagnetic radiation has on audio equipment regarding the amplifier speaker interface?
There is so much of it out there both from nature and man (woman). :dunno:

Has anyone studied the effect electromagnetic radiation has on audio equipment regarding the amplifier speaker interface? There is so much of it out there both from nature and man (woman). :dunno:

I believe the technical term for 'the amplifier speaker interface' is speaker cable! ;)

Out of ALL the electric devices that find a home here.....televisions, radios, refrigerators, stove, lights, tools, washing machines, dryers, water softeners, dehumidifier, computers and laptops, furnaces, clocks, and microwaves.....none had a "break-in" period. In fact, they probably did their best brand new.

Whereas...the brain and it's electrical impulses are constantly upgrading and breaking in perceptions. You are not imagining things...it was reality for that moment...or moments. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...:)

I believe the technical term for 'the amplifier speaker interface' is speaker cable! ;)

While you are right, the "speaker cable" (how pedestrian) is connected between the amplifier and speaker, you're wrong.
The "electrical amplifier speaker interface" (what you call a "cable") is but a minor part of the interactive dynamics.
Without the necessary P.H.D.s in physics, quantum mechanics, electrical engineering and 19th century poetry (which I possess), how could you and other humans even contemplate such complexity. To even try would result in explosiveness of the mind, similar to scenes from the 1981 film Scanners.

I'll explain it, but if your head explodes, don't say I didn't warn you:
We first have to consider the gravitational effect of electrons moving at high velocity and since relativity equates velocity with mass and energy, space time between the amplifier and speaker is altered. On a quantum level...:bs:

Yes, the stick I have you-know-where does improve the sound of my system.

Last edited:
The "electrical amplifier speaker interface" (what you call a "cable") is but a minor part of the interactive dynamics. Without the necessary P.H.D.s in physics, quantum mechanics, electrical engineering and 19th century poetry (which I possess), how could you and other humans even contemplate such complexity. To even try would result in explosiveness of the mind, similar to scenes from the 1981 film Scanners.
I'll explain it, but if your head explodes, don't say I didn't warn you:
We first have to consider the gravitational effect of electrons moving at high velocity and since relativity equates velocity with mass and energy, space time between the amplifier and speaker is altered. On a quantum level...:bs:

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet! Please accept my sincerest apologies for the crudeness of my expression! :bowdown:

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet! Please accept my sincerest apologies for the crudeness of my expression! :bowdown:

Of course kind sir, I forget none of you have the the vast education I received at an institution know by the name Harvard (Harvard Institution For The Delusional). Where I met many important people including the gentleman who is responsible for the quote to open your most gracious apology.
On an audio note, Napoleon is quite the audiophile and rather driven in his acquisition of new pieces. If you ever meet him yourself, try not to mention the music of Tchaikovsky or Abba. He has a powerful dislike for both.

I must now return to my perfect sounding million dollar audio system where supermodels clean my vinyl.

Back
Top Bottom