Amy Winehouse

Divotdog

"I can fix it Grampa"
Artist: Amy Winehouse
Title: Back To Black
Label: Universal Republic
Genre: R&B
Released: 2007

Just received this disc today, after one listen I am very impressed, raw gritty vocals very reminiscent of Shirley Bassey, sounds like it could have been released 30 years ago on a Jazz label.

Attachments

• Back to Black.jpg
    Back to Black.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 46
I heard her sing "Rehab" on tv and thought it was a cool song in the old R&B style. The rest of the album seems to sound like the same song over and over, but I too thought of Shirley Bassey when I heard her sing.

I just listened to this a few days ago. I'm trying to expand beyond my more rock/pop leanings and I am looking into female vocalists with a jazz, R&B, whatever type of sound.

I like this one for sure. Lot's of attitude and I keep wondering how she sounds like a black woman from the 60's! She' Jewish right?! :D

Good stuff! :thmbsp:

Out of curiosity, divotdog, what did you think of the sound quality of that album? I borrowed a friend's copy a while back and found it unlistenable for the compression that was sufficiently bad to cause constant crackling and distortion during playback. This was unfortunate as the music past the noise sounded like it could be pretty good. I fear the CD I heard may have been one of those mysterious "Chinese Pirated" copies and so am curious if the original is as bad.

- JP

JP, The recording quality on my copy is great, it however is vinyl, I have not heard the CD copy yet, I was considering picking it up for listening in the car, I will do so in the next few days and let you know. :yes:

Fairly compressed production. If you like Amy Winehouse's album, try the new Sharon Jones, "100 Days, 100 Nights." They're mining similar territory, musically and frequently share the same backing band (The Dap Kings). Ms. Jones is a middle-aged black lady, so she doesn't have the "novelty act" and "young starlet trainwreck" thing to flaunt in the media, but listening to her album points up nicely what's missing in Amy Winehouse's. Soul, baby.

JP, The recording quality on my copy is great, it however is vinyl, I have not heard the CD copy yet, I was considering picking it up for listening in the car, I will do so in the next few days and let you know. :yes:
Thanks, but the inherent limitations of the vinyl media have the beneficial side effect of preventing compression of the music to the degree that can be had with CD. So, the LP cannot have the same kind of crackling and clipped peak distortion and thus have sound quality to a degree better than a maxed out CD and this CD definitely was masted with the compression controls to their stops far as I can tell. That is provided it's legitimate, which is part of what I'm attempting to determine.

- JP

I need to listen to this record. Chick looks like a crackhead that was rode hard and put away wet. She should sing the blues well....

Mike, I still have not picked up the CD so I cannot recommend it, the LP however is fantastic! deep coarse voice (read sexy), great album. :thmbsp:

I don't have the album but have listened to a few cuts and may get it. Trainwreck does seem to describe her personal life....but maybe that's why she sings the blues...

I suppose this argument could be made for any kind of music, but there's something about the derivative nature of it that bothers me. I listen to her and rather than enjoying the homage I feel like an aesthetic is being appropriated just to sell some records. Her voice does have a pleasant timbre but if I want to listen to a woman with soul I'd reach for Aretha, Ella, Nina and Billie before listening to this headline-grabbing adolescent.

I like her. Back to Black is a very strong album.

My girlfriend is a big fan, and has a live DVD of her... she's actually quite attractive when she has a few pounds on her as she does in this DVD.

And that voice... WOW!

Decided to give it a try. The CD just got here today from YourMusic.com. I'll let you know...

Ok, I love it!!

In addition to the rolling, bluesy feel, it's really got a '60's, Phil Spector "wall of sound" thing going. On a few cuts I keep waiting for the Ronettes to come in!

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
I love her too, but even the vinyl is a bit too compressed. If you like her you need to check out Duffy. She's another Brit "soul" singer. Very young... reminds me a bit of Dusty.

Fairly compressed production. If you like Amy Winehouse's album, try the new Sharon Jones, "100 Days, 100 Nights." They're mining similar territory, musically and frequently share the same backing band (The Dap Kings). Ms. Jones is a middle-aged black lady, so she doesn't have the "novelty act" and "young starlet trainwreck" thing to flaunt in the media, but listening to her album points up nicely what's missing in Amy Winehouse's. Soul, baby.

Great stuff! Wish I would have been able to see them live. Someday.

Back
Top Bottom