An AK member has passed, and I've lost a friend.

sealy

Addicted Member
Sheldon Keating was a close friend of mine and a member of AK. He posted under the nickname, Shel-e-bean. Shel was frequently on AK, but posted infrequently, preferring instead to read the posts of others.

We met years ago at(where else?) a thrift store, both of us looking at the same component and debating whether or not to buy it. Turns out neither of us got the item, but a friendship was born, a friendship that has endured 'till now.

I couldn't begin count the number of times the phone would ring and Sheldon would be on the other end of the line, telling me about some piece of vintage equipment he had found at a flea market or garage sale that I might be interested in. I would go over to his house and listen to his new "crap" and he would come to my place and listen to my latest "junk". Neither of our wives really understood the obsession, but to our great relief, both tolerated it with good humour.

I had a knack for re-foaming, so I helped Sheldon in that regard. In return, since Sheldon was an electrician by trade, he helped me with any electrical work.

Sheldon was a rare individual. A man with few character flaws. He was even-tempered and generous to a fault. He would just as soon give things away as sell them. One day I saw him come up my driveway in his truck. In the back was a beautiful stereo cabinet. "It's yours," he exclaimed, refusing to take a penny for it. "I'm not letting you get off that easy," I said. " Wait here." Knowing Sheldon was a musician, I returned with a Fender guitar amp and despite his protestations, plunked it in the passenger seat of his truck. Sheldon was the type of guy who could bring the best out in others.

Just over a year ago, Sheldon mentioned, in a manner almost matter-of-fact, that he had just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. My heart sank. "What is the prognosis", I asked, though I already knew. "About 13 months," he said.

As time progressed and his condition worsened, Sheldon asked me to help him get his affairs in order. He asked me to help him "purge his collection", as he put it. He offered me many pieces for free, but I always gently declined, convincing him that it would be better for me to sell whatever he had and give him the money. I ended up selling many of his pieces on Craigs, so many in fact that he had nothing left to enjoy. By this time, his bedroom was his home, so I decided to give him a pair of small Linaeum speakers and a small receiver so that he could listen to music while he lay in bed.

A couple of months back, staying at home was no longer an option. Sheldon was transferred to the palliative care ward of a local hospital.

It was just prior to Christmas that I saw Sheldon for the final time. He lay in his hospital bed, ravaged and emaciated by the progression of the disease. Because of his constant pain, he was heavily medicated. I nearly gasped when I saw him, but still managed a smile as he greeted me. I put down a few old Stereophile magazines by his side. His eyes brightened and he smiled. I knew he would probably never read them. As we talked, I marvelled at the character of a man who could face such a cruel, insidious disease with such courage, strength and good humour. By his comments, I could tell he did not want to see me again. I sensed it was for my sake, not his. He told me that from that point on that, "we could correspond by email."

A couple of days later, I did receive an email from Sheldon. It simply said, "Made it!" Turns out, he had made it home for Christmas. One day after Christmas, I received another email which made me laugh out loud. "Could you use any dust caps?" "Of course!" I replied. "I can always use dust caps."

That was the final time we corresponded. Sheldon passed a few days later.

Sheldon's memorial service was yesterday. Hundreds of people were there. As my wife and I walked home after the conclusion of the service, I was deep in thought, distraught and ashamed. I thought about what I had heard at the memorial, of how many people's lives that Sheldon had touched. I was ashamed that I had not the strength of character to live my life in the same exemplary manner as had Sheldon. Generous to a fault, devoid of ego or petty vices, Sheldon lived his life in a manner to which we all should aspire.

Sheldon was only 48 years old.

Good-bye dear friend.

Last edited:
He sounded like my kind of guy.

He'll be missed, by many. I'm sure of that.

Regards,
Gordon.

Very sorry to hear :( Always sad to hear of "One of us" passing on. Godspeed Shel-e-bean

Very nice tribute to a good friend. 48 years old, man thats young. From the sounds of it he is listening to the best music of all right now, angels singing. Be at peace Sheldon. You will be missed.

I think Sheldon picked his friends well. He would be rebuking you for the overstated words and still very grateful too. Definately a classy guy who, as Isaid, picked his friends well.

My condolences,
Mark

People who live their lives in that way touch more people than they realize. And you touch more people than you realize, as well.

My sincere and heartfelt condolences to all of Sheldon's family and friends.

And thank you, sealy, for giving us all much to think about today.

I am truly saddened to hear this news, but thankful to learn more about a man I can only wish I had known better. Rest in peace Sheldon Keating.

Thank you Sealy. God Bless.

I never knew Sheldon, but I was moved to tears by your beautiful tribute to your friend. I´m truly sorry for your loss, Sealy. May Sheldon Rest In Peace.

Very sad news, but a moving tribute - thank you for posting. My condolences on the loss of your friend, and to all of Sheldon's family.

From your description I don't believe Sheldon Keating has any need of my prayers. I have no doubt he is safe in His arms.I will pray for you in your losss Sealy and ask for His comfort for you.

Sealy, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. You gave a very moving testament to this man, Sheldon. 48! Barely past the half-way point. I am 48 and I just can't imagine it being over. So much left to do.

I once lost a good friend to a freak accident (on a bicycle no less). That kind of thing really shakes you up. It makes you realize how fragile life is. To be thankful for what you have and not to sweat the small stuff.

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. My sincere condolences to you and all who knew & loved Sheldon. God bless.

I just noticed that this thread is in the Speakers Forum. Moved to General Off Topic where more members will have the opportunity to see it.

Back
Top Bottom