AMT (1) 10 inch replacement woofer

zygotemrsmit

I have found that this woofer is a good fit in my original AMT cabinets. (fit my oem cutout without modification) It definitely is more accommodating than the OEM where power handling is concerned. You may need to watch your fuses in the AMTs.

I have only tested it in the pyramid unit. (not the tower) You may want to change port size depending on your ear.

Goldwood GW-10PC-4 10" Heavy Duty Woofer 4 Ohm

I ordered from parts express, however; I am sure there are other outlets.

Last edited:
The correct woofer should still be available from ESS. If you haven't already modeled the woofer in this cabinet, you probably should. You may find that the performance is less than ideal (i.e. you can't just put a woofer in a cabinet and expect it to operate correctly).

It models well into the enclosure as is. The OEM port and volume are very close and it does out perform the ESS replacement.

The correct woofer should still be available from ESS. If you haven't already modeled the woofer in this cabinet, you probably should. You may find that the performance is less than ideal (i.e. you can't just put a woofer in a cabinet and expect it to operate correctly).

No ESS doesn't have the correct woofer. They don't offer anything like what was originally used.

ESS factory does not sell direct original correct replacement woofers for the AMT 1, II, 1 Tower, 3, 4 or any thing that used a stamped basket woofer. There is an active EBAY seller who specializes in used correct OEM parts for these speakers providing he has those parts in stock at any given time. His EBAY seller id is 83fj. I have purchased from him a number of times over the last 5 years. While not cheap, everything he sells is accurately described and correct. I would tag onto one of his auctions and ask your questions about what you need. Good luck with your project. Dave

The correct original woofer is a 6800007 or a 6800007A2, stamped basket with ALNICO magnets
I own 4 AMT 1 Towers, restoration under way. Also, FYI, the Heil AMTs have a lifetime warranty if you are the original owner. Mel Valencia at ESS is sending me 2 new diaphragms under warranty
for a pair of towers I purchased in 1975. How's that for customer service!!!!

Last edited:
kodokanron: I think that is a good story that you are getting warranty replacement for your diaphragms. I probably don't have my original purchase paperwork for my AMT 3's purchased new in the 70's although I do have the manual and warranty card. Would be interesting to see any picture documentation of your restoration project. I was always impressed with the bass performance of the 1 Tower cabinet. Will you run all 4 together in the same system?

The correct original woofer is a 6800007 or a 6800007A2, stamped basket with ALNICO magnets
I own 4 AMT 1 Towers, restoration under way. Also, FYI, the Heil AMTs have a lifetime warranty if you are the original owner. Mel Valencia at ESS is sending me 2 new diaphragms under warranty
for a pair of towers I purchased in 1975. How's that for customer service!!!!
How do you prove you're the original owner? Do you still have your receipts from 43 years ago?

That woofer doesn't need much in the way of cabinet volume. At the price, you could put TWO in each cabinet.

A little mental time waste I had envisioned before the Rock Monitors saved me from myself. Two staggered woofers in a "W" frame, dipole open baffle arrangement.

AMT_Nuevo.gif

Plagarizing the work of Ralph Helmer

FifthRowSpeakers.jpeg

jcidave, I would contact esslabs. If you filled out the warranty cards that be all they need as you have the stubs. They did ask me to email photos of the AMT Heil serial number plaque on the back of the speakers.
I will post more photos when I have more time, I am also doing a complete restoration of my Marantz 4400. You can check it out in the Marantz audio forum. I will run all 4 towers on the Marantz 4400 as I did in the past
Just a few more boards to recap on the 4400, it has been a journey. I have the tower cabinets ready to seal and repaint, waiting for the the refoam kits, new diaphragms, and then crossover issues and new film caps.20190319_163645.jpg 20190320_205158.jpg

Attachments

• img20190319_17022144.pdf
    270.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
swechsler, Yes I have all the original documentation, warranty card stubs, owners manuals, etc. When the sales receipt is stamped in red ink (This is your warranty) I keep it.

That's awesome on the warranty service!! Very cool.
That Goldwood has more or less been floating around for years as a viable replacement-also the 8 ohm version in the AMT3.
Of course much of it is personal taste-but the poly cone has a different sound then paper.
"Cleaner" one could say-but by it's very nature of self damping, it doesn't have the fast acceleration like a paper cone.
Most new speakers these days tend towards the cleaner bass response, at the expense of ultimate detail and texture.
This is one I would certainly recommend..very close to OEM..with overall better performance...and keeps the paper cone sound

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom